Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

FIRES! Is everyone ok?

FIRES! Is everyone ok?

Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:06 am
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice
Default Re: FIRES! Is everyone ok?

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
This has been awful..................we are having mass collections at work of money, household goods and good quality clothing, whilst the bank i work for has also donated a million dollars.....................I got really upset about the animals, being a real animal lover...........just wish I can come over and help
You may not be able to actually go over there but you can still help the animals by donating at one of these

http://www.rspcavic.org/campaigns_ne..._bushfires.htm

http://www.snootypaws.com.au/blog/in...-the-bushfire/

http://www.ourcommunity.com.au/givin...?appealId=1115

http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/cms/index.php
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rhia27

Thanks...will do that now!!!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the animal charity details have just donated.

Plants
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Andromada has a spectacular aura aboutAndromada has a spectacular aura aboutAndromada has a spectacular aura about

I am feeling so sad regarding the fires and the loss of life and the longterm effects for these communities.
But what I find so odd on expats is that people are still talking of emigrating and where they are with there application and worrying about spiders etc. I suppose life still goes on for people that are not directly effected by the fires.
Andi
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andromada
I am feeling so sad regarding the fires and the loss of life and the longterm effects for these communities.
But what I find so odd on expats is that people are still talking of emigrating and where they are with there application and worrying about spiders etc. I suppose life still goes on for people that are not directly effected by the fires.
Andi
One can feel sympathy and empathy for people in trouble whilst going on with one's normal life. It just puts a few things in a new light.....
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:56 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

i DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ ALL OF THIS THREAD, BUT A COUPLE OF POINTS...

Opps sorry to shout!

A LOT of people had no time to get out. This wasn't a normal fire. When our neigbour hammered our door we were inside with the curtains shut and the aircon on full bore...it was 46 degrees! No sign of anything when I came home less than an hour before. The fire was literally at the end of the rd but luckily it was largely scrub so we COULD escape. At that point there were no attending and IMHO no one in their right mind would stay and defend. But plenty did! How can you fight a fire thats out of control with a garden hose? The thing I remember most was the wind and the terrible noise it was making. My lips are still peeling now and I was only outside for 5 mins getting kids, dogs etc into the car.

We weren't even in a very big fire (180 hectares, mainly scrub) BUT it was terrifying and the wind..I'll never forget the noise,,,

We were very very lucky, if Elvis hadn't have shown up and the wind change direction when it did I think it could have been very different. My washing in the line was scorched and had ember burns in it! (its attached to the side of my weather board extension)

As for cellar...my cousins X Husband and the father of her 2 children(in Healsvilles saturdays fires) had one and went down there for a few hours till the noise stopped. Came out to NOTHING No car, house or possetions. However, he still says he still has everything...his kids lives...He was also insured.

Stay safe everyone. My heart goes out to all of those in Marysville, Kinglake, Flowerdale, Yea etc etc etc....deepest sympathies to all concerned. xx

Last edited by hevs; Feb 12th 2009 at 10:09 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:02 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Perhaps more than sprinklers were needed?
Our neighbour had them and they proved useless, the wind was just taking the water away faster than it was coming out.

Also if you don't have a genorater up AND working you're screwed when the power goes out.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:07 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs

Opps sorry to shout!

A LOT of people had no time to get out. This wasn't a normal fire. When our neigbour hammered our door we were inside with the curtains shut and the aircon on full bore...it was 46 degrees! No sign of anything when I came home less than an hour before. The fire was literally at the end of the rd but luckily it was largely scrub so we COULD escape. At that point there were no attending and IMHO no one in their right mind would stay and defend. But plenty did! How can you fight a fire thats out of control with a garden hose? The thing I remember most was the wind and the terrible noise it was making. My lips are still peeling now and I was only outside for 5 mins getting kids, dogs etc into the car.

We weren't even in a very big fire (180 hectares, mainly scrub) BUT it was terrifying and the wind..I'll never forget the noise,,,

We were very very lucky, if Elvis hadn't have shown up and the wind change direction when it did I think it could have been very different. My washing in the line was scorched and had ember burns in it! (its attached to the side of my weather board extension)

As for cellar...my cousins X (in Healsvilles saturdays fires) had one and went down there for a few hours till the noise stopped. Came out to NOTHING No car, house or possetions. However, he still says he still has everything...his kids lives...He was also insured.

Stay safe everyone. My heart goes out to all of those in Marysville, Kinglake, Flowerdