Fontella Bass RIP

Old Jan 19th 2013, 6:35 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fontella Bass RIP

I just posted a few lyrics on Facebook, and someone asked me who sang them.

So I looked up Fontella Bass and was saddened to learn that she died on Boxing day. If it made the news, then I missed it.

Fontella recorded "Rescue me" one saturday afternoon in August 1965. Minnie Ripperton sang the backing, because she happened to be in the studio at the time.

Aretha Franklin is the singer most often associated with Rescue me, but it was Fontellas song. It took her years to get the royalties.

Fro those who haven't hear her, here she is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALQ6lzS-Npc

Sleep safe Fontella.

Rescue me
Oh take me in your arms
Rescue me
I want your tender charms
'Coz I'm lonely and I'm blue
I need you and your love too

Come on and rescue me
Come on baby and rescue me
Come on baby and rescue me
'Coz I need you, by my side
Can't you see that I'm lonely
Rescue me
Old Jan 19th 2013, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fontella Bass RIP

awww. RIP.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 6:46 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fontella Bass RIP

Minnie Ripperton, who can be heard singing backing vocals, was just 14 when she was asked to back Fontella on that Saturday afternoon. She had been hanging around the studio hoping to record a track.

Minnie could sing an amazing five and a half octaves.

In 1975 she blew me away with her single "loving you". Just four years later she was dead. She was just 31.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhTgyZyQRIE