British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   FLASH FLOOD WARNING DOWNSTREAM FROM TOOWOOMBA/ BRISBANE FLOODING (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/flash-flood-warning-downstream-toowoomba-brisbane-flooding-699938/)

bcworld Jan 11th 2011 2:15 am

Re: FLASH FLOOD WARNING DOWNSTREAM FROM TOOWOOMBA

Ipswich has had 70mm of rain in the last 4 hours, and the heaviest stuff (which seems to be getting even heavier) now appears to be up smack bang over Somerset & Wivenhoe dams, they must surely be getting massive inflows as the rain is slow moving and almost constant. Keeps piling in from the NE as well. :ohmy:

http://i54.tinypic.com/mr8iae.png

bcworld Jan 11th 2011 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 9092264)
With apologies for being so geographically challenged, please can anybody tell me how Sherwood is doing? Got a friend there and been told it's at risk.

Ta.

Some pics here from Sherwood S. :(

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/g...3022068?page=3

Alfresco Jan 11th 2011 2:18 am

With apologies for being so geographically challenged, please can anybody tell me how Sherwood is doing? Got a friend there and been told it's at risk.

Ta.

Don't know about Sherwood yet. Sorry.

Wol Jan 11th 2011 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Kamie26 (Post 9092274)
This is so frustrating, the news in the UK are broadcasting nothing other that the shooting in America and we cannot get any of the australian news channels to play on the internet. We're having to make do with the updates that you guys and on Facebook are providing (thank you so much by the way). Its difficult being so far away while this is happening.

OH mum and dads phone lines are down. We did manage to speak to his sister a little while ago and she was on the way to get her mother in law in Caboolture but that looks like it might be totally isolated now, and we cant get through to her.

Try YouTube - for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY

you don't really want to know...

DeadVim Jan 11th 2011 2:21 am

Ta.

I have a friend there and he isn't too worried but he is on the relatively higher ground ... will all depend on where they are situated I guess.

Sorry I can't be more specific I'm a little pre-occupied having looked at the creek backing onto our place ... much packing and backing-up photos :unsure:

freebo Jan 11th 2011 2:31 am

Sky News showed a large number of Bris Suburbs on Flood Alert, Sherwood was among them :(

Kooky. Jan 11th 2011 2:33 am

Thanks all. Trying to get in touch with her.

Thinking of you all. xxx

freebo Jan 11th 2011 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Kamie26 (Post 9092274)

OH mum and dads phone lines are down. We did manage to speak to his sister a little while ago and she was on the way to get her mother in law in Caboolture but that looks like it might be totally isolated now, and we cant get through to her.

Sky News here reports Caboolture is now isolated, according to police.

BEVS Jan 11th 2011 2:39 am

This is terrible. Just terrible.

Stay as safe as you can everyone.
Thinking of you all over there.

BEVS

Wol Jan 11th 2011 2:42 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9092299)
I have a friend there and he isn't too worried but he is on the relatively higher ground ... will all depend on where they are situated I guess.

Sorry I can't be more specific I'm a little pre-occupied having looked at the creek backing onto our place ... much packing and backing-up photos :unsure:

Don't reply - but the very best.

Alfresco Jan 11th 2011 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 9092295)
Try YouTube - for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY

you don't really want to know...

Just embedding it.

Cheetah7 Jan 11th 2011 2:51 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9092299)

Hope everything is OK for you and your family, stay safe and let us know as soon as everything is OK. Thinking of you mate.:o

DeadVim Jan 11th 2011 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 9092324)
Don't reply - but the very best.

The fact I have time to reply is good thing :)

Just a preliminary pack of the car just in case ... don't want to forget something vital ... like kid or dog :D

We should be right but I'd rather be packed and ready than not ...

It's fair to say the appeal of the rain is diminishing.

>Trigger< Jan 11th 2011 2:58 am

Brisbane City Council Flood Flag Maps

PLEASE NOTE: This is a temporary and partial archive of flood flag maps for the Brisbane City region. It will be pulled down once the floods have passed or the Brisbane City Council site is back up and running.

http://lexiphanic.com/floodmaps/

DeadVim Jan 11th 2011 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 9092333)
Hope everything is OK for you and your family, stay safe and let us know as soon as everything is OK. Thinking of you mate.:o

Ta, it's just making sure if we need to shift we can at the moment.

jad n rich Jan 11th 2011 3:12 am

Originally Posted by freebo (Post 9092313)

Tothe lady worried about Caboolture, it has a couple of really low points, one being the big duck pond area near the centre of town. The partner ran a big project there and it was not uncommon for water to be over the roads . I know this rain is far worse than usual but I think Caboolture is one place that would have been well aware and therefor prepared:thumbup:, as well as one can be in this weather.

