First visit

Old Jul 14th 2016, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

yorkshire4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First visit

Hello everyone, we've had the relocation dream for years now and we have finally decided to try a holiday in Australia!
After having a read of stuff and a look on you tube we think perth sounds like our kind of place, we were looking at staying in Scarborough and we were wondering if there are any perth expert expats that could help us out with a few questions?
Let's start with, what are the best things to do on our visit? Bearing in mind we are a couple with a 14yr old girl and an 11yr old boy.
Also would we need to rent a car? The public transport links seem good but are they expensive?
That'll do for now so thanks in advance for any help given, cheers, Paul.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First visit

It is actually beyond my comprehension as to why anyone would think Perth is the place to move to. I don't mean this in a horrid way because over time, I became quite fond of Perth on my visits. But why on gods earth do you think moving to Perth would be a good idea. Unemployment and flies would put me off massively. What are your occupations, what are you hoping to achieve?
Old Jul 14th 2016, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi, I am an electrician and the Mrs is a dental practice manager/ dental nurse, we were under the impression that perth was on the up with a thriving economy, other than that we aren't thinking of a massive big city move, we are open to all suggestions so please share the knowledge, all viewpoints are appreciated 😉
Old Jul 15th 2016, 12:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshire4
Hi, I am an electrician and the Mrs is a dental practice manager/ dental nurse, we were under the impression that perth was on the up with a thriving economy, other than that we aren't thinking of a massive big city move, we are open to all suggestions so please share the knowledge, all viewpoints are appreciated 😉
Perth is on a massive downward slope. The state's deficit /debt is massive. The mining boom has bust and there are many people who are losing jobs all over.

I've lived in Perth for 9 years and worked for the health department for almost all of that time. In the 8 years of working in my hospital I've seen the admin support in my department go from 4 full time down to 2 with no decrease in workload. The good news is that they're looking to outsource a good portion of our work to India, so that will lighten things up a bit.

My partner has 27 years experience in the mines as a heavy duty vehicle mechanic. He's now working for half his usual salary in the city, doing a different job because there just aren't hgv mechanic jobs out there.

As for the rest of your post, I'm on my phone but will reply when I get home.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

How hot can you stand. That would be my no one question after jobs. Don't think 24 and sunny think scorching or humid and often mid 30 to mid 40. That will rule in or out far more places than you might first think. Australias fierce climate winter and summer is a big factor many migrants underestimate.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 5:11 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

We are 90 mins South of Perth and hubby manages an electrical wholesale. In his 24 yrs in business things have not been quiter as loads of Sparkies no longer have jobs in mines and there are more sparkies fighting over same job quotes.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 5:50 am
Just Joined

And this is why we have joined the forum, it would appear that we have been misinformed about the economy, we were under the impression it was on the up, however as this is not the case, and after some discussion we look like we will be heading to Melbourne, we have a friend who's very keen to do a house swap with us as she has family here and it makes good sense for free accommodation. Also I would like to visit toowoomba, it's where my father lived when he was 11 and I like that idea of following his footsteps.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 5:52 am
Just Joined

So thanks for all your imput so far guys! It is greatly appreciated 😀
Old Jul 17th 2016, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend doing a side visit to WA if you really want to see for yourself what Perth 'looks' like. Yes this won't mean you know how jobs/suburbs/transport really is (as opposed to those who are living there have posted above) but might be a good idea if you can manage the time and cost for a holiday/flight there. If you do go, have a look around Perth and then head straight down south where there are beautiful vineyards and a coastal view that is utterly gorgeous. Just a thought....
Old Jul 18th 2016, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Took me 30 years of living in Aus before I got to see Perth. It's just shy of 3,000 K's from here in Melbourne, or 4 days drive. Let that sink in for a bit. Turned out it was much much better than I thought it would be, It does have a great ambience about it, it does have a little bit of comparatively old history, Well Fremantle does (Something which is thin on the ground here in Aus and something you'll miss after a while) I'd try and take a look if I were you.........but It's remote, going backwards, that will change in time as it's always been boom and bust. It is a decent place though with many fantastic aspects.

Whereas Melbourne.......... What can I say. There are many real reasons it keeps featuring as one of the best cities in the world to live. Problem is that fact alone spoils other places for you.... Oh and Melbourne takes quite a while to grow on you, once it does your hooked.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 7:57 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Took me 30 years of living in Aus before I got to see Perth. It's just shy of 3,000 K's from here in Melbourne, or 4 days drive. Let that sink in for a bit. Turned out it was much much better than I thought it would be, It does have a great ambience about it, it does have a little bit of comparatively old history, Well Fremantle does (Something which is thin on the ground here in Aus and something you'll miss after a while) I'd try and take a look if I were you.........but It's remote, going backwards, that will change in time as it's always been boom and bust. It is a decent place though with many fantastic aspects.

Whereas Melbourne.......... What can I say. There are many real reasons it keeps featuring as one of the best cities in the world to live. Problem is that fact alone spoils other places for you.... Oh and Melbourne takes quite a while to grow on you, once it does your hooked.
As a Perthie of 57 years, I'd agree with a lot of that ozzie. I remember trying to hire staff in the last boom - absolutely impossible, all we'd get is 1 or 2 overseas applicants for a well paying government job. Once the boom was over, we were getting 180+ applications from local people, all desperate for a secure job.

I have to make a slight correction on your comment about old history though. Although white settlement is comparatively new, there's over 40,000 years of Aboriginal history, culture and artifacts.

ps I love Melbourne
Old Jul 18th 2016, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne is a great choice with everything you need and there's always something going on. As said above it grows on you. It's a bit of a trek to Toowoomba from here though - you'll need to fly unless you fancy a 17 hour drive Good opportunity to visit Brisbane too x
Old Jul 18th 2016, 10:45 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Melbourne is a great choice with everything you need and there's always something going on. As said above it grows on you. It's a bit of a trek to Toowoomba from here though - you'll need to fly unless you fancy a 17 hour drive Good opportunity to visit Brisbane too x
We've got direct flights between Melbourne and Toowoomba now on Air North.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 5:55 am
Just Joined

Hey there, thanks so much for the replies, turns out I was slightly wrong, we are now going to Brisbane! And after some 8 or 9 years chatting about it we have actually booked the flights so big steps forward there!
So, Brisbane, gold Coast, sunshine coast, what's the best things to see and do whilst we visit?
Thanks 😉
Old Jul 20th 2016, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshire4
Hey there, thanks so much for the replies, turns out I was slightly wrong, we are now going to Brisbane! And after some 8 or 9 years chatting about it we have actually booked the flights so big steps forward there!
So, Brisbane, gold Coast, sunshine coast, what's the best things to see and do whilst we visit?
Thanks 😉
SeaWorld ..... good luck with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.