Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Follow up after job application

Follow up after job application

Old Feb 6th 2012, 1:21 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Follow up after job application

Hi,
Just wondering what the do's and dont's are regarding following up after a job application. Have sent out a couple, addressed the lovely key selection criteria (anyway, you really only need to put in an effort once per criteria and then amend them to suit the job on offer jeeeh). Most of them have a timeframe of 4 to 6 weeks. So...what do you do....call after 2 or 3 weeks and ask how the process is progressing (read: have you selected me ) or just wait and see. My mum has lit a candle, I have callousses on my fingers from keeping them crossed (hard to type like that, .....would that be an additional skill ), so any comments, opinions of you guys are really appreciated.
Cheers, Miranda
Old Feb 6th 2012, 1:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Follow up after job application

If they have a specific timeframe, I'd leave it until a few days after that to be honest. One place I applied to, told me they didn't look at any applications until the closing date, they just sat in a pile waiting.......
Old Feb 6th 2012, 1:41 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I know in my workplace that the applications don't even reach the decision maker until at least a day or two after the closing date - HR stockpile them all and then send them in a bulk lot. So if you rang here before the closing date we couldn't tell you a thing!

Very best of luck with it though!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 1:47 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If they have a specific timeframe, I'd leave it until a few days after that to be honest. One place I applied to, told me they didn't look at any applications until the closing date, they just sat in a pile waiting.......
Thanks for your answer. I probably should have been more clear in my post . The closing date was about 2 1/2 weeks ago. But the total process after the closing date will be 4/6 weeks. The applications will be looked dat by a panel who will assess them. Anyway guess I should be patient ........breathe in ...breathe out.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 1:48 am
tum
destination Cairns

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
I know in my workplace that the applications don't even reach the decision maker until at least a day or two after the closing date - HR stockpile them all and then send them in a bulk lot. So if you rang here before the closing date we couldn't tell you a thing!

Very best of luck with it though!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 1:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tum
Thanks for your answer. I probably should have been more clear in my post . The closing date was about 2 1/2 weeks ago. But the total process after the closing date will be 4/6 weeks. The applications will be looked dat by a panel who will assess them. Anyway guess I should be patient ........breathe in ...breathe out.
Ahh, ok. yes I think patience is the way to go for a little while.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 2:02 am
tum
destination Cairns

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Ahh, ok. yes I think patience is the way to go for a little while.
Mmmh yes probably, don't want to be named the 'Stalker' by calling in too often :-)
Old Feb 6th 2012, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck with it.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 2:35 am
tum
destination Cairns

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Best of luck with it.
Thanks Caroline :-) will keep you posted.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 5:05 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tum
Thanks Caroline :-) will keep you posted.
Good luck to you One thing to bear in mind though is that lots of employers don't bother to contact you after an application at all and others only bother weeks and weeks after the application, sometimes so long has passed that you have no idea what job you applied for in the first place

I'm just venturing back into applying for jobs after a couple of months off from job applications. I'm doing casual p/t work at the moment but whilst it's better than nothing, I'm just not getting enough hours to make ends meet, so back to the job market I go - wahhhhhhhhhhh I don't want to!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My last round of applications - all Qld Govt - 25 applications, heard from twp within 6 weeks of the closing date (one of those was in the office i worked in), 3 more rejected me after 3 months. Not yet heard from the rest and this was last September...!!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:59 am
tum
destination Cairns

Originally Posted by Pollyana
My last round of applications - all Qld Govt - 25 applications, heard from twp within 6 weeks of the closing date (one of those was in the office i worked in), 3 more rejected me after 3 months. Not yet heard from the rest and this was last September...!!
Thanks for your post .....7 jobs I applied for are with QLD Govt. Sounds promissing ....well at least I know what I am up for . Anyway....am also registered at a job agency (supposed to be a good one). Had to do assessments, Word, Excel, Typing and Data entry, all good. So..I am 'touching base' (their words) with them every week or so. They say the jobs are picking up and that I had a good skills set, which is what we like to hear. Anyway, 25 applications, all that hard work and only 4 replies!!!! Sad...sad...but I always think though it is not a reflection of who you are and what your skills and capabilities are. You have done your bit, they have not done theirs, shame on them on lack of communication!!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tum
Thanks for your post .....7 jobs I applied for are with QLD Govt. Sounds promissing ....well at least I know what I am up for . Anyway....am also registered at a job agency (supposed to be a good one). Had to do assessments, Word, Excel, Typing and Data entry, all good. So..I am 'touching base' (their words) with them every week or so. They say the jobs are picking up and that I had a good skills set, which is what we like to hear. Anyway, 25 applications, all that hard work and only 4 replies!!!! Sad...sad...but I always think though it is not a reflection of who you are and what your skills and capabilities are. You have done your bit, they have not done theirs, shame on them on lack of communication!!
Thought as much - if its Qld Govt they are notoriously slow with any response, as well as the fact they often don't even get the applications from the Shared Service Provider that runs the website until 3-4 days after the closing date. And its very common to never hear anything if you were unsuccessful
Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:55 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thought as much - if its Qld Govt they are notoriously slow with any response, as well as the fact they often don't even get the applications from the Shared Service Provider that runs the website until 3-4 days after the closing date. And its very common to never hear anything if you were unsuccessful
I think the QLD government not replying is inexecusable really. I don't give a toss how many applications they receive for each job, it's not difficult, it's not rocket science and it doesn't take all that long to bash off a generic thanks but no thanks email. They like to make applicants jump through hoops with their criteria the least they could do is respond. Do you think it would jeopardise my prospects if I start writing back to the contacts for each application where I didn't receive a response explaining to them the error of their ways? I'm quite tempted.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tum
Have you thought of asking the agency to give you temporary assignments until they (or you) find something more permanent? That's how I started out, got me some good references and contacts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.