British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   FIRES! Is everyone ok? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/fires-everyone-ok-589877/)

Geelong Gent Feb 10th 2009 3:21 am

Re: FIRES! Is everyone ok?

Originally Posted by asprilla (Post 7269284)
I think it is definitely an option that would work. However, the costs would be huge. How would the infrastructure be implemented and who would pay for it? It is very unlikely that the residents themselves would be able to afford it, let alone want to pay for it. I don't think that the government or council would want to pay for it either.

Why do you assume the costs would be huge? Is it not just a case of digging large hole, surrounding with reinforced concrete blocks, tanking and backfilling?
Then perhaps a suitable roof?

Now the houses are going to be rebuild would assume a good reasoning too build in fire proof materials?

All the pictures tend too show the chimneys still standing - does this tell us anything?

See now they are expecting the numbers too exceed 300. Heart goes out to those checking for bodies:(

MartinLuther Feb 10th 2009 3:33 am

There are effectively town bunkers at the moment. In Kinglake you could have gone to the CFA shed or the Police station. The problem is still whether you can still get there without getting caught in the car. If you live 10 mins outside of the town centre then you could be in trouble.

Personally, if I lived up there I would have a bunker (doubling as a store room). I reckon you could build one for a $1k or less if you did the work yourself. Dig a hole. Line it with tin roofing material. Some strong beams for the roof. More tin and cover with a couple of inches of soil. I don't think oxygen is a problem. Fire suffocation is usually caused by smoke or CO rather than lack of oxygen. CO shouldn't be a problem as it's in the open. The fire should be drawing in air at ground level so you should have enough oxygen. I'd try and have the door facing East as that's the most unlikely direction for the fire to come from.

The problem I can see with legislation is to whom it should apply. Many of Mellie's outer suburbs have a lot of bush but the inner suburbs don't. Where do you draw the line?

When we came to Mellie we were originally thinking of living in the Dandenongs but after a couple of days we decided (amongst other reasons) that the fire risk was too high.

I reckon the government should do more education on this rather than legislation. I think that most Victorians have been woefully unaware of the dangers of bushfires.

asprilla Feb 10th 2009 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 7269351)
Why do you assume the costs would be huge? Is it not just a case of digging large hole, surrounding with reinforced concrete blocks, tanking and backfilling?
Then perhaps a suitable roof?

Marysville had around 500 residents. The costs to plan and construct a sufficient number of underground bunkers to accommodate the populations of bushfire affected zones would run into many, many millions of $$$.

Perhaps it is as simple as you suggest though, and we might see the construction of these kind of shelters in years to come.

jad n rich Feb 10th 2009 3:59 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 7269368)
There are effectively town bunkers at the moment. In Kinglake you could have gone to the CFA shed or the Police station. The problem is still whether you can still get there without getting caught in the car. If you live 10 mins outside of the town centre then you could be in trouble.

Personally, if I lived up there I would have a bunker (doubling as a store room). I reckon you could build one for a $1k or less if you did the work yourself. Dig a hole. Line it with tin roofing material. Some strong beams for the roof. More tin and cover with a couple of inches of soil. I don't think oxygen is a problem. Fire suffocation is usually caused by smoke or CO rather than lack of oxygen. CO shouldn't be a problem as it's in the open. The fire should be drawing in air at ground level so you should have enough oxygen. I'd try and have the door facing East as that's the most unlikely direction for the fire to come from.

The problem I can see with legislation is to whom it should apply. Many of Mellie's outer suburbs have a lot of bush but the inner suburbs don't. Where do you draw the line?

When we came to Mellie we were originally thinking of living in the Dandenongs but after a couple of days we decided (amongst other reasons) that the fire risk was too high.

I reckon the government should do more education on this rather than legislation. I think that most Victorians have been woefully unaware of the dangers of bushfires.

When I first arrived in Victoria I too wanted to live in the bushland, my partner who grew up in Melbourne would not even consider it - they had lived in melbourne in the 1983 fires, no way would not even look at land. There was no negotiation.

However at that time (fresh off plane from UK ) I would have bought in those areas. Not now, were down there at christmas, my first comment on Healsville was OMG wouldnt stay here in a heatwave, luckily it was 12C that night.

Weve now had several houses surrounded by bushland in qld, but its wet in summer, we dont get such high temps and basically the ground is not dry and brown and a tinder box, its totally opposite. However I would never stay and defend, like some of the recent areas we have one way out!! any risk and sorry the house would be the last of my priorities.

As for bunkers in bush fire areas, I know there are some, one school we saw had a fire proof room, I found it chilling. But building regulations can be changed to include anything, they change to things people dont want to pay for all the time, Its pretty amazing they were not changed to include fire proof bunkers years ago, about 1983 would have been appropriate.

jad n rich Feb 10th 2009 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave (Post 7269287)
I don't think I have ever felt so affected by a tragedy. I sat and watched the news yesterday and today and I've wept watching the reports.

Such awful, horrific stories: a man named Sam pleading for news of his wife and 3 children, desperate to be allowed back up the mountain so he could try to find them. A father who had moved his children to where he thought was safe only to hear that they had been killed in the fires. Children orphaned because their parents had remained behind to fight the fire. Two young women cut off by fire and killed as they tried to save their horses. Fire-fighters finding the remains of 4 small children with the charred body of one of their parents still curled around them trying to protect them. A burnt-out car parked outside a house with the family dog curled up on the back seat, the owners died inside their home with their disabled son. The stories go on and on, and are just heart-breaking. Just ordinary people, who had been living their lives like you and I. They didn't have a chance with this fire. When I think about how people have suffered, I weep for them. And there but for the grace of God go I.

Does anyone know if the man called Sam found his family, I saw that and he was so composed, he looked like he still had so much hope, but it was obvious the friend with him, wasnt so hopeful:( That was on that morning show, did they update it? Talk about sad you were just willing him to get some good news.

Wendy Feb 10th 2009 4:18 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 7269453)
Does anyone know if the man called Sam found his family, I saw that and he was so composed, he looked like he still had so much hope, but it was obvious the friend with him, wasnt so hopeful:( That was on that morning show, did they update it? Talk about sad you were just willing him to get some good news.

Last I heard was that neighbours had seen her and the kids go back to the house. The house didn't survive, and although not confirmed they believe his family are dead.

I hope someone else has had some news since and I am wrong though. :(

Geelong Gent Feb 10th 2009 4:21 am

Originally Posted by asprilla (Post 7269409)
Marysville had around 500 residents. The costs to plan and construct a sufficient number of underground bunkers to accommodate the populations of bushfire affected zones would run into many, many millions of $$$.

Perhaps it is as simple as you suggest though, and we might see the construction of these kind of shelters in years to come.

My daughters school has a bunker in their campsite and can house about 300 of which the cost was less than $400k

We are about to start on a basement (so similar costings) for less than $100k and it will be 175sqm at a depth of 3 metres.

I think therefore that it should be cost effective (perhaps a FHBG like grant for home owners in the bush?)

jad n rich Feb 10th 2009 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 7269457)
Last I heard was that neighbours had seen her and the kids go back to the house. The house didn't survive, and although not confirmed they believe his family are dead.

Oh no:(

Wendy Feb 10th 2009 4:23 am

News about funding from the Government:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/...aster-victims/

jad n rich Feb 10th 2009 4:28 am

On the bunker subject, In qld many estates/councils now require water tanks as part of the building code. Often people dont like the look of them, so huge tanks are dug in, under the house, quite common.

Its not that costly if done at excavation, ( well unless you have a load of rock, etc ) if that can be included in the building code, they could easily enforce bunkers. I guess the problem was ( up till now:( ) people just didnt believe how fast/huge/dangerous/unpredictable bush fires are.

Wendy Feb 10th 2009 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 7269457)

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 7269465)

Just been looking and found the following clip. They have found up to 9 bodies in the house as they had sprinklers installed and it was considered one of the safest houses in the area. :(

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...7lifestyle&ch=

Geelong Gent Feb 10th 2009 4:34 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 7269465)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=10555940

Kiwis from Whakatane:(

jad n rich Feb 10th 2009 4:46 am

Watched the Sam update, thanks :( poor man, so many tragedies, but he just stuck in my mind as he seemed so hopeful they were still up there alive.

Wendy Feb 10th 2009 4:51 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 7269528)
Watched the Sam update, thanks :( poor man, so many tragedies, but he just stuck in my mind as he seemed so hopeful they were still up there alive.

I know, poor guy. There's just nothing you can say is there, words just don't seem to cut it.

dalhousie Feb 10th 2009 6:16 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 7269368)

Thee velocity of these fires was staggering, and has brought back vividly, the horror of the Ash Wednesday fires. And watching the poor victims on television has been heart wrenching, and quite terrifying.

The CFA has for a number of years made fire fighting experts available in our community to give talks and advice on how to survive a bushfire. Preparing the property, what to do before and when the fire front approaches, and what to do after the front passes and this advice has been invaluable. The CFA offers a crucial amount of advice, information and assistance to people living in high risk areas, but this is not always taken up by the public. We have attended many pre-fire season information sessions and in all cases less that ten people have turned up to the meetings and this is in a town of 900 permanent residents, with a very large weekend population, and where the Ash Wednesday fires went raging through in ’83.

If there is a fire in our area, we will stay; it would be suicidal to try and travel into a town 20 minutes drive away through a heavily forested area. We consider we have made a good effort to protect our lives and property to the best of our ability, We know we cannot expect any immediate assistance from the CFA, as they will have their hands filled protecting the township. However we feel safer on our property – with the measures we have taken – than we would in the township and would definitely resist being forced to leave

Our fire bunker cost us around $2000. It was dug into clay and it’s unlined. After 18 months the walls are still damp. We worked with an experienced “bunker” builder and the costs were as follows:

Bunker Builders wages (one week) $1400.00
Cost of digging the hole by a backhoe operator approximately $500.00.
Scoria for the spoon drain around the perimeter of the roof cost $20.00.
We cut down a large tree from the property for the roof beams.
We already had roofing iron spare on the site and we used the soil from the excavation for the final roof covering. We used an ordinary heavy duty door covered with corrugated iron as an entrance door. As the door was underground it did not need to be fireproof. My husband worked for a week with the bunker builder and probably another week or so after that putting in the door and the steps (cut into the clay) down to the bunker entrance. The bunker is 3.5m x 4m and 2.6m deep. The roof is about a metre below the level of the driveway so actually the bunker is 3.6m into the ground.

There is plenty of air in this bunker for a few hours, you only need to be in a bunker for 15 or so minutes, under “normal circumstances” (if you could call a bushfire normal) But with a fire the ferocity of this recent one it may be longer. One thing you have to be aware of in a bunker of this type is, when it‘s not in use always leave the door open. This allows the air to circulate. Iron is used as part of the construction and it can rust and of course the rust will use up the oxygen in the enclosed space.

I don’t really know what the price would be if you had it professionally built, but ours is fine. It’s deep and cool and I feel safe with it.

dalhousie

emelems Feb 10th 2009 7:31 am

Is there a list or anything compiled or due to be compiled so people can check if someone is missing?

Em x

moneypenny20 Feb 10th 2009 7:35 am

Last I heard there was just a phone number to ring to find people but you have to hang on for ages obviously.

Geelong Gent Feb 10th 2009 7:57 am

Originally Posted by dalhousie (Post 7269731)
There is plenty of air in this bunker for a few hours, you only need to be in a bunker for 15 or so minutes, under “normal circumstances” (if you could call a bushfire normal) But with a fire the ferocity of this recent one it may be longer.dalhousie

Thanks for that very interesting on your bunker build.

Any idea what time frame maximum one could use? ie too account for the house above and besides to be burnt to the ground?

Was wondering if a sprinkler system mounted through the centre of the house to keep the roof and subsequent external walls would be effective? Hence question of time to see how much water flow would be required?

Wendy Feb 10th 2009 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 7269967)

Any idea what time frame maximum one could use? ie too account for the house above and besides to be burnt to the ground?

Was wondering if a sprinkler system mounted through the centre of the house to keep the roof and subsequent external walls would be effective? Hence question of time to see how much water flow would be required?

Didn't work for poor Sam's family and friends (see video above where you posted the news article to same story of the NZ woman who died). They all went to her house because they had sprinklers, but they all perished - up to 9 people were in there. :(

Geelong Gent Feb 10th 2009 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 7269987)
Didn't work for poor Sam's family and friends (see video above where you posted the news article to same story of the NZ woman who died). They all went to her house because they had sprinklers, but they all perished - up to 9 people were in there. :(

Perhaps more than sprinklers were needed?

Wendy Feb 10th 2009 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 7270053)
Perhaps more than sprinklers were needed?

Dunno, after seeing the scenes on TV I doubt anything would have prevented those houses in it's path from burning down. I think the bunker idea is the only way to go from here, some amazing stories of people who had them that have survived to tell the tale.

asprilla Feb 10th 2009 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 7269462)
I think therefore that it should be cost effective (perhaps a FHBG like grant for home owners in the bush?)

