Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

FLASH FLOOD WARNING DOWNSTREAM FROM TOOWOOMBA/ BRISBANE FLOODING

FLASH FLOOD WARNING DOWNSTREAM FROM TOOWOOMBA/ BRISBANE FLOODING

Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FLASH FLOOD WARNING DOWNSTREAM FROM TOOWOOMBA

Not looking good for the next few days for people in flood area's:

Forecasts show about 6500 properties will be flooded in Brisbane, Lord Mayor Campbell Newman says.

He says the next few days will see a large-scale disaster unfolding across the city, ahead of an expected peak in the Brisbane River on Thursday.

Mr Newman said the 6500 homes and businesses expected to experience direct, "significant" flooding would affect 14,900 people.

He said a further 16,500 properties would be partially affected by flooding.

"So the situation is very serious," he told reporters on Tuesday.

He said the latest advice suggested the Brisbane River would peak at the port office gauge, in the CBD, on Thursday at 4.2 metres.

"To put that in context, the 1974 flood was higher but a 4.2-metre reading at the Brisbane gauge is very significant indeed."

He said the figures were "very scary".

"We are in uncharted territory," Mr Newman said.

He said the Wivenhoe dam, built after the 1974 floods to protect Brisbane, was full, and dam managers had no choice but to continue with increased, controlled releases.

"It's going to come down the river to the city of Brisbane and there's not much dam managers can do about that," he said.

An evacuation centre has been set up at the RNA Showgrounds at Bowen Hills and is now open for flood-affected residents.

But Mr Newman said that where possible, people should evacuate to the homes of friends and family, and work out now what to do with their pets, as the showgrounds would not take animals.

"We ask people to not panic, this is serious," he said.

"Where possible, stay at home."

He said people should begin preparing themselves and friends and family now so they're not caught out on Thursday.

Mr Campbell said the situation had deteriorated significantly since Monday, when only a few hundred homes had been expected to flood.

"The situation has obviously demonstrably deteriorated," he said after a meeting of Brisbane's disaster management group.

"Today is very significant, tomorrow is bad, and Thursday is going to be devastating for the residents and businesses concerned."

(Source: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...to-flood-mayor)
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.facebook.com/QueenslandPolice

excellent for updates.

Anyone who floooded in 1974 you are at risk and will probably flood now.

If you evacuate please take important paperwork, medication, bedding - esp if going to an evac centre, they are very short of bedding.

If you can let people know you are evacuating, then please do, and get them to pass the message to other family and friends, takes the pressure off police and red Cross as they are dealing with a lot of people enquiring about relatives.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:12 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FLASH FLOOD WARNING DOWNSTREAM FROM TOOWOOMBA/ BRISBANE FLOODING

Eagle Street Pier underwater.

All roads to Bribie closed

Bruce closed Caboolture

Gympie Rd closed both ways Lawnton
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

anna bligh reporting that brisbane & ipswich will flood at 74 flood levels AND HIGHER
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:16 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
looking at the radar, cleveland and the area south-east of the city seem to be getting off scot-free
The heavier stuff seems to be heading for southside and Gold Coast now while breaking up over the dams. Keep your eye on that creek Vim!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:27 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by fish.01
anna bligh reporting that brisbane & ipswich will flood at 74 flood levels AND HIGHER
Thats correct. EMQ currently looking at higher levels than 1974.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I'm guessing the CBD around Eagle St will be a no go for a couple of days?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone has visited or lived in brisbane or tropical qld and experienced the sort of extreme rain you get in a severe storm for half an hour or so, well this rain is like that but on and off for weeks now.

It brightens up for a few minutes then grey and its off again. We had thunder at 10 pm, 2 am and a house shaking lot that went on from 6am to 8am today. The creek/falls down the side of our property sounds like a train storming down the mountain, luckily it falls from our place another 100 metres or so so shouldnt flood us

We must have had UK's annual rainfall (600 ml i think ?? ) in the last 2/3 days alone. Only sun I have seen in last month was the week in melbourne
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Waiting at work for my back to school delivery, got on to my supplier in Wynnum to find out they'd been evacuated and she's at home but has no idea where my delivery is because the transport department don't have access to their tracking system. Didn't realise Wynnum would be in trouble.
Some parts of Wynnum are quite low. The waterfront area was flooded last month. It was a bit before Christmas if I remember correclty.

Mrs JTL
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:34 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The heavier stuff seems to be heading for southside and Gold Coast now while breaking up over the dams. Keep your eye on that creek Vim!
Just what I'm about to do ... just packed all the important documents ... and I found my passport ... bonus

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats correct. EMQ currently looking at higher levels than 1974.
Maybe a sub-forum would be useful to marshall all this info?

I know you are busy but just thought I'd mention it to the mods that aren't working their butts off
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:36 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Just what I'm about to do ... just packed all the important documents ... and I found my passport ... bonus

I know you are busy but just thought I'd mention it to the mods that aren't working their butts off
\Don't have the skils to do that, Sue would need to, however I'm going to sticky this thread for now, working tonight and will post updates if I can.

has all the stuff coming out of EMQ

If you get an Emergency Alert automated message/text telling you to leave now, then DO SO.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by DeadVim

I'll pass this along to admin Vim.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:48 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BEVS
Thanks. There are three or four threads in the Aus forum and at least one in the barbie - i've stuck that one.

Guys I will try and throw info in this thread overnight if i can. it will be quick and dirty, no frills, sorry but its better than nothing!!!

http://www.bom.gov.au/hydro/flood/ql...ne_jan1974.pdf
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:51 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
\Don't have the skils to do that, Sue would need to, however I'm going to sticky this thread for now, working tonight and will post updates if I can.

has all the stuff coming out of EMQ

If you get an Emergency Alert automated message/text telling you to leave now, then DO SO.
Originally Posted by BEVS
Ta, I can see breaks in the clouds, maybe even sun, dare we hope?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Mate. To be eloquent. I freckin' hope so .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.