Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

First Electricity Bill

First Electricity Bill

Old Oct 29th 2014, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Electricity Bill

Originally Posted by ABCD......
One meter for normal supply and the 2nd for what may be called off peak, but depending on what State you are in, often runs 18 hours per day for the hot water.
Having 2 or 3 meters is normal.

Your Off Peak Usage is weird, way too high, and that may only be the water heater. That may not be working properly.

Check the off peak meter every hour for 2 or 3 hours and see how much it changes. Then, if you can, turn off the water heater, and check again.

That picture of the air con/water tank looks like the same type of water heater I used. Mine seemed to never turn off till I got it fixed.
It would be unusual now to have that system as Melbourne has supposedly changed all of it's meters to smart Meters, and they replace the two with one smart meter.

The Electric hotwater system could well be the culprit Molly.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Interesting you mention the water heater as we've had problems with it and it stopped working completely. We called a plumber out who told us it hadn't been touched (upgraded/checked) since the day it was fitted.
I'll try those checks and see what happens. What do you mean by it never seemed to turn off?

Thanks.
It seemed to be constantly boiling. And the water from the hot tap was way too hot.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It would be unusual now to have that system as Melbourne has supposedly changed all of it's meters to smart Meters, and they replace the two with one smart meter.
If theirs is still the old one...

To encourage the electricity distribution businesses to complete outstanding installations as soon as possible, new regulations announced in mid-November 2013 will require them to continue to install smart meters after the end of 2013. If a distribution business has not attempted to install a smart meter in a Victorian business or home by 30 June 2014, the customer at that premises will be entitled to a rebate ­ provided the customer has not refused the installation of a smart meter.
Smart Meters - About smart meters
Old Oct 30th 2014, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Continuous boiling rather than boiling when the water needs boiling.
Originally Posted by paulry
Yep. Molly, how hot is/was the water from the hot water tap. If it's scalding then that'll probably be your problem. Either the thermostat is broken or it's set so high that even at boiling it never reaches the "now switch off" temperature.

The Electric hotwater system could well be the culprit Molly.
Originally Posted by ABCD......
If theirs is still the old one...

The water is not actually boiling, never has been even before the boiler broke.
It never gets so hot that it scolds, ever.

I'll show you the meters, see what you think.
Attached Thumbnails First Electricity Bill-image.jpg  
Old Oct 30th 2014, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

I know one thing from this whole experience. I won't ever go for a 'traditional' property again. Our next house will be a new build, that's if I haven't gone home by then. Lol!

Moving country is stressful enough without having to cope with a crap rental that has multiple things going wrong with it. Which incidentally costs an absolute bloody fortune because of the area it's in, which is all well and dandy if everything flipping worked!

Right,rant over!
Old Oct 30th 2014, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely smart meters, one looks like it's dedicated off peak, but i got that from the switchboard rather than the meters themselves. Not sure what the meter codes are yet..... 4 and 6. It's looking more and more like it is your hot water that is the problem to me though. Not sure what you do about that, as it's not broken, just using lots of power. Is there a thermostat on the Hot water that you can turn down ?

I didn't realise they replaced a dedicated off peak meter with a seperate smart meter as the Smart meters can measure this themselves... Probably simpler because it was a seperate circuit.

What brand is your water heater can you see anything on it ?

Old Oct 30th 2014, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely smart meters, one looks like it's dedicated off peak, but i got that from the switchboard rather than the meters themselves. Not sure what the meter codes are yet..... 4 and 6. It's looking more and more like it is your hot water that is the problem to me though. Not sure what you do about that, as it's not broken, just using lots of power. Is there a thermostat on the Hot water that you can turn down ?

I didn't realise they replaced a dedicated off peak meter with a seperate smart meter as the Smart meters can measure this themselves... Probably simpler because it was a seperate circuit.

What brand is your water heater can you see anything on it ?

I was advised to turn down my thermostat years ago - it has to be hot enough to stop germs and stuff.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

The water is not actually boiling, never has been even before the boiler broke.
It never gets so hot that it scolds, ever.

Sounds like the tempering valve is set too low
(ie. too much cold water being let through )

Adjusting tempering valve or not - Green tech

Elgas has a good explanation of all the various tempering valves

Tempering Valves | Hot Water Systems | ELGAS - LPG Gas for Home & Business

Last edited by mulben; Oct 30th 2014 at 12:29 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I know one thing from this whole experience. I won't ever go for a 'traditional' property again. Our next house will be a new build, that's if I haven't gone home by then. Lol!

