Flood Levy

Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Flood Levy

It's a very imaginative way for politicians to acquire money for infrastructure.
I follow the world news and I was amazed at the proposal.
I can't imagine the US or Uk coming up with this because the people wouldn't accept it.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 28th 2011 at 2:50 pm. Reason: Keep your personal comments to yourself please.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flood Levy

Originally Posted by kevin747
I follow the world news and I was amazed at the proposal.
I see Polly had to delete some, no doubt, bitter diatribe about Australia and those of us who live here.

I'm more amazed that you STILL care what happens in Australia.

That's despite, according to you, having a hugely successful time here, then managing to sponge benefits off the system, then run off back to Bonny Scotland where you now earn a squillion times the average wage.... and yet, STILL, you can't just walk away into your Scottish idyl.

Why is that?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Errrm Pays NO tax, are you mental woman?

Believe me, in REALITY, as a family that used to earn nearly that to a family who now earns less than half of that, the former family were HEAPS better off, HEAPS!!!

Someone of $50k does not get a HCC and the child care rebate is on a sliding scale......

A family on 50K does not pay tax, a well known fact, and well published fact. The benefits they are entitled to wipe out the tax.

Tax may appear in the weekly pay packet, but take into account the family tax benefits etc claimed back over the year and they effectively pay no tax.

Well thats what the govt claim but yes they are mental
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:30 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
Is the money going to the flood victims or to rebuild the infrastructure (or both), does anyone know?
They have said infrastructure.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:44 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

So how would the flood levy work for me? I'm a relief teacher so my wages vary dramatically! I haven't earned a single cent since the start of December for example...
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
So how would the flood levy work for me? I'm a relief teacher so my wages vary dramatically! I haven't earned a single cent since the start of December for example...
Simple, you'll get nowt.

Now if you were a bridge, or a stretch of road you might be in with a chance.... but teachers aren't infrastructure.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:50 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Simple, you'll get nowt.

Now if you were a bridge, or a stretch of road you might be in with a chance.... but teachers aren't infrastructure.
Answer properly! grr lol
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:51 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

School holidays???
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:54 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by bcworld
School holidays???
Most teachers are paid over the school holidays actually! One fortnight I could get a decent wage, the next I could only get a few hundred dollars...so, how would it work for someone like me?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

Answer properly! grr lol
I was. !!

If we are to believe what we are being told then the flood levy is purely for infrastructure rebuilding costs. Are you infrastructure?
People saying to you that you are "as thick as two short planks" doesn't mean you qualify as timber for reconstruction you know.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

The public will pay for the rebuilding anyway, its just a question of this is in the form of a tax, spending cuts or govt borrowing (which is just a debt on the public to be repaid in the future).

I'm particularly against scrapping the NBN as although these big govt projects inevitably turn into giant disasters, cost double their original budget or more and eventually fail, at least they keep heaps of IT guys out of the job market and push up wages in general.

I'm talking from some experience here, I worked on the NpfIT (or unfit as we called it), the huge white elephant of computerising the NHS, for about 3 weeks until I quit in disgust. I was on a decently paid contract but moved on because the suppliers management attitude was "do things as slowly as possible, we're on the clock", many years later its something like £10 Billion over budget and still delivered very little of use, this was obvious very early on.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Just in case you don't realise I don't think the rain that caused the 1974 flood would flood Brisbane these days. It has been 100 years since the last flood this size.
I wasn't in Brisbane in 1974 so I don't know. What about the rural areas that got flooded in 1974?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The same as the rest of your tax. Most payroll depts charge you tax as if you are earning the same amount all year. If you don't earn that amount every month then you can claim back the extra tax money paid at the end of the year. Some payroll depts will let you reduce the amount of tax withheld to the correct amount of your annual salary if you ask.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Simple, you'll get nowt.

Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
I wasn't in Brisbane in 1974 so I don't know. What about the rural areas that got flooded in 1974?
It is because of what has happened since rather than then. Which rural areas?...I think it would depend which area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.