Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

FIRES! Is everyone ok?

FIRES! Is everyone ok?

Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FIRES! Is everyone ok?

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Maybe it is just my sense of hopelessness coming out, but why oh why was the area not evacuated? Why does Australia have this policy that people can make their own choices to stay and defend their homes? I feel the entire area should have been evacuated immediately and people told to leave NOW!

I heard one person on the news saying they saw the flames on a hill near their house one and a half hours before it reached their property. I'm sorry, but i find it incredibly hard to understand why you would leave it that late to leave after having that much warning that it was heading your way.
From everything I've heard and read, the fire that took Kinglake was something no one had ever witnessed before. The fire came from nowhere on winds gusting at 100km an hour. One minute they could see flames on an opposite hillside, they went in to get kids etc and the fire was on them before they could get out again. There was no warning.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
From everything I've heard and read, the fire that took Kinglake was something no one had ever witnessed before. The fire came from nowhere on winds gusting at 100km an hour. One minute they could see flames on an opposite hillside, they went in to get kids etc and the fire was on them before they could get out again. There was no warning.
Thats right, everything I've heard so far suggests it was moving so fast no-one could have heeded any warnings to leave.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:36 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I questioned the stay and defend policy on another forum just five minutes ago. I can't understand that it would ever be better for a family to firefight, surely it just adds to the firies' burden? Unless of course as some of you say, the fire comes too quickly for leaving to be an option. In that case, shouldn't every house have a bunker?

I haven't posted on these threads (apart from very briefly on one on Saturday I think) as I really haven't known what to say. My very good friends in Melbourne couldn't contact their friends in Flowervale, and I just didn't know how to comfort them - "oh they'll be ok, don't worry" sounded wrong, as I didn't know they would be. Relieved to say they are, their house too, but neighbours all around them have died.

I can only guess that this is my convoluted emotional connection to the fires, but at times I've had to switch off the TV, not read the news sites, because I just keep crying.

The 9 News special last night was harrowing. Grown men crying, talking about saving their children but losing their father, families with one live dog and one corpse wrapped in a blanket, bewildered children. The reporter chatted to one woman whose house was saved but her family had evacuated and so she was living in a tent with her baby, in donated clothes, and counting herself as one of the "lucky" ones.

I bet a lot of us have Survivor Syndrome. If I thought I could help in any way, I'd be on a plane to Victoria.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's becoming clear that the stay and defend policy was wrong in this situation.

Time for legislation re Fire bunkers.

The grief will turn to real anger soon, when people realise the government probably gave them the wrong advice.
It's part of the recovery process - the schisms will appear and the anger will surface. Victoria has very highly skilled recovery workers so we can but hope that they will be ahead of the game and help the communities through all the stages. This is going to get very nasty for a long time though.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

legolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nice

Too many people lost their lives . It is really a sad time for everyone around.
Why government are not asking for help from foreign countries? I think NZ governments can send some help in a short time. Fire Fighters, Helicopters, equipments....
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:11 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

NZ offered 100 firefighters.

Not judging the ozzies. I'm sure everyone's in shock at the speed at which this happened. It takes time to organise.

Sad.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by legolasWood
Too many people lost their lives . It is really a sad time for everyone around.
Why government are not asking for help from foreign countries? I think NZ governments can send some help in a short time. Fire Fighters, Helicopters, equipments....
Firefighters are already being requested from NZ, as well as from other Aussie States. They have to ensure that its a staggered response though - if everyone goes in at once you are left with no back-up crews.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Firefighters are already being requested from NZ, as well as from other Aussie States. They have to ensure that its a staggered response though - if everyone goes in at once you are left with no back-up crews.

Yep, SA firies are there already along with one of our choppers.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yep, SA firies are there already along with one of our choppers.
my heart goes out to everyone in vic. I have never seen anything like this and i am truly shocked and upset by the scale of it and for all those who have lost their lives and homes. I just cannot imagine what it would be like.

I'm not particularly religious but i will be saying my prayers tonight for everyone tonight.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:29 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Thats right, everything I've heard so far suggests it was moving so fast no-one could have heeded any warnings to leave.

Well,I have just switched the TV on, and they are now officially reviewing the stay and defend policy that I mentioned last night.

I am not disputing that once the fires got to a certain size the huge winds drove them so fast there was no time to get out. I do understand that, but there were warnings about these fires a couple of days beforehand, so obviously they knew they were there.

Someone mentioned bunkers before. I think that is a great idea.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:32 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

My Dad called me last night and said the UK have offered to send firefighters. How true that is I dont know.

What is the update for this morning Polly?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:38 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Well,I have just switched the TV on, and they are now officially reviewing the stay and defend policy that I mentioned last night.

I am not disputing that once the fires got to a certain size the huge winds drove them so fast there was no time to get out. I do understand that, but there were warnings about these fires a couple of days beforehand, so obviously they knew they were there.

Someone mentioned bunkers before. I think that is a great idea.
What broke my heart this morning is reading about three small children that sought refuge in a bathtub but to no avail. It brings a massive lump to my throat. I just can't fathom what they must have felt and the terrible suffering they must have endured.

Is there a God? I really question this a lot these days.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:52 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
What broke my heart this morning is reading about three small children that sought refuge in a bathtub but to no avail. It brings a massive lump to my throat. I just can't fathom what they must have felt and the terrible suffering they must have endured.

Is there a God? I really question this a lot these days.
I've had to turn it off, selfish I know but I've shed a few tears already and can't bear to watch it any longer
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
My Dad called me last night and said the UK have offered to send firefighters. How true that is I dont know.

What is the update for this morning Polly?
I'm not sure Polly would know. She's in England right now visiting and she works for Qld state emergency services, not Vic.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

There are bushfires every year, but this has to be one of the worst I've ever seen. 170 confirmed dead so far, but they believe the total will be over 230 by the time they locate missing people. Some very sad stories on the TV and it does sound like a lot of people didn't think it was heading their way. One guy even went to help a friend evacuate and came home to find his house and family gone. Very sad. One guy saw a spark fall near his house, went to put it out and when he turned around all the houses and paddocks around him were on fire, but his house was spared. I wonder if you would want to live there still in what looks like a burnt out war zone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.