Would have to agree, I jumped to the conclusion that it might be too costly....when in reality, it can be pretty cheap to implement. Surely this bunker idea needs to be seriously considered by govt.

Geelong Gent Feb 10th 2009 9:03 am

Originally Posted by asprilla (Post 7270125)
Would have to agree, perhaps I have wrongly assumed that the idea would be too costly...when in reality, it is pretty cheap. Surely this is an option that should be seriously considered....maybe 1 bunker per 100 people.

There would be people who would argue against this plan though (I'm not one of them). They would say that the real problem is that people are living too deeply amongst the trees, and that either (a) perhaps they shouldn't be living there, or (b) perhaps trees should be completely cleared from populated areas in bushfire danger zones.

Then there would be people who would complain about having a bunker built near them, and people misusing the bunker, etc etc. All very minor things though really, when you consider what has happened.

Agree with your sentiment

Costs are funny things - you need to have a starting point and then work upwards or downwards as you acquire information.

As for living in the trees? I would prefer that than living on the plains:sneaky:

But ultimately people should have a choice - I would still risk it, but I think I would attend those pre fire season meetings and have more of a chat with the CFA guys.

Anybody know if there have been any major bush fires up Main Ridge/Red Hill ways?

dalhousie Feb 10th 2009 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 7269967)

We were discussing this this afternoon with Larry the "bunker builder" he had family who were caught up in the Kinglake fires and the problem there was the unusual long burn after the fire front had passed. Larry reckoned with the extreme conditions of this fire we would probably have to spend about eight hours in the bunker to ensure that the after burn had eased- mainly the trees and stumps etc. But of course we would be able to open the door
after an hour or so to let in some air. Also our bunker is about 20 meters from the house. Mainly because the house is on a concrete slab but also I don't think it would be safe in case the house collapsed and we could not get out of the cellar. If a tree fell across the stair well of the present bunker we can at least cut our way out. There were just so many things to think about and I'm glad we had Larry to help us.

Larry's brother returned 12 hours after the Kinglake fire and his house was still standing, but a smoldering spot under the verandah was beginning to catch, fortunately he was able to put it out. Lucky or what!!

We also have sprinklers and a dedicated water system that hopefully would spray water for four to five hours, but there are so many things that can happen to a sprinkler system, eg branches falling on a feedline and if the system is not set up properly then a break in the line can cause the whole system to collapse. Not setting up the water return properly can causie the jets to clog and stop working. I've been told that fire is lazy and will run around a wet or damp patch and that is why it is so important to wet everything down thouroughly before the fire front arrives.

But I have to remember that this particular fire was the worst that has ever happened. Most bush fires seem to be able to be handled by fire hoses and a good sprinkler system and a good supply of water. But I feel much safer having the bunker. Besides it keeps the wine cool.

dalhousie

Rossi Feb 10th 2009 9:26 am

Wonderful theories but remember fire has a triangle - Ignition source / Fuel /Oxygen and in a sustained fire you'd suffocate in a bunker.
I was listening to a lady today who had lost her mum & dad at Yea / Whittlesea Road ......... they had a Dam full of water, sprinkler sytems and fire fighting pumps complete with back up generator( because don't forget power lines often fail before the fire gets to the property). Their house was in a "cleared" section of the forest of 40 acres........sadly both perished.
You are talking about EXTREME fire fronts here - 70Mtr + height and 50 K's long travelling in excess of 100kmh hot enough to melt metal.......
Forget staying to fight it.............get out & stay out

emelems Feb 10th 2009 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Rossi (Post 7270198)
Wonderful theories but remember fire has a triangle - Ignition source / Fuel /Oxygen and in a sustained fire you'd suffocate in a bunker.
I was listening to a lady today who had lost her mum & dad at Yea / Whittlesea Road ......... they had a Dam full of water, sprinkler sytems and fire fighting pumps complete with back up generator( because don't forget power lines often fail before the fire gets to the property). Their house was in a "cleared" section of the forest of 40 acres........sadly both perished.
You are talking about EXTREME fire fronts here - 70Mtr + height and 50 K's long travelling in excess of 100kmh hot enough to melt metal.......
Forget staying to fight it.............get out & stay out

Very good points...

Em x

RedT Feb 10th 2009 12:27 pm

well I can't add anything other that to echo what everyone else has said here. My bother texted me on Sunday and thankfully he and his are all good. He's in Sydney but has many friends in Melbourne and surrounds. I tear up every time it comes on the news, it's beyond comprehension what some of these people have been through. It seems trite to just donate some money but I guess it's all we in the UK can do for now.

