Wikiposts

Flies

Old Dec 12th 2011, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Exod-us is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flies

Who would of thought that a life changing decision could come down to this. We currently live in Victoria and love it here but my job isn't.....secure and we have been looking around. I went to visit Bunbury, south WA at the weekend. The job is an absolute dream (and they gave me a verbal offer) and the "city" is gorgeous. That is apart from the flies. At the moment they are the sticky type that just want to land and crawl on you. At least they don't bite! Aeroguard has limited effect. But we moved to Oz to enjoy the outdoors - is this possible if you're arms are flailing maniacally if you step outside? It really is the only hiccup. That and the fact that we have to move the children 6 months after they last moved - but we could bribe them with talk of their own bedrooms. I guess I want someone just to say the move is worth it for the 9 months of the year when it'll be fine. Any thoughts appreciated!
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flies

Originally Posted by Exod-us
Who would of thought that a life changing decision could come down to this. We currently live in Victoria and love it here but my job isn't.....secure and we have been looking around. I went to visit Bunbury, south WA at the weekend. The job is an absolute dream (and they gave me a verbal offer) and the "city" is gorgeous. That is apart from the flies. At the moment they are the sticky type that just want to land and crawl on you. At least they don't bite! Aeroguard has limited effect. But we moved to Oz to enjoy the outdoors - is this possible if you're arms are flailing maniacally if you step outside? It really is the only hiccup. That and the fact that we have to move the children 6 months after they last moved - but we could bribe them with talk of their own bedrooms. I guess I want someone just to say the move is worth it for the 9 months of the year when it'll be fine. Any thoughts appreciated!
Aeroguard will have zero effect on those flies. They're probably bush flies, persistent bastards and if you want to live in that part of the world, then you will just have to get used to them.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:14 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Flies are no different to humans, in their desire for greener grass. Just drag a rotting carcass behind you and they will leave you alone.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exod-us
Well, you've come out to at the right time of year to see them (bush flies) at their worst. They peak in December and are usually gone by the end of January (as long as we get our heat back and no more of this mid-20s nonsense).

And Bunbury and area will have it pretty bad. I stopped in Busselton once during our reccie (December 2008) and we tried to have a picnic by the pier but seriously, our arms and faces were just black from flies. We gave up.

What I'm saying is 1) this is the worst time of the year for them and if you can stand it, then you'll be okay 2) they're usually gone by the end of January and then you just have the regular flies and mozzies to deal with until next October

Now as to whether you want to do the move or live in Bunbury (aside from the flies), well that's a whole other thread.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

If you live as close to the coast as possible , flies are only ever noticeable when the east winds prevail - if Dr (westerlies ) is blowing we never get any flies.

Although you can get too much wind
as the gentle breezes south of Geraldton prove.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Exod-us is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone - really helpful. Once you guys told me what they were, I googled bush flies and found a great little booklet telling you all about them.
http://www.viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext.html
Japonica - I think I did in fact hit the December peak and it should only get better. Hurrah for the dung beetle!

Decision made then.