Flood Levy

Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flood Levy - Enjoy your tax rise

Originally Posted by papilon
At least you live in the city where the floods actually took place. I have had 3 retailers telling me the delay (non food items so i know it's just a lame excuse) that due to the flooding in Queensland, i live in Melbourne
That really is pushing it, I agree.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They gave us free bus travel for a week, while there were only limited buses cos of the floods. When they started charging again they promptly put the fares up
Telstra in Brisbane today told me I can't buy a top-up voucher for the internet cos of the flood and no less than 25 chemists have informed me there are no antihistamines left in the city....because of the flooding. I suggested to the last one that maybe they should try a different supplier, she told me that means getting the tablets from OUTSIDE QUEENSLAND :curse: I told her I wouldn't care if they came from Antarctica as long as I could get something to stop me sneezing, but she didn't get the point Th same pharmacy wouldn't sell me Nurofen either but this tine it wasn't cos of the flood but because I don't drive! Two passports not sufficient ID, it had to be a driving licence cos the only box on the form said driving licence number.....WTF!
Oh and Coles has run out of tomatoes and milk again.......due to the flood, good thing I won;t have any spare cash, there's nothing to spend it on

However, the good news is that the Eagle Street Pig n Whistle re-opens tonight

I came out of the kids hospital - throat operation, and had to buy kids liquid nurofen, (calpol) and it was $18 for 100ml

I thought I had heard every rip off price possible but thats just taking the biscuit!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:22 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

That is far too sensible.

Originally Posted by freebo
Of course, all they need to do is cancel the FTHOG and negative gearing on property & they'd be able to pay for the floods no dramas at all
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
That is far too sensible.
But then the battlers would have to pay a rent that related to the cost of the property, mortage, rates, water... I dont think too many $500,000 houses would be rented out for 300/400 bucks a week then.

Real costs would be more like 1000+ a week.

Then the govt would be under pressure to provide more govt housing and they aint got the money thats for sure.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
But then the battlers would have to pay a rent that related to the cost of the property, mortage, rates, water... I dont think too many $500,000 houses would be rented out for 300/400 bucks a week then.

Real costs would be more like 1000+ a week.

Then the govt would be under pressure to provide more govt housing and they aint got the money thats for sure.
More likely those investing in a badly performing asset would cease to do so, rents are already at the level that the market is prepared to pay, if the market would bear it why would landlords not increase the rent anyway? Maybe the $500,000 houses are really $300,000 houses who's prices have been inflated by the aforementioned neg gearing and FTHOG. Why should "the battlers" subsidise someone else's bad investment?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flood Levy

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
You started off the thread all very rational with a fairly decent argument. I suspect this was a ploy so that you were not seen to be just starting the thread to have yet another whinge. But as soon as you got validation from two other posters your response was:
I was watching Gillards announcement at the time and the more she went on...

It's exactly what we have come to expect of you Dean... very predictable!
How did I know you would respond with something like that or your post about "Abbot lovers"? I might not be the only one that is predictable.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 6:42 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

wonder if we'll all be rushing back to the UK..20% VAT..still least it makes the maths easier
Old Jan 27th 2011, 7:29 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII

How did I know you would respond with something like that or your post about "Abbot lovers"? I might not be the only one that is predictable.
So I'm predictable in my response to your predictability

He started it miss!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 7:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged.

Any chance some of you could remember you're actually adults? Rhetorical question.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jan 27th 2011 at 8:04 am.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:10 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that this gets defeated in the house or whatever bogan ceremony they have in this country that masquerades as government due process.

Since when did paying for capital infrastructure damaged by a 1 in 50 yr event have to be done in 1 year what happened to issuing bonds, creating debt, to fund infrastructure. Its not like they cant find 1.8bn

this is never going to get repealed, there will be some other section doing it tough as that stupid woman says who will need this levy.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
We wouldn't have this problem if people weren't stupid enough to build in flood areas.
Why? The people whose houses were trashed without insurance lost their money. I have seen a successful man in tears as he contemplates a $500,000 loss. I don't think anyone is going to run out and hand it back to him with this levy are they?

Surely this is to replace the massive amount of vital infrastructure that has been destroyed - bridges, coal lines from mines etc etc...?

Surely that is just as worth while as the ansett levy or dairy industry milk levy or gun buy back levy the coalition created? All those levies were also short term....though granted the coalition left the one on the milk well past its due date so labor had to remove it.

Gillard should just impose a hypocrisy levy on Abbott
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fish.01

Surely that is just as worth while as the ansett levy or dairy industry milk levy or gun buy back levy the coalition created? All those levies were also short term....though granted the coalition left the one on the milk well past its due date so labor had to remove it.
I don't remember flights coming down when the Ansett levy was 'removed' .... don't think it was removed as much as absorbed!

If you live in a flood prone area, you should pay a flood levy EVERY year ... then when you need to rebuild, we can take it from the money that YOU paid! Same with bushfires and people living with shrub all around them .... annual fire levy for living there!

Thats it .... I'm taking over the country! Problem solved!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBJ14
I don't remember flights coming down when the Ansett levy was 'removed' .... don't think it was removed as much as absorbed!
Ansett levy scrapped: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...220597491.html

Originally Posted by JBJ14
If you live in a flood prone area, you should pay a flood levy EVERY year ... then when you need to rebuild, we can take it from the money that YOU paid! Same with bushfires and people living with shrub all around them .... annual fire levy for living there!

Thats it .... I'm taking over the country! Problem solved!
It is not to rebuild the houses in the flood zone. You're fired

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 27th 2011 at 9:11 am.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:04 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Flood Levy

I've been pleasantly surprised by the sensible nature of Gillard's response. A one-off 0.5% increase to the Medicare levy (combined with the scrapping or delaying of expensive and potentially worthless projects like the "cash for clunkers" scheme) sounds good to me. I won't be eligible to pay it, which is another nice bonus.

Gillard has obviously decided to follow the example of John Howard, who introduced a whopping six different levies during his time as PM, even when the budget was in surplus.

So the precedent was set by the Liberals, and Gillard is in good company here. It's a responsible approach, and reflects good financial management.

But Gillard needs to go much further. The Independents are right to push for a federal disaster fund, and Gillard should not be allowed to get her levy unless she agrees to create one. It's an excellent way to make up for the deficiencies of previous federal governments, none of which showed any foresight on this issue.

The money for a disaster fund should come from whatever is left of the stimulus budget, since our economy doesn't need any more artificial stimulation and hasn't for some time. She should also scrap the first home owner's grant, which is massively expensive, economically redundant, and arguably a significant contributor to Australia's overheated property market.

A permanent "disaster tax" is unnecessary, and would inevitably be skimmed off by the government over time. New taxes are an easy way for lazy governments to crib some more cash without spending more effort on balancing the books (e.g. Abbott's proposed tax on businesses to fund maternity leave; why not just run the budget properly in the first place?)

A one-off levy puts the responsibility back on Treasury to keep its accounts in order.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:13 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

As others have said the levy is to rebuild infrastructure that was destroyed. Roads, rail, schools etc. The stuff needed to get the economy going. Not even the Libs are denying the spend is needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.