Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Fitness First - we salute you!

Fitness First - we salute you!

Old May 18th 2007, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness First - we salute you!

Originally Posted by Pomster
FF took over the gym membership list of the lovely little gym I used to frequent in the city.

When I tried to cancel, they found all sorts of obstacles to prevent me doing so....had to go to the gym in person, at the location I joined. As I had moved jobs and homes since that time, it was not easy. Then ...surprise...the only person who could possibly take the cancellation notice was not around.

I decided to stand close to people being persuaded to sign up and voice my concerns loudly...cancellation was grudgingly given!
Yup, they pull every trick in the book if you try to cancel your membership. They make it as difficult as possible - presumably so you'll give up and just keep on paying.

My 18-year-old son joined our local Fitness First (he was a sucker for the slick sales job). Once he got home and we pointed out that he'd be paying $x a fortnight for ever, he sensibly decided to utilise the cooling-off period and cancel the deal.

It was one of the hardest things we ever had to do. He had to attend at a particular time, when the ONLY person supposedly 'authorised' to handle cancellations was available at the gym. Of course, this person was never there, then when she was found (on about the third visit), the special 'form' that had to be filled in couldn't be found. We suspected that they were trying delaying tactics to get us past the cooling-off period so the membership couldn't be cancelled without a penalty.

Eventually my husband fronted up, got rather rude and nasty and they did the cancellation.

I will never, ever have anything whatever to do with a Fitness First Gym as long as I live.

By the way, the company was started in Bournemouth, UK. They became entrenched very quickly in Australia by taking over existing gym chains.
Old May 19th 2007, 11:34 am
www.perthcrest.com.au

The Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NickyC
Yup, they pull every trick in the book if you try to cancel your membership. They make it as difficult as possible - presumably so you'll give up and just keep on paying.

My 18-year-old son joined our local Fitness First (he was a sucker for the slick sales job). Once he got home and we pointed out that he'd be paying $x a fortnight for ever, he sensibly decided to utilise the cooling-off period and cancel the deal.

It was one of the hardest things we ever had to do. He had to attend at a particular time, when the ONLY person supposedly 'authorised' to handle cancellations was available at the gym. Of course, this person was never there, then when she was found (on about the third visit), the special 'form' that had to be filled in couldn't be found. We suspected that they were trying delaying tactics to get us past the cooling-off period so the membership couldn't be cancelled without a penalty.

Eventually my husband fronted up, got rather rude and nasty and they did the cancellation.

I will never, ever have anything whatever to do with a Fitness First Gym as long as I live.

By the way, the company was started in Bournemouth, UK. They became entrenched very quickly in Australia by taking over existing gym chains.

Ah well, to be fair, I have nothing but huge respect for my old FF gym in Bristol. My membership was due to expire as I moved to Oz, and I wanted monthly membership there (cause I didnt wanna commit, not knowing when I would be leaving), which they dont do, so instead they gave me free membership cards for 3 months till I left! (I went 5 times a week).

I then re-joined at Balga WA, and they are great. Loads cheaper than UK, and (although I havent tried to quit - wouldnt want to - still a few kgs to shift), I love 'em! My friend is a member of a different gym close by and has had similar probs trying to cancel her membership.

ATB

Nicola
Old May 20th 2007, 6:15 am
Lucyb reincarnated

Lucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to beholdLucy is a splendid one to behold

God they SUCK! I will steer well clear after reading this! I dare someone to email this thread to their head office. They sound like a bunch of crooks!
Old May 20th 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

strangely enough there was an article in the Herald Sun today about these dubious practices....direct debits being taken long after an agreement has expired.
The DD person said that 'gyms' (no names mentioned) were the worst offenders and often the agreement with the gym was separate to the agreement with the DD collection as this is usually outsourced. Some gyms were collecting DDs for 2 years after membership was cancelled....
Old May 20th 2007, 12:42 pm
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by busterboy
nice approach.
My turd on the main changing bench is starting to seem a little vulgar!
Lovely...real charming
Old May 21st 2007, 6:37 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brewerboy1
Lovely...real charming
It was a joke...I promise!