DeadVim Jan 11th 2011 3:20 am

Originally Posted by >Trigger< (Post 9092339)
Brisbane City Council Flood Flag Maps

PLEASE NOTE: This is a temporary and partial archive of flood flag maps for the Brisbane City region. It will be pulled down once the floods have passed or the Brisbane City Council site is back up and running.

http://lexiphanic.com/floodmaps/

Really useful thanks :thumbup:

bcworld Jan 11th 2011 3:26 am

Just beware...take care even if the maps shows no creek or overland flood.

I once ended up driving in a flash flood in Carina in heavy rain, rapidly rising water and engine cut out...on the map for that road, nothing.

Steve2009 Jan 11th 2011 3:26 am

http://www.brisbanebusinessfinance.c..._Flood_map.pdf

jad n rich Jan 11th 2011 3:32 am

Should add, even though we are not flooded, there seem to be real problems with the phones. Home, business and mobile lines all troublesome this morning.

The rain guage at home - 210mm so far since 6 am, and it was overflowing so probably more than that.

Driving round this morning, all the usual troublespots where there is a low dip in the road have road closed signs, like BC said these can be in areas which are not flood prone.

moneypenny20 Jan 11th 2011 3:34 am

Waiting at work for my back to school delivery, got on to my supplier in Wynnum to find out they'd been evacuated and she's at home but has no idea where my delivery is because the transport department don't have access to their tracking system. Didn't realise Wynnum would be in trouble.:blink:

fish.01 Jan 11th 2011 3:35 am

Grid lock getting out of the CBD as most seem to be have sent home at the same time.

Kamie26 Jan 11th 2011 3:36 am

Originally Posted by freebo (Post 9092313)

They managed to get her and a luckily home, just in time. I now have a friend out there who is only 19 and on her own and has no idea what to do, I wish I knew she was still there or I would have told the BIL to get her too. I've given her the emergency line number and told her that if she feels she is in danger to call them, tell them where she is and get on the roof but I also told her that I didn't think it would get that bad there but to listen to the radio.

I hope this has been the right advice.

fish.01 Jan 11th 2011 3:40 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9092381)
Waiting at work for my back to school delivery, got on to my supplier in Wynnum to find out they'd been evacuated and she's at home but has no idea where my delivery is because the transport department don't have access to their tracking system. Didn't realise Wynnum would be in trouble.:blink:

Lot of people sent home now - just in case. Wynnum probably just getting the usual localised flooding just like other parts of Brisbane - nothing overly serious in most parts at the moment I think. Just the one's reported, caboolture area. A massive almost full dam, constant rain and the catchment filling up just puts you on edge :unsure:

bcworld Jan 11th 2011 3:40 am

http://www.seqwater.com.au/public/home

Wivenhoe Dam
Releases through five gates have been increased to 344,000 megalitres as at 1.00pm and may need to be increased to around 516,000 megalitres a day by Wednesday 12 January due to rainfall in the Stanley and Upper Brisbane.

516,000 ML is about 3 times all the water that Wivenhoe held back in the day (2007) when I was convinved we would run out of water!

fish.01 Jan 11th 2011 3:53 am

Not looking good for the next few days for people in flood area's:

Forecasts show about 6500 properties will be flooded in Brisbane, Lord Mayor Campbell Newman says.

He says the next few days will see a large-scale disaster unfolding across the city, ahead of an expected peak in the Brisbane River on Thursday.

Mr Newman said the 6500 homes and businesses expected to experience direct, "significant" flooding would affect 14,900 people.

He said a further 16,500 properties would be partially affected by flooding.

"So the situation is very serious," he told reporters on Tuesday.

He said the latest advice suggested the Brisbane River would peak at the port office gauge, in the CBD, on Thursday at 4.2 metres.

"To put that in context, the 1974 flood was higher but a 4.2-metre reading at the Brisbane gauge is very significant indeed."

He said the figures were "very scary".

"We are in uncharted territory," Mr Newman said.

He said the Wivenhoe dam, built after the 1974 floods to protect Brisbane, was full, and dam managers had no choice but to continue with increased, controlled releases.

"It's going to come down the river to the city of Brisbane and there's not much dam managers can do about that," he said.

An evacuation centre has been set up at the RNA Showgrounds at Bowen Hills and is now open for flood-affected residents.

But Mr Newman said that where possible, people should evacuate to the homes of friends and family, and work out now what to do with their pets, as the showgrounds would not take animals.

"We ask people to not panic, this is serious," he said.

"Where possible, stay at home."

He said people should begin preparing themselves and friends and family now so they're not caught out on Thursday.

Mr Campbell said the situation had deteriorated significantly since Monday, when only a few hundred homes had been expected to flood.

