Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Flippin' tenants done a runner

Flippin' tenants done a runner

Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:42 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flippin' tenants done a runner

We bought an investment property in a nice area 6 months ago and our tenants moved in on the day of settlement. A British couple, newly arrived so I knew they wouldn't stay too long but they've just upped and left without telling anybody except Energex and Telstra. Rented furniture is still there.

Why would they do that? They only had 4 weeks left on the lease and its such a desirable area that, if they'd handed in notice they would have got 3 weeks of their bond back. Now they won't get anything. I just can't understand it.

One good thing, however, our agents have been fantastic. Seven days after a missed rental payment they were on the case. Up until now, I didn't think good rental agencies existed.

Jane
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:43 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flippin' tenants done a runner

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
We bought an investment property in a nice area 6 months ago and our tenants moved in on the day of settlement. A British couple, newly arrived so I knew they wouldn't stay too long but they've just upped and left without telling anybody except Energex and Telstra. Rented furniture is still there.

Why would they do that? They only had 4 weeks left on the lease and its such a desirable area that, if they'd handed in notice they would have got 3 weeks of their bond back. Now they won't get anything. I just can't understand it.

One good thing, however, our agents have been fantastic. Seven days after a missed rental payment they were on the case. Up until now, I didn't think good rental agencies existed.

Jane
Idiots aren't they ! Make sure they haven't raked up loads of debt at your address.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they didn't know they would get any bond money back. Not everyone knows that they can get out of the rental agreement early. That's probably why they left without getting the bond back.

Still a rotten thing to do though, lets hope your next tennants are better
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:00 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Maybe they didn't know they would get any bond money back. Not everyone knows that they can get out of the rental agreement early. That's probably why they left without getting the bond back.
They would have known that the furniture rental company would want their furniture back, though.

Jane
p.s. we've had no problems in over 5 years renting out in the UK, but first one here goes belly up.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:05 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

They have probably read all the many threads on here which tell them they can run up debt and not be traced.

Seriously I hope things work out OK.

G
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:08 am
Born to be ignored

Originally Posted by Grayling
They have probably read all the many threads on here which tell them they can run up debt and not be traced.

G
Thank you. When are you coming over? One lovely unit (almost new) in Indooroopilly for rent.

Jane
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:08 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a bit shite, but look on the bright side, you can badmouth them to the furniture rental company and you can also make sure the bond people know, or that they are not suitable rentees, which will come up on the paperwork for their next rental.... if that's what they've done.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

They would have known that the furniture rental company would want their furniture back, though.

Jane
p.s. we've had no problems in over 5 years renting out in the UK, but first one here goes belly up.
Ah, good point. I always see the best in people, even when they don't deserve it

Originally Posted by Grayling

G

Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. When are you coming over? One lovely unit (almost new) in Indooroopilly for rent.

Jane
Probably October......not sure if we will live there but My son has just bought a house in Indooroopilly.

He was renting in Taringa until recently.....it wasn't him was it?

G
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:54 pm
Magnetic Member

magnetman is on a distinguished road

Jane
I can only imagine they have bought their own home, and have no intention of ever renting again, because they will automatically go on the blacklist that every rental agency checks in their vetting process for tenants. At least the bond would cover your loss. Idiots.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Jane
We've had no problems renting our IP's over here, the rent comes in on the dot and the places are always spotless. In the UK it was nothing but aggravation. I always remember the words of my hero Van Hoegstraten when he said "All my tenants are scum". I know it's difficult to generalise but I think I must have got all his old tenants!