Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Flooring Tradesmen Opportunity's Thread!

Wikiposts

Flooring Tradesmen Opportunity's Thread!

Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:25 am
Banned

reviveflooring is on a distinguished road
Default Flooring Tradesmen Opportunity's Thread!

hi all,

I thought i'd start a thread for flooring tradesmen like myself. As you proabily know it is not that easy to make contacts in the trade before getting to oz. Im coming from south wales and heading for brissy.
I have been trying to look up showrooms and contract business' but i never seem to get through to an actual trades person, if anyone!

If anyone does want to share some experiances or contact links to get new migrants started when they land, or anyone just looking for a bit of graft, this is the thread to do it. Get involved. Even if it's just to chat about who's coat is that jacket!

If your a subbie, let's us know how busy you are and how is the pay.

I am also interested in the aussie work horse, what vans are best for the job.

Would really appreciate a bit of feedback.

Thanks All

Danny
(white van man and smiths fan)
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:51 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flooring Tradesmen Opportunity's Thread!

I'm looking to put in some timber flooring soon...

I've got a contact who can supply me the goods at a decent price, but I'm weighing up whether to spend months slowly doing a scrappy job myself to save cash, or whether to pay someone to lay it.

How much are ya gonna charge me (cash in hand, completely off the books) to lay approx 100m2 of click-system flooring?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by DadAgain

I've got a contact who can supply me the goods at a decent price, but I'm weighing up whether to spend months slowly doing a scrappy job myself to save cash, or whether to pay someone to lay it.

How much are ya gonna charge me (cash in hand, completely off the books) to lay approx 100m2 of click-system flooring?
here in the uk i would charge about £10 per m2, i was hoping this thread would shed some light on the pricing differances.

my advice would be to ask around and find someone tidy to do it for you, even if it costs you a pretty penny. your going to be seeing it for a long time and it will do your head in if its finished tidy. i will do it for you if you can wait that long!

also some of the locking systems these days can be difficult to install in areas like hallways, it is nice to look back on a job you've done yourself but tricks of the trade really will help.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by reviveflooring
here in the uk i would charge about £10 per m2, i was hoping this thread would shed some light on the pricing differances.

my advice would be to ask around and find someone tidy to do it for you, even if it costs you a pretty penny. your going to be seeing it for a long time and it will do your head in if its finished tidy. i will do it for you if you can wait that long!

also some of the locking systems these days can be difficult to install in areas like hallways, it is nice to look back on a job you've done yourself but tricks of the trade really will help.
Sorry, if its NOT finished tidy!
my mistake.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DadAgain

Hi, i laid this click system floor im my own house, 50 Sq.m, took me 2 days although there wasnt many intricate cuts, i would have charged £300 for 2 days work. So 100 Sq. meters would be £600 or a monkey for cash..... Better job if you remove skirting board first?
I am a builder and dont claim to be a flooring expert! (hope i'm still allowed in the thread!)
Attached Thumbnails Flooring Tradesmen Opportunity's Thread!-floor.jpg   Flooring Tradesmen Opportunity's Thread!-floor1.jpg   Flooring Tradesmen Opportunity's Thread!-floor2.jpg  

Last edited by bu1lder; Apr 21st 2009 at 8:26 am.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:32 am
Banned

nice job that mate, i agree about the skirting, be sure to cut out the bottom of the architraves allowing room to tuck under, you dont want any cut of the wood exposed.

£600 in the uk but does installing wood pay that much in oz. i've heard stuck down solid wood pays well there! not too sure about click.

check out the gallery on my website, *****************

Last edited by Dorothy; Apr 21st 2009 at 1:43 pm. Reason: Advertising your website can go in your signature
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

nice job that mate, i agree about the skirting, be sure to cut out the bottom of the architraves allowing room to tuck under, you dont want any cut of the wood exposed.

£600 in the uk but does installing wood pay that much in oz. i've heard stuck down solid wood pays well there! not too sure about click.

check out the gallery on my website, *********
Wow just looked at your website mate, I can see you really take pride in your work...very impressive.
I am also interested in the Oz workhorse/vans, I think i'll go for a twin cab hilux when we arrive in August, i've had several here (uk) and they seem bomb proof, although at the minute me and my work partner run Landcruisers with tipper trailers. You?
Attached Thumbnails Flooring Tradesmen Opportunity's Thread!-tipper.jpg  

Last edited by Dorothy; Apr 21st 2009 at 1:43 pm. Reason: link removed
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bu1lder
Wow just looked at your website mate, I can see you really take pride in your work...very impressive.
I am also interested in the Oz workhorse/vans, I think i'll go for a twin cab hilux when we arrive in August, i've had several here (uk) and they seem bomb proof, although at the minute me and my work partner run Landcruisers with tipper trailers. You?

cheers, i have a go like. neglected the site recently, i'd rather get on the guitar!

i got 02 lwb transit, been debating taking it with me as vans seem to be expensive there, cant really afford to do either mind. this is the only tidy van i've had. dont want to go back to having a bomber!

where you looking to go?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

cheers, i have a go like. neglected the site recently, i'd rather get on the guitar!

i got 02 lwb transit, been debating taking it with me as vans seem to be expensive there, cant really afford to do either mind. this is the only tidy van i've had. dont want to go back to having a bomber!

where you looking to go?
Off to Perth (isn't everyone?) i know what you mean about taking vehicles over been toying with the idea of taking my Audi over, 55 reg, 6 sp. tdi......too many hoops to jump through. so sod it gonna buy a holden or even another toyota.
See you play the guitar? me and my daughter play the piano, and i'm taking it with me cant wait to watch someone else moving it.
How you finding work at the min? we're doing good on the east coast, the recession seems to be on the tv.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:03 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Hi, i laid this click system floor im my own house, 50 Sq.m, took me 2 days although there wasnt many intricate cuts, i would have charged £300 for 2 days work. So 100 Sq. meters would be £600 or a monkey for cash..... Better job if you remove skirting board first?
I am a builder and dont claim to be a flooring expert! (hope i'm still allowed in the thread!)
$1000 cash.... sounds like an ok deal to me to save me the grief. Any of you fellas in Brisbane? (Not sure about removing skirting board and architraving... I'd probably break something if I tried to do that!)
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:00 am
Banned

Off to Perth (isn't everyone?) i know what you mean about taking vehicles over been toying with the idea of taking my Audi over, 55 reg, 6 sp. tdi......too many hoops to jump through. so sod it gonna buy a holden or even another toyota.
See you play the guitar? me and my daughter play the piano, and i'm taking it with me cant wait to watch someone else moving it.
How you finding work at the min? we're doing good on the east coast, the recession seems to be on the tv.

lot of the boys in the trade been laid off for a few weeks but it hasn't really affected me at the moment, im quite busy. im working in my brother in law's flooring shop on the paperwork (managing contracts), and doing a bit on the tools on the weekend.

im thinking of going into the supply side of it when i get to oz, so trying to get the feel of it now. the car and van thing is expensive and hassle, plus the aussies got massive engine's in their motors, try one of theirs for a change aint it!

been playing guitar for about 6 months, i love it an cant get enough. my mrs got a an old keyboard from her parents house, she's quite good but im crap at it. music is my passion so learning to play it was naturally the next step. how long you been playing? i wish i'd done it years ago.