Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Fly problem in Perth!!!

Fly problem in Perth!!!

Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice
Default Fly problem in Perth!!!

Now I know that people say Perth can be a bit of a problem for flies when the weather warms up, and I do remember it last year. But I have just opening the fly screen to go and get the washing in and me and kids all screamed - there must have been 80+ flies just waiting for us, the noise as well! They are all sat on the fly screen and windows in the alfesco area.
I shut the screen and thought I will wait a while or let OH do it when he gets home from work, unfortunatley, about 10 of the little buggers got in and they are the buzzing kind that are really annoying.
My question is, on every window and ceiling IN the house are loads of tiny little flies (bit like fruit flies) I havn't had any windows open or doors - how are they getting in? Nearest thing available was eldest son's lynk deodorant but think it has only made them all smell nice cos it asn't killed them!
The kids are on a mission to find them all, they have just pulled their pillows back on their beds and their are loads on the wall behind their headboards - don't think they will sleep tonight!!!
Debbie
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice
Default Re: Fly problem in Perth!!!

Whoops, meant Lynx - lynk sounds like some cheap copy!!!
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Not having that problem south of Perth. Perhaps you just smell Maybe you should try the Lynx on yourself rather than the flies
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by munch
Whoops, meant Lynx - lynk sounds like some cheap copy!!!
Their bush flies.
Do you have a range hood over the hot plates, they seem to like coming through that way and if you have a cat , it will also attract them.

turn on the fan or A/C that will drive them to one area (maybe)
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:47 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Do you have any herb plants in the kitchen? I had a problem where they attracted a load of small flies recently.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Now I know that people say Perth can be a bit of a problem for flies when the weather warms up, and I do remember it last year. But I have just opening the fly screen to go and get the washing in and me and kids all screamed - there must have been 80+ flies just waiting for us, the noise as well! They are all sat on the fly screen and windows in the alfesco area.
I shut the screen and thought I will wait a while or let OH do it when he gets home from work, unfortunatley, about 10 of the little buggers got in and they are the buzzing kind that are really annoying.
My question is, on every window and ceiling IN the house are loads of tiny little flies (bit like fruit flies) I havn't had any windows open or doors - how are they getting in? Nearest thing available was eldest son's lynk deodorant but think it has only made them all smell nice cos it asn't killed them!
The kids are on a mission to find them all, they have just pulled their pillows back on their beds and their are loads on the wall behind their headboards - don't think they will sleep tonight!!!
Debbie
I'm also NOR and went outside and same thing - tons of little flies on the fly screen.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Debbie
I haven't noticed tons of blowies yet and I'm SOR...Cockburn area. I'm sure there will be more soon and they'll be here in clouds when we BBQ.

We have those little ones...I think they get in through the ducted opening for the gas heater...or maybe they make it through the screens somehow. But they aren't that big of a nuisance for us. They are attracted to the lights, so they go up to the overhead lights and die in the fixtures. Or they hover over the floor lamp in the evenings where an enterprising spider set up shop and they get trapped in the web. They haven't been a big problem, really.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Debbie
I'm across Marmion from you in Butler and we have the same thing. The little ones are small enough to fit through the holes in the screens so that's partly how they're getting in. It's just the time of year and they should be gone soon enough.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Are they called corn flies?When the weather suddenly warms up they come out for a few nights then die.They manage to get in through fly screen mesh.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nice

we have had a lot of them today we are over in east butler OH has been our with the fly spray driving me nuts just think we go from small things to the big ones that go round and round oh the joys of the hot weather but we love it Kate
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

I'm in Secret Harbour and I've got the little ones all over our house. The brickwork is just black in places, yuk. They seem to be on the cooler/shaded side of the house but all over the windows etc. Hope they go soon, they're horrid. I didn't have the same problem last year though.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:43 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

I remember being in Detroit, Michigan. I was walking down a residedntial street when I saw a big momma black woman, sat on a porch with a dress on but no nickers eating a watermelon, showing all the things that god gave her to pee with.
I said to her "excuse me ma'aam, do you know you are exposing yourself"

She replied..... "Yessir, but it sure keep dem flies off my watermelon"
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I have not noticed a big fly issue so far this year (east/hills) although it is still early summer.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Yep, we have had a lot today too.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:14 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimandkate
we have had a lot of them today we are over in east butler OH has been our with the fly spray driving me nuts just think we go from small things to the big ones that go round and round oh the joys of the hot weather but we love it Kate
Mine's been vacuuming the ceilings all day. I've told him about 500 times that they'll all be dead in a couple of days but he won't listen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.