"The situation has obviously demonstrably deteriorated," he said after a meeting of Brisbane's disaster management group.

"Today is very significant, tomorrow is bad, and Thursday is going to be devastating for the residents and businesses concerned."

(Source: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...to-flood-mayor)

Pollyana Jan 11th 2011 4:09 am

http://www.facebook.com/QueenslandPolice

excellent for updates.

Anyone who floooded in 1974 you are at risk and will probably flood now.

If you evacuate please take important paperwork, medication, bedding - esp if going to an evac centre, they are very short of bedding.

If you can let people know you are evacuating, then please do, and get them to pass the message to other family and friends, takes the pressure off police and red Cross as they are dealing with a lot of people enquiring about relatives.

Pollyana Jan 11th 2011 4:12 am

Re: FLASH FLOOD WARNING DOWNSTREAM FROM TOOWOOMBA/ BRISBANE FLOODING

Eagle Street Pier underwater.

All roads to Bribie closed

Bruce closed Caboolture

Gympie Rd closed both ways Lawnton

fish.01 Jan 11th 2011 4:12 am

anna bligh reporting that brisbane & ipswich will flood at 74 flood levels AND HIGHER

bcworld Jan 11th 2011 4:16 am

Originally Posted by asprilla (Post 9092159)
looking at the radar, cleveland and the area south-east of the city seem to be getting off scot-free :confused:

The heavier stuff seems to be heading for southside and Gold Coast now while breaking up over the dams. Keep your eye on that creek Vim!

Pollyana Jan 11th 2011 4:27 am

Originally Posted by fish.01 (Post 9092445)
anna bligh reporting that brisbane & ipswich will flood at 74 flood levels AND HIGHER

Thats correct. EMQ currently looking at higher levels than 1974.

Steve2009 Jan 11th 2011 4:32 am

I'm guessing the CBD around Eagle St will be a no go for a couple of days?

jad n rich Jan 11th 2011 4:33 am

If anyone has visited or lived in brisbane or tropical qld and experienced the sort of extreme rain you get in a severe storm for half an hour or so, well this rain is like that but on and off for weeks now.

It brightens up for a few minutes then grey and its off again. We had thunder at 10 pm, 2 am and a house shaking lot that went on from 6am to 8am today. The creek/falls down the side of our property sounds like a train storming down the mountain, luckily it falls from our place another 100 metres or so so shouldnt flood us :fingerscrossed:

We must have had UK's annual rainfall (600 ml i think ?? ) in the last 2/3 days alone. Only sun I have seen in last month was the week in melbourne:lol:

JackTheLad Jan 11th 2011 4:33 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9092381)

Some parts of Wynnum are quite low. The waterfront area was flooded last month. It was a bit before Christmas if I remember correclty.

Mrs JTL

DeadVim Jan 11th 2011 4:34 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9092448)
The heavier stuff seems to be heading for southside and Gold Coast now while breaking up over the dams. Keep your eye on that creek Vim!

Just what I'm about to do ... just packed all the important documents ... and I found my passport ... bonus :blink:

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9092456)
Thats correct. EMQ currently looking at higher levels than 1974.

Maybe a sub-forum would be useful to marshall all this info?

I know you are busy ;) but just thought I'd mention it to the mods that aren't working their butts off :)

Pollyana Jan 11th 2011 4:36 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9092466)
Just what I'm about to do ... just packed all the important documents ... and I found my passport ... bonus :blink:

I know you are busy ;) but just thought I'd mention it to the mods that aren't working their butts off :)

\Don't have the skils to do that, Sue would need to, however I'm going to sticky this thread for now, working tonight and will post updates if I can.

has all the stuff coming out of EMQ

If you get an Emergency Alert automated message/text telling you to leave now, then DO SO.

BEVS Jan 11th 2011 4:46 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9092466)

I'll pass this along to admin Vim.

Pollyana Jan 11th 2011 4:48 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9092479)

Thanks. There are three or four threads in the Aus forum and at least one in the barbie - i've stuck that one.

Guys I will try and throw info in this thread overnight if i can. it will be quick and dirty, no frills, sorry but its better than nothing!!!

http://www.bom.gov.au/hydro/flood/ql...ne_jan1974.pdf

DeadVim Jan 11th 2011 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9092469)
\Don't have the skils to do that, Sue would need to, however I'm going to sticky this thread for now, working tonight and will post updates if I can.

has all the stuff coming out of EMQ

If you get an Emergency Alert automated message/text telling you to leave now, then DO SO.

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9092479)

Ta, I can see breaks in the clouds, maybe even sun, dare we hope?

BEVS Jan 11th 2011 4:52 am

Mate. To be eloquent. I freckin' hope so .