Tx

Pollyana Feb 10th 2009 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by emelems (Post 7269895)
Is there a list or anything compiled or due to be compiled so people can check if someone is missing?

Em x

Lists available through this website.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/victoria/

I think it was PP who asked if I had any updates - I'm in the UK at the moment, through I'm watching both our Qld floods, and the horrific situation in Victoria as and when I can.
I have a horrible feeling of helplessness at the moment - being an emergency services worked, but knowing I'm so far away I can't do anything to help -bit like a form a survivor guilt I suppose. Qld refused to let me cancel my leave because of the on-going flood response, but now I feel more helpless than ever.

Generali Feb 10th 2009 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 7267991)
It's becoming clear that the stay and defend policy was wrong in this situation.

Time for legislation re Fire bunkers.

The grief will turn to real anger soon, when people realise the government probably gave them the wrong advice.

Do people live in places like Kinglake to take Government advice? I thought people that live in the country do so because they are independant of spirit in many cases.

RedT Feb 10th 2009 1:14 pm

Listening to folk on Aussie radio it seems that advice taken or not was often irrelevant, the fires were upon people in 10 minutes so they just didn't have time to get away. Plus people trying to get away were trapped by fires changing direction and were caught up in road accidents as visibility was so poor. Its easy for us to sit here and say what we'd do but we don't know what it's really like.

quoll Feb 10th 2009 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 7270746)
Lists available through this website.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/victoria/

I think it was PP who asked if I had any updates - I'm in the UK at the moment, through I'm watching both our Qld floods, and the horrific situation in Victoria as and when I can.
I have a horrible feeling of helplessness at the moment - being an emergency services worked, but knowing I'm so far away I can't do anything to help -bit like a form a survivor guilt I suppose. Qld refused to let me cancel my leave because of the on-going flood response, but now I feel more helpless than ever.

Aw Polly, I know how you feel to some extent. I hope this doesnt upset your holiday though! It's a tough summer - maybe if you want to be helpful you could give a volunteer hand to help cope with the wild weather you are having there at the moment (or not, of course, when there is a load of other stuff you could be having fun with!).

DownUnderPaddy Feb 10th 2009 7:45 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by joho (Post 7262286)
I was sent a really cute email about a koala who in all the heat stumbled onto a veranda to escape from some of it. The owners put a bowl of water down for it and it drank then climed in, really cute but I cant paste it to big. Might be worth people all over the place wherever you are in the hot weather to put a bowl or 2 of water at the bottom of your garden etc just in case they need it.

Jo

Another one to cheer us up...

David Tree from Mirboo North CFA providing water to a wild koala after bushfires tore through Mirboo North.
Photographer : Russell Vickery

Nicky & Dave Feb 10th 2009 8:51 pm

Just been watching the morning news and a CFA spokesman was saying that thankfully the cooler weather conditions today mean that they are confident of getting the upper hand on some of the fires still going.

Reports now suggest the death toll could rise to over 300. Fire authorities said that the death toll in Marysville alone could be over 100 out of the 519 people living there.

Even more shocking this morning is the reports of looting taking place. Shame we don't have a shoot to kill policy on looters. Absolute scum.

fraser Feb 10th 2009 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave (Post 7272273)
Even more shocking this morning is the reports of looting taking place. Shame we don't have a shoot to kill policy on looters. Absolute scum.

Scum yes! Shoot to kill though, you have to be joking right?

russmcp Feb 10th 2009 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy (Post 7272059)
Another one to cheer us up...

David Tree from Mirboo North CFA providing water to a wild koala after bushfires tore through Mirboo North.
Photographer : Russell Vickery

Amazing how a photo can give a little bit of hope......

Evelin Feb 10th 2009 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by dalhousie (Post 7269731)
Thee velocity of these fires was staggering, and has brought back vividly, the horror of the Ash Wednesday fires. And watching the poor victims on television has been heart wrenching, and quite terrifying.

The CFA has for a number of years made fire fighting experts available in our community to give talks and advice on how to survive a bushfire. Preparing the property, what to do before and when the fire front approaches, and what to do after the front passes and this advice has been invaluable. The CFA offers a crucial amount of advice, information and assistance to people living in high risk areas, but this is not always taken up by the public. We have attended many pre-fire season information sessions and in all cases less that ten people have turned up to the meetings and this is in a town of 900 permanent residents, with a very large weekend population, and where the Ash Wednesday fires went raging through in ’83.

