Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Flood Assistance - NO Help for Temporary Residents

Flood Assistance - NO Help for Temporary Residents

Old Feb 9th 2011, 4:58 am
In Cairns and loving it!!

The morris clan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Flood Assistance - NO Help for Temporary Residents

I have just been reading this as due to Cyclone Yasi I was unable to work for 3 days & being a casual worker lost 2 thirds of my wages. We are here on a 457 visa, do not claim any benefits as we are not entitled to them & generally live hand to mouth saving every penny we can to cover bills, school fees for 3 children, Rego etc. We landed here with only $3500 in October 2007. I have looked into getting the relief payment to hopefully cover some of my missing wages & as it is means tested I would have qualified but due to our visa got told no chance. My Husbands wages covers our rent, car payments & food, my wages cover everything else like bills, rego, car insurance, school fees & petrol. Our sponsoring employer applied for a new nomination for RSMS back in July, something which should have only took about a month but we are still waiting for it to be approved. Our whole Visa should have been approved by now but due to Immi taking forever to do this nomination, we are struggling even more now. $350 may not be a lot of money to most of you as you all get permanent visa rights & benefits but it is a lot of money for us. We knew when we came here we would not be allowed benefits for the kids but if we have to pay the same taxes, levies etc, wouldn't it be nice just for once to be told I could get help just for the 1 week I couldn't get to work because there was a cyclone.

I think the thing that really pissed me off though has to be seeing all the 16 year olds on Facebook shouting that they are going to spend their $1000.00 on a new playstation, lcd tv, gym membership or something else like that, when I have lost the amount of money last week that I should have been paying out in bills, which will screw us over financially as I have to ensure I stick to a strict payment & saving thing to ensure I can pay for what we need & try to spoil our children now & again.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The morris clan
I have just been reading this as due to Cyclone Yasi I was unable to work for 3 days & being a casual worker lost 2 thirds of my wages. We are here on a 457 visa, do not claim any benefits as we are not entitled to them & generally live hand to mouth saving every penny we can to cover bills, school fees for 3 children, Rego etc. We landed here with only $3500 in October 2007. I have looked into getting the relief payment to hopefully cover some of my missing wages & as it is means tested I would have qualified but due to our visa got told no chance. My Husbands wages covers our rent, car payments & food, my wages cover everything else like bills, rego, car insurance, school fees & petrol. Our sponsoring employer applied for a new nomination for RSMS back in July, something which should have only took about a month but we are still waiting for it to be approved. Our whole Visa should have been approved by now but due to Immi taking forever to do this nomination, we are struggling even more now. $350 may not be a lot of money to most of you as you all get permanent visa rights & benefits but it is a lot of money for us. We knew when we came here we would not be allowed benefits for the kids but if we have to pay the same taxes, levies etc, wouldn't it be nice just for once to be told I could get help just for the 1 week I couldn't get to work because there was a cyclone.

I think the thing that really pissed me off though has to be seeing all the 16 year olds on Facebook shouting that they are going to spend their $1000.00 on a new playstation, lcd tv, gym membership or something else like that, when I have lost the amount of money last week that I should have been paying out in bills, which will screw us over financially as I have to ensure I stick to a strict payment & saving thing to ensure I can pay for what we need & try to spoil our children now & again.
I have so much sympathy for you and those in your position. It is shockingly unfair that temp visa holders don't get the payments. Someone at work mentioned people claiming cos they had lost power to their house - they drove somewhere and stayed with a friend, but still claimed.
So I mentioned what I'd found on here, that temp visa holders can't claim and my colleagues were stunned. Admittedly most of them knew little about such visas as 457, temp spouse and the NZers 461 and thought I meant WHV etc, but when I explained they agreed its shocking - all you guys pay tax and are part of the community, yet with something this large and devastating you are excluded.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:47 am
In Cairns and loving it!!

The morris clan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I have so much sympathy for you and those in your position. It is shockingly unfair that temp visa holders don't get the payments. Someone at work mentioned people claiming cos they had lost power to their house - they drove somewhere and stayed with a friend, but still claimed.
So I mentioned what I'd found on here, that temp visa holders can't claim and my colleagues were stunned. Admittedly most of them knew little about such visas as 457, temp spouse and the NZers 461 and thought I meant WHV etc, but when I explained they agreed its shocking - all you guys pay tax and are part of the community, yet with something this large and devastating you are excluded.
Thanks Pollyana,

I emailed my Local MP regarding this but due to him being a state MP he said he couldn't do anything about it but he had forwarded my email to our Federal Senator to see if she could look into this & how people on temp visas are affected by not being allowed certain benefits at times like this.
Basically the money we have lost will now result in my son who is due to turn 16 on the 20th having to wait a few weeks for his birthday present off us paying for his L's & 2 driving lessons a grand total of $200 as we can no longer afford to pay for it as we have had to use the money saved for that to pay other things. Just as well he is mature & understands that we cannot afford to give him it for a while now.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:59 am
Just Joined

EthenGroom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Unfortunately it is not only some Kiwi's that will rort the system. I was told of a pensioner that lived in one town all his life claiming compo becacuse he couldn't access one particular town for his shopping....he seemed to forget there were other towns in the area that he could access........
Apparently still got the money.....
I believe working holiday makers might not get compensation.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:54 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EthenGroom
I believe working holiday makers might not get compensation.
No-one is talking about WHV holders. This matter concerns all temporary residents.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:10 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Flood Assistance - NO Help for Temporary Residents

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No-one is talking about WHV holders. This matter concerns all temporary residents.
Including some poor buggers who are permanently temporary

BB
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:28 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Including some poor buggers who are permanently temporary

BB
Exactly
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:35 am
Just Joined

miles101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The morris clan
Thanks Pollyana,

I emailed my Local MP regarding this but due to him being a state MP he said he couldn't do anything about it but he had forwarded my email to our Federal Senator to see if she could look into this & how people on temp visas are affected by not being allowed certain benefits at times like this.
Basically the money we have lost will now result in my son who is due to turn 16 on the 20th having to wait a few weeks for his birthday present off us paying for his L's & 2 driving lessons a grand total of $200 as we can no longer afford to pay for it as we have had to use the money saved for that to pay other things. Just as well he is mature & understands that we cannot afford to give him it for a while now.
I also contacted my local and state MP regarding this matter, and i was given the following info ;

While the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment delivered by Centrelink is dependent on Australian residency, Australian residency is not a factor in the determination of eligibility for Queensland Government assistance. For more information on Queensland Government assistance you may be eligible for, please contact the Queensland Community Recovery Line on 1800 173 349, visit your nearest Community Recovery Centre or visit http://www.communityservices.qld.gov...nce/index.html

I was very grateful for this help and believe its the same for people who have been cyclone affected, its only $170 per person, but its something and you can claim for all your family therefore this will help greatly with bills etc, and its open to all residents whether temporary or permanant!