Moving country is stressful enough without having to cope with a crap rental that has multiple things going wrong with it. Which incidentally costs an absolute bloody fortune because of the area it's in, which is all well and dandy if everything flipping worked!

Right,rant over!
Not a good start to your Oz adventure Molly, sorry to hear about the problems with the house
Old Oct 30th 2014, 7:49 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Not a good start to your Oz adventure Molly, sorry to hear about the problems with the house
Same here. Coming all this way and starting over is never easy. In terms of getting the right balance for our needs as tenants, it took us three moves first. Molly, have you tried chatting with the letting agents about it? maybe they can suggest what's wrong or will help you look into it further...
Old Oct 30th 2014, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yep it's a Rheem, I'm going to call my plumber and ask him if he can turn it down, or up, or whatever the case maybe. He's a sound guy, so hopefully he'll be able to help. Cheers Ozzie.

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I was advised to turn down my thermostat years ago - it has to be hot enough to stop germs and stuff.
Originally Posted by mulben
Sounds like the tempering valve is set too low
(ie. too much cold water being let through )

Adjusting tempering valve or not - Green tech

Elgas has a good explanation of all the various tempering valves

Tempering Valves | Hot Water Systems | ELGAS - LPG Gas for Home & Business
Thanks Mullen for taking the time to write that for me, I'll speak to the plumber, hopefully we might be able to sort it.
Originally Posted by paulry
Same here. Coming all this way and starting over is never easy. In terms of getting the right balance for our needs as tenants, it took us three moves first. Molly, have you tried chatting with the letting agents about it? maybe they can suggest what's wrong or will help you look into it further...
I'll just see what the plumber says first, then if we can't sort it I'll do that.
Thanks.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks Spouse

I'm a bit embarrassed about my little rant now. I was just having a crap day.
It's been a bit tough the last few weeks regarding trying to get settled in.
Getting kids in school has proved to be a bit of a mission ( still only got one child in) husbands job has been delayed because of government disagreements,so he's had to go back to London to he's old job for now, the house is falling to bits, Well, that might be a slight exaggeration, but you get my drift! You have to laugh honestly!
Anyway the main thing is my family and I are all well and healthy.
I shouldn't grumble as I'm sure we'll get there in the end. Life just likes to throw these little challenges at us but I 'm sure I'll survive. X
Old Oct 31st 2014, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm wondering if that water heater is also driving your underfloor heating, it looks to be a big one. I doubt if it is, but maybe.

Maybe your plumber can explain those meters to you as well and what exactly the off peak one is measuring, the hotwater and/or the heating. My meter has the number 1 written next to it, so that's got me very intrigued about yours.

You also have 3 phase power written on your meters, I've checked mine and mine doesn't... Now 3 phase generally indicates a power supply of over 50amps to a household and the house has to be wired up differently from the street. 3 phase normally only goes to businesses.... So you have a few questions for your plumber there. If it is 3 phase, then why ?

Basically 3 phase means instead of two loops coming in from the pole on the street you have a heavier supply of 4 loops.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 31st 2014 at 2:16 am.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 2:25 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if that water heater is also driving your underfloor heating, it looks to be a big one. I doubt if it is, but maybe.

Maybe your plumber can explain those meters to you as well and what exactly the off peak one is measuring, the hotwater and/or the heating. My meter has the number 1 written next to it, so that's got me very intrigued about yours.

You also have 3 phase power written on your meters, I've checked mine and mine doesn't... Now 3 phase generally indicates a power supply of over 35Kwh (or is it 50kwh I ask myself) to a household and the house has to be wired up differently from the street. 3 phase normally only goes to businesses.... So you have a few questions for your plumber there. If it is 3 phase, then why ?

Basically 3 phase means instead of two loops coming in from the pole on the street you have a heavier supply of 3 loops.
In SA if the load is greater than 63A then you need more than one phase. If the load is greater than 126A then it has to be 3 Phase. Looking at LHS does look to be 3 phase although middle and right look to be single phases. Heating on the Left?
Old Oct 31st 2014, 2:28 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

How is your usage tracking day by day now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.