Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Follow up after job application

Follow up after job application

Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Follow up after job application

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
I think the QLD government not replying is inexecusable really. I don't give a toss how many applications they receive for each job, it's not difficult, it's not rocket science and it doesn't take all that long to bash off a generic thanks but no thanks email. They like to make applicants jump through hoops with their criteria the least they could do is respond. Do you think it would jeopardise my prospects if I start writing back to the contacts for each application where I didn't receive a response explaining to them the error of their ways? I'm quite tempted.
Oh I agree, I think its shocking, but its such a widespread practice that all the managers just accept it. Part of the problem is that the rejection letters have to come out from various Shared Service Providers and because they are third parties they don't really care. If the responses had tocome from the individual managers I think things would be better. Not perfect mind you, but better.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:53 pm
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Have you thought of asking the agency to give you temporary assignments until they (or you) find something more permanent? That's how I started out, got me some good references and contacts
Hi Wendy, thanks, yes I did, temp jobs have been slow, but they said it is picking up and are looking for a suitable temp position. I have also said I do not mind it being a reception or admin job to start with. So, I will give them a call again on Thursday just to check in :-).
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tum
Hi Wendy, thanks, yes I did, temp jobs have been slow, but they said it is picking up and are looking for a suitable temp position. I have also said I do not mind it being a reception or admin job to start with. So, I will give them a call again on Thursday just to check in :-).
Yeah, I remember Feb being a little slow. Started picking up around the end of the month for me.

Definitely keep 'reminding' them you're there, they get fed up of you calling and give you 'sympathy work' - then you can show them what you can do, and get more
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:23 pm
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yeah, I remember Feb being a little slow. Started picking up around the end of the month for me.

Definitely keep 'reminding' them you're there, they get fed up of you calling and give you 'sympathy work' - then you can show them what you can do, and get more
Thanks Wendy, I am reminding them :-), in a nice way, do not mind getting sympathy work and you are correct, once they get good feedback (luckily I do have a good local reference from a company I worked for here in Cairns) I will get more, you are so right :-). And it will be a great starting place for a more permanent job.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:31 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Gotta remember Qld Government are also in election mode right now - that means a lot of projects may well be 'on hold' waiting to see how the dice fall before making any big decisions. I'd suggests that projects (and therefore work in govt departments) may well pick up after the election.

Alternatively of course, whoever wins the election might take a look at the books and say - time to stop spending, lets have a whole-of-government recruitment freeze! (In which case the savvy managers will be recruiting like crazy now to try and build a decent team before the freeze happens!)
Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:03 pm
tum
destination Cairns

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Gotta remember Qld Government are also in election mode right now - that means a lot of projects may well be 'on hold' waiting to see how the dice fall before making any big decisions. I'd suggests that projects (and therefore work in govt departments) may well pick up after the election.

Alternatively of course, whoever wins the election might take a look at the books and say - time to stop spending, lets have a whole-of-government recruitment freeze! (In which case the savvy managers will be recruiting like crazy now to try and build a decent team before the freeze happens!)
Ok, forgot that is the way it works.....thanks for that. There was one job that was advertised but withdrawn later (got a letter saying that 'unfortunately the job was no longer available, so that was nice). I think I saw the same job make a comeback as a temp job later on. Oh well, you never know . I will just keep on trying!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Tum

I feel for you. I lived this nightmare over the past few months and became so disheartened that I flew back to the UK only to then be offered a job in rural Victoria for which I'd interviewed more than a month previously. The main thing to understand is that public sector recruitment in Aus is painfully slooooooooooooow, and I think even more so than usual in the summer. The whole system is set up to favour those who are already inside the public sector tent, and slow recruitment processes are part of that. Selection criteria and detailed referees' reports (foreign to private sector mgrs) are other ways of locking out newbies. Such is the obsession with "fairness" they probably don't do this deliberately, but it is certainly the result.

For my two pennies' worth, I think there should be rules about a minimum % of recruitment of "outsiders" at every level, and a strict maximum time from post being advertised to filled!

According to my contacts in Canberra the use of temporary employment registers varies from active to nil depending very much on department.

Even if you have an interview you shouldn't expect to be offered the job, let alone start, for weeks. One thing that really annoyed me was the tendency to obtain references for multiple candidates - basically a complete and very embarrasing waste of your former employers' time! The references requested are very detailed and time-consuming by UK standards. The concept of offering a job "subject to references" is apparently unknown.

What type of field(s) are you looking at? I also found that within the public sector they seem very reluctant to see "crossover" skills. For example, my background is in (UK) public sector insurance & risk, but I didn't get a look in for the likes of Workcover or Medicare jobs, presumably as no direct experience in those local programs.

Best of luck, chin up!

Last edited by DC10; Feb 6th 2012 at 10:26 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:51 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DC10
.. I also found that within the public sector they seem very reluctant to see "crossover" skills. For example, my background is in (UK) public sector insurance & risk, but I didn't get a look in for the likes of Workcover or Medicare jobs, presumably as no direct experience in those local programs. !
This is Australia all over.

A degree in "Budget Fashion Retail Marketing" is seen as completely irrelevant and no use if you're applying for a job where the requirement is a degree in "Budget Footwear Retail Marketing"
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:05 am
tum
destination Cairns

Had to laugh about the Footwear remark, but I do agree it is true in most cases .

Hey DC10, thanks for your reply. Thanks for your comment about crossover skills, although it does - and therefore it should ideally be assessed as such - show your skills set.

I have worked as a project manager/trouble shooter, managing f.e. a state governments subsidiary scheme for improving the indoor climate of primary schools by implementing ducted air purifying systems, double glazing, CO2 monitors, insulation.

Another project was youth and safety: implementing measures to improve youth welfare and wellbeing as well as reducing the impact on negative youth behaviour (truancy, tagging, aggressive behaviour, drugs and alcohol abuse) on the community and their inhabitants.

Also as Grants/subsidy officer, responsible for implementing and initiating new regulations in the area of community welfare & well being (such as subsidising sports clubs, youth welfare, elderly welfare), budget of 1,200.000.00 Euro.

And there you have it :-) all these jobs were in the Netherlands, do have great references but they are not Australian and certainly not local. The other reference I do have though is from a local company working as an office adminstrator.

Will try to do what Wendy said, get temping jobs (do not mind a lowel level than I am used to, anything to get met started hey, not picky) and work my way up from there. Sounds like a plan .

Just finished (why not) a job application as an Foreign Currency Exchange person and required assessments. See if they will crossover my skills .

Cheers, Miranda