If there is a fire in our area, we will stay; it would be suicidal to try and travel into a town 20 minutes drive away through a heavily forested area. We consider we have made a good effort to protect our lives and property to the best of our ability, We know we cannot expect any immediate assistance from the CFA, as they will have their hands filled protecting the township. However we feel safer on our property – with the measures we have taken – than we would in the township and would definitely resist being forced to leave

Our fire bunker cost us around $2000. It was dug into clay and it’s unlined. After 18 months the walls are still damp. We worked with an experienced “bunker” builder and the costs were as follows:

Bunker Builders wages (one week) $1400.00
Cost of digging the hole by a backhoe operator approximately $500.00.
Scoria for the spoon drain around the perimeter of the roof cost $20.00.
We cut down a large tree from the property for the roof beams.
We already had roofing iron spare on the site and we used the soil from the excavation for the final roof covering. We used an ordinary heavy duty door covered with corrugated iron as an entrance door. As the door was underground it did not need to be fireproof. My husband worked for a week with the bunker builder and probably another week or so after that putting in the door and the steps (cut into the clay) down to the bunker entrance. The bunker is 3.5m x 4m and 2.6m deep. The roof is about a metre below the level of the driveway so actually the bunker is 3.6m into the ground.

There is plenty of air in this bunker for a few hours, you only need to be in a bunker for 15 or so minutes, under “normal circumstances” (if you could call a bushfire normal) But with a fire the ferocity of this recent one it may be longer. One thing you have to be aware of in a bunker of this type is, when it‘s not in use always leave the door open. This allows the air to circulate. Iron is used as part of the construction and it can rust and of course the rust will use up the oxygen in the enclosed space.

I don’t really know what the price would be if you had it professionally built, but ours is fine. It’s deep and cool and I feel safe with it.

dalhousie

Would any of these devices http://www.campist.com/archives/the-...an-design.html have helped, eg fireproof tent, fireblankets etc if used in the house behind a brick wall?

emelems Feb 10th 2009 10:32 pm

Am pleased to say that I got in contact with both the families that I know in Melbourne and they are all safe.. relief, then guilt for the others who didnt survive..

I wasnt sure where they lived as we met them whilst we were travelling but we are in touch via MSN and emailing... my daughter video calls her friend via MSN most days, so it was horrible when suddenly we realised we didnt have a clue whereabouts in Melbourne they were.. but they are safe... again.. you feel guilty ... such a strange feeling...

Couldnt read much of the paper yesterday, kept bursting into tears.. then the horrendous irony of the flooding in Queensland and their struggles...

:ohmy:

Em x

dalhousie Feb 10th 2009 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Evelin (Post 7272455)
Would any of these devices http://www.campist.com/archives/the-...an-design.html have helped, eg fireproof tent, fireblankets etc if used in the house behind a brick wall?

My immediate reaction to this would be no not in a bushfire of this intensity, but then I'm not a fire expert, and in lesser circumstances this device would certainly be better than nothing. My information comes from CFA advisers and is about our property alone, which has been set up to deal with our situation and location. We have a very large underground bunker that will certainly protect us in a bush fire. We have tried to protect the house with sprinkler systems. We are sure we have covered problems that could arise regarding trees falling over entrance, and on top of the bunker etc , but fate is fate who is 100% sure of anything.

I suggest you get in touch with your local CFA (or equivalent in your State) and do as we did, get their booklets, attended their safety meetings, and if you are still unsure get an expert out to your property- even if it is a house on a 1/4 acre block - to advise you personally on what is best for your situation.

This particular fire, as I have stated before, is the worst we have ever had, it's far beyond my comprehension, even though my husband went through the Ash Wednesday fires. Not every bush fire is or will be of this intensity but you must always be prepared that the next one, might be even worse.

dalhousie

Kim67 Feb 11th 2009 1:11 am

Anyone know where I can download an official Victorian Bushfire Appeal label for a collection tin? I've checked the Red Cross website and can't see one. We want to have a tin on our Australian stall on international day at school here in Dubai next month. Thanks.

Nicky & Dave Feb 11th 2009 1:41 am

Originally Posted by fraser (Post 7272389)
Scum yes! Shoot to kill though, you have to be joking right?

Yes, sorry you're right, that's a bit harsh. Perhaps rather just chop their hand off like they do in some arab countries. ;)