Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

FLASH FLOOD WARNING DOWNSTREAM FROM TOOWOOMBA/ BRISBANE FLOODING

FLASH FLOOD WARNING DOWNSTREAM FROM TOOWOOMBA/ BRISBANE FLOODING

Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FLASH FLOOD WARNING DOWNSTREAM FROM TOOWOOMBA

Originally Posted by Kim67
I've sent emails to mates with families in the Dalby, Chinchilla, Toowoomba areas tonight wishing them all the best for their family members' safety. A lot of my friends are originally from those areas and I catch up with their families at parties and stuff and it's horrible watching the news and thinking that any of them could be involved.
I hope they're ok...dalby is flooded again but I think with plenty of warning.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Kamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud of

I've just had the mother in law on from Toowoomba and she is in bits. Luckily, they arnt flooded as they are on the side of a mountain, but there are risks now of mud slide's and they are cut off by the floods. Its really worrying.

My husbands got a flight booked flying into Brisbane on Friday and I don't know weather to tell him (or rather beg him) to cancel.

We have friends and family in nearly every town thats been devastated by this, my heart just brakes for them
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kamie26
I've just had the mother in law on from Toowoomba and she is in bits. Luckily, they arnt flooded as they are on the side of a mountain, but there are risks now of mud slide's and they are cut off by the floods. Its really worrying.

My husbands got a flight booked flying into Brisbane on Friday and I don't know weather to tell him (or rather beg him) to cancel.

We have friends and family in nearly every town thats been devastated by this, my heart just brakes for them
Fingers crossed everyone is ok and it will start to settle down now...why are you worried about your husband flying in?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Kamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fish.01
Fingers crossed everyone is ok and it will start to settle down now...why are you worried about your husband flying in?
A couple of reasons really. The mother in law told me that there is a cyclone supposedly on its way for Friday and that Brisbane has a flood warning in place also, I have no idea where he is going to stay as he was supposed to stay with them, also all our other friends and family are either flooded out themselves, or it would be too difficult for him to get to them.

I'm what you could call a worrier.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A couple of reasons really. The mother in law told me that there is a cyclone supposedly on its way for Friday and that Brisbane has a flood warning in place also, I have no idea where he is going to stay as he was supposed to stay with them, also all our other friends and family are either flooded out themselves, or it would be too difficult for him to get to them.

Oh I thought you were in Brisbane....still only low level warnings for brisbane currently....at the moment the weather is forecast to ease later in the week so hopefully flash flooding will disappear in many areas by then.

maybe if polly gets a quick break she can give you the current outlook...
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:53 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There is NO cyclone on its way for Friday. There is a system way out near Fiji that will probably go south but certainly wouldn't be here for Friday. Also a system up near Darwin but that won't be a cyclone either.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There is NO cyclone on its way for Friday. There is a system way out near Fiji that will probably go south but certainly wouldn't be here for Friday. Also a system up near Darwin but that won't be a cyclone either.
This is good to know, thank you.

My mother in law is not known for her ability to communicate correct information. She once sent a letter to my husband telling him the news that the dog was sick and his dad had died. He phoned her in a panic only to be told it was the other way round.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:58 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
From ABC 612brisbane via Twitter

Police have set up a number for relatives/friends concerned about those affected by today's Lockyer Valley/Twba flood event 1300 993 191
Old Jan 10th 2011, 1:05 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My mother in law is not known for her ability to communicate correct information. She once sent a letter to my husband telling him the news that the dog was sick and his dad had died. He phoned her in a panic only to be told it was the other way round.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 1:24 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

That is soooooo funny
Old Jan 10th 2011, 1:29 pm
Home and Happy

No problem

Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:08 pm
Home and Happy

At least eight people have died in the latest wave of flooding in Queensland - described as an "inland tsunami" - and more than 70 may be missing.
Others are stranded on rooftops waiting for rescues that could not start before first light today.
Ms Bligh said there were a large number of people clinging to rooftops in the Lockyer Valley, east of Toowoomba, but heavy fog had grounded the state's helicopters. Ms Bligh said 43 successful rooftop rescues had been made in the Withcott area. She described an "eight metre wall of water" flowing down the Lockyer Valley from Toowoomba. "This is without doubt our darkest hour in the past fortnight." At least one house was swept away and another was shifted on its foundations at Murphys Creek in the valley.

1300 993 191: hotline for Toowoomba, Murphy's Creek, Grantham and Withcott areas.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:25 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Radar not too pretty...I guess the heavy stuff being south of Wivenhoe catchment is a good thing though?

Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:28 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Oh wow so scary, Ive been keeping up to date with the news on the floods so scared for friends! were we used to live on the sunshine coast is flooded! dont know how bad though!

hope every one is staying safe so sad to read people have died
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:32 pm
Home and Happy

Transmitters in the areas of the Southeast Coast District and the Darling Downs and Granite Belt District southeast of Dalby to Goondiwindi are REQUESTED TO USE THE STANDARD EMERGENCY WARNING SIGNAL BEFORE BROADCASTING.

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for heavy rainfall leading to localised flash flooding and worsening the
existing river flood situation For people in the Southeast Coast District and the Darling Downs and Granite Belt District southeast of Dalby to Goondiwindi.

Issued at 8:00 am on Tuesday 11 January 2011

Synoptic Situation: At 8am AEST, an upper level low was located over the Darling Downs and Granite Belt district and is forecast to move to the southwest and slowly weaken.

Heavy rain areas and thunderstorms are expected to continue through the
Southeast Coast and Darling Downs and Granite Belt today. Heavy falls will lead to localised flash flooding and will worsen existing river flooding.

Currently, an intense slow moving band of rainfall extends from about Maroochydore to Warwick. Rainfall rates in this band are reaching 80 to 100 m
per hour.

Flood warnings are current for various rivers and streams in these districts.
Please refer to these products [www.bom.gov.au/qld] for further information.

The Severe Weather Warning for the southern parts of Wide Bay and Burnett and eastern Maranoa and Warrego and northwestern parts of Darling Downs and Granite Belt districts has been cancelled. However showers and thunderstorms will persist through the area and may produce heavy rainfall in these parts.

The State Emergency Service advises that people in the affected area should:
· avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters
· take care on the roads, especially in heavy downpours
· avoid swimming in swollen rivers and creeks

Contact the SES on 132 500 for emergency assistance if required.

The next warning is due to be issued by 11am Tuesday.

FOR THOSE UNFAMILIAR WITH SEWS - STANDARD EMERGENCY WARNING SIGNAL, usually used for cyclone warnings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.