Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

First visit in 7 years back in the uk at Xmas

First visit in 7 years back in the uk at Xmas

Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute
Default First visit in 7 years back in the uk at Xmas

I have just been back to the uk at Christmas and bloody hell did I not kiss the ground when I arrived back home in Australia

I spent 5 weeks back in Yorkshire after being away for 7 years and bloody nora nothing had changed and things seemed so crap and alot worse since i had left.... I will always thank my lucky stars for the life I have here in Australia
I do miss my family and friends and I am sad that they are still in the same postion as when I left them ..... i feel if it was that bad they would do something about it as we did and we are no different to any of them we had no money really to come out to Australia 7 years ago.

Anyway what do you think is the best time to visit back to the uk after being here in Australia? I think leaving it this long till going back was a blessing we could not wait to get back home after being there a week !!! I know now I am going to make more of an effort here friends wise as thats all that is missing you can never replace my family and why would you want to ? so I am so happy that now after all this time I can safely say this is home Australia I have had some bad times over the past 7 years but do you know what i have changed so much since being away as a person and being here in Australia as made me like this and I am glad
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:27 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First visit in 7 years back in the uk at Xmas

An interesting update. I do have a theory (not shared by many! ) That it probably takes 7 years for your life to really turn round and adapt to new surroundings.

It can take that long, unless you are lucky enough to fall on your feet in EVERY area of life, to completely assimilate.

Happy for you anyway.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
An interesting update. I do have a theory (not shared by many! ) That it probably takes 7 years for your life to really turn round and adapt to new surroundings.

It can take that long, unless you are lucky enough to fall on your feet in EVERY area of life, to completely assimilate.

Happy for you anyway.
Aww thank you for understanding
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny.. Haven't been back yet and as many on here might know I'm fairly desperate to do so.... But your experience sums up my biggest fear of doing it..

I have wonderful memories and don't want them tarnished with the reality of what it's really like... My rose tinted glasses may not cope.. Of people who have stayed as is whilst I have moved on...

Have decided.. July 2014... Come he'll or high water.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we went back on visits and always came away wanting more time there (but happy to be back in Aus).

For various reasons, we ended up spending 2 years in UK (been back 4 months) ...and have to say although the time there was interesting and not as awful as many say, I am happy we are able to chose to live in Aus. Saying that the place does feel crowded!
Also glad we can just visit UK when the mood takes us. Australia- for us- offers far better opportunities for our family
Old Jan 28th 2013, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pomster
we went back on visits and always came away wanting more time there (but happy to be back in Aus).

For various reasons, we ended up spending 2 years in UK (been back 4 months) ...and have to say although the time there was interesting and not as awful as many say, I am happy we are able to chose to live in Aus. Saying that the place does feel crowded!
Also glad we can just visit UK when the mood takes us. Australia- for us- offers far better opportunities for our family
Yes opportunities here is by far more than the uk will ever give us as a family its not horrible its just not for us anymore
Old Jan 28th 2013, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eddie007
It's funny.. Haven't been back yet and as many on here might know I'm fairly desperate to do so.... But your experience sums up my biggest fear of doing it..

I have wonderful memories and don't want them tarnished with the reality of what it's really like... My rose tinted glasses may not cope.. Of people who have stayed as is whilst I have moved on...

Have decided.. July 2014... Come he'll or high water.
Your memories will always be fine nothing will ever tarnish them its just we have moved on
You do need to go back and lay it to rest either way
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:05 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it just shows how different people look at the same thing really, it does seem very dependant on where you are based obviously.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris955
I guess it just shows how different people look at the same thing really, it does seem very dependant on where you are based obviously.
Yes that is very true and being able to have the money to live in certain places in the uk is a bonus I would love to like in York for example but the reality is a no no job wise and being able to afford to live comfortable for me and my family is just so out of reach
Old Jan 29th 2013, 6:10 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LINZI
Yes that is very true and being able to have the money to live in certain places in the uk is a bonus I would love to like in York for example but the reality is a no no job wise and being able to afford to live comfortable for me and my family is just so out of reach
Yes exactly, as with anywhere there are places we wouldnt dream of living but we have been lucky.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:05 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

I hated it the first year here, just didn't feel connected or whatever.

Been here 4.5 years and not been back yet either. We're not in any rush as I'd rather put the money towards the mortgage/house/holidays this end of the world.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:49 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't returned since I arrived many, many years ago. although my wife has. We might be returning this year if we can try and get non-Australian flight prices. Things are different now because we can keep up so easily with British TV and news, etc.

I know the economy has done nothing but nosedive there since I left, and I know from friends and family that this is being reflected in increasing numbers of shops being boarded up and small businesses shutting down. Also when I watch British TV the thing that hits me front and centre is the obsession with class, and frankly I do not miss that at all in Australia.

One day we might well return for a longer period but a lot of conditions will have to be right. For one thing I refuse to commute by road or rail in the UK because the experience was so dreadful for me before, so work will have to be local or home-based. For another I refuse to have neighbours there because our experience of living in close quarters to people in England was pretty unpleasant also so we would need to rent a fairly expensive rural property I would think.

Decisions....decisions....
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:11 pm
Banned

Oh give it a rest FFS, the British are not obsessed with class although you seem to be for whatever reason. For someone who IS obsessed by class you come across as snobby and elitist oddly enough.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:42 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
I haven't returned since I arrived many, many years ago. although my wife has. We might be returning this year if we can try and get non-Australian flight prices. Things are different now because we can keep up so easily with British TV and news, etc.

I know the economy has done nothing but nosedive there since I left, and I know from friends and family that this is being reflected in increasing numbers of shops being boarded up and small businesses shutting down. Also when I watch British TV the thing that hits me front and centre is the obsession with class, and frankly I do not miss that at all in Australia.

One day we might well return for a longer period but a lot of conditions will have to be right. For one thing I refuse to commute by road or rail in the UK because the experience was so dreadful for me before, so work will have to be local or home-based. For another I refuse to have neighbours there because our experience of living in close quarters to people in England was pretty unpleasant also so we would need to rent a fairly expensive rural property I would think.

Decisions....decisions....
You must be a real joy to have a drink with
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
You must be a real joy to have a drink with

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.