Flood tax

Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flood tax

I feel for every victim of the floods, lets get that clear.

However I dont think the media are helping in any way.

Several times on the news, in queensland, I have heard this event described of equal disaster status to Hurricane Katrina. I belived that, then after this thread where we looked into New Orleans, I learnt 1600 people died, 200,000 homes were destroyed ...... Now as devastating as the QLD disaster is, it is not anywhere near Hurricane Katrina size and there is no reason, let alone benefit to the disaster/recovery, for the media to make out it is.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by keel
Yes I'm pretty sick of this mateship thing. They go on as if it's a trait off Australians only. It makes you wonder how the rest of the world ever gets over hardship.

Most Ozzies feel uncomfortable more than 50 KM from the local CBD and yet they invoke this colonial spirit as if it is unique to them. It borders on being mythical. When you ask them what it means they mumble Gallipoli, sold down the river at Singapore etc.

I do feel for the people who have struggled in the floods but I'm sorry I just don't get this mateship thing. It's as if they are saying if your neighbour is about to get washed down a storm drain the non Ozzie neighbour would do nothing but the dinky di true blue neighbour would be in like Flynn to save the day.

Keel
Brilliant post, a seemingly un dying urge to be seen as the victim is not a good bed fellow with the classic British cynicism. Re: Galippoli, British and French casualties were as heavy, but they're not worth a mention are they?
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

There was a big accident at Stanwell Park up the road from us yesterday, Rip got the best of 15 people, 1 of whom died. The press stood by and filmed afew resuscitations, which I have to say I find pretty distasteful.

Pretty much what I'm trying to say is that the media just wanna make their money and sod the people involved, and with the floods they're pushing people ofer the edge, stretching out their coverage without actually helping.

I mean, to ask a bloke who's just watched his house float away 'what's going through your mind right now?' Idiots, pretty much without exception
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
There was a big accident at Stanwell Park up the road from us yesterday, Rip got the best of 15 people, 1 of whom died. The press stood by and filmed afew resuscitations, which I have to say I find pretty distasteful.
Yeah, saw that, the TV news here seem to love nothing more than closeups of people dying or grieving, agree with you its invasive and unnecessary.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
Yeah, saw that, the TV news here seem to love nothing more than closeups of people dying or grieving, agree with you its invasive and unnecessary.

The people of Grantham were reported as wanting a week of privacy, police kept the town cut off except to emergency etc, the minute that ended the bloody media were in there like flynn, images all over the news last night.

Myself I dont feel any need to keep watching the footage over and over I understand what happened, I know its horrific, let the people share their grief in private, lets focus on the recovery.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The people of Grantham were reported as wanting a week of privacy, police kept the town cut off except to emergency etc, the minute that ended the bloody media were in there like flynn, images all over the news last night.

Myself I dont feel any need to keep watching the footage over and over I understand what happened, I know its horrific, let the people share their grief in private, lets focus on the recovery.
absolutely
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I feel for every victim of the floods, lets get that clear.

However I dont think the media are helping in any way.

Several times on the news, in queensland, I have heard this event described of equal disaster status to Hurricane Katrina. I belived that, then after this thread where we looked into New Orleans, I learnt 1600 people died, 200,000 homes were destroyed ...... Now as devastating as the QLD disaster is, it is not anywhere near Hurricane Katrina size and there is no reason, let alone benefit to the disaster/recovery, for the media to make out it is.
Maybe it depends on how you measure it. It appears that there was more inundation in Qld. Using deaths as a measure is problematic as to how many deaths were due to the disaster and how many were down to bad or erroneous management. There would have been a lot less deaths in New Orleans if they had evacuated rather than assuming the levies would hold.

Although I agree that the unique mate-ship thing is ridiculous . Saying this sort of thing is not unique to Australians. Other countries do exactly the same thing. When there's a disaster in the UK the media often portrays the Brits as being uniquely stoic.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Maybe it depends on how you measure it. It appears that there was more inundation in Qld. Using deaths as a measure is problematic as to how many deaths were due to the disaster and how many were down to bad or erroneous management. There would have been a lot less deaths in New Orleans if they had evacuated rather than assuming the levies would hold.

Although I agree that the unique mate-ship thing is ridiculous . Saying this sort of thing is not unique to Australians. Other countries do exactly the same thing. When there's a disaster in the UK the media often portrays the Brits as being uniquely stoic.
They'll mention the spirit of the blitz etc, but nothing to compare to the over the top aussie media. It's always a time for national pride when people do pull together, wherever it is, but this is being turned into a worldwide ad campaign.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

They'll mention the spirit of the blitz etc, but nothing to compare to the over the top aussie media. It's always a time for national pride when people do pull together, wherever it is, but this is being turned into a worldwide ad campaign.
I must admit that I haven't noticed it being over the top but that might be down to the news sources I follow. I don't tend to follow all of them. For example, I'll follow The Age but I don't bother with the Herald Sun. Maybe I should check out some tabloids or the news on the commercial channels!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

I must admit that I haven't noticed it being over the top but that might be down to the news sources I follow. I don't tend to follow all of them. For example, I'll follow The Age but I don't bother with the Herald Sun. Maybe I should check out some tabloids or the news on the commercial channels!
Or maybe you should try to come accross as less of a patronising snob,

Fact of the matter is that the tabloid media is the media that appeals to the masses, and they are cultivating this attitude, because a paper is printed on bigger paper, using bigger words does not automatically make it's reporting less blinkered
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

Or maybe you should try to come accross as less of a patronising snob,

Fact of the matter is that the tabloid media is the media that appeals to the masses, and they are cultivating this attitude, because a paper is printed on bigger paper, using bigger words does not automatically make it's reporting less blinkered
Wow! Apologies for coming across as a patronising snob. It wasn't intended.

I was just saying why, maybe, I don't have such an adverse reaction to this.

I'll **** off now! It's not worth debating with people who just want to take a pop at you and not your point.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jan 21st 2011 at 9:48 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

Wow! Apologies for coming across as a patronising snob. It wasn't intended.

I was just saying why, maybe, I don't have such an averse reaction to this.

I'll **** off now! It's not worth debating when people just want to take a pop at you and not your point.
was going to apologise for jumping down your throat, til you added the last bit. wasn't having a pop at you, merely how you came accross, I clearly come accross as a tabloid reading thug to you, you've just gone the long way round saying it. But since you've ****ed off you won't be reading that bit, sheesh!!

Last edited by stevenglish; Jan 21st 2011 at 9:58 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

was going to apologise for jumping down your throat, til you added the last bit. wasn't having a pop at you, merely how you came accross, I clearly come accross as a tabloid reading thug to you, you've just gone the long way round saying it
I have nothing against tabloids or tabloid readers.

They are designed to be sensationalist so people should not be surprised when they are sensationalist.

I, in no way, think you are a tabloid reading thug. That is your own invention. Sorry but I don't spend my time looking down on people. Or making up their views for them.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

You can't see how this came accross as patronising?? really?? look, i am sorry I had a go, but hey I read between the lines aswell
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:09 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The worst offender, it seems to me, is the ABC. The local Brisbane radio station has hardly had a programme for days now that is not directly linked to the flood.

It is not even about the Lockyer valley disaster......they are simply focussing on the clean up in Brisbane.....and they are are implying it is a uniquely Australian thing.

It is full of self congratulary back slapping.....and it starting to become cringeworthy and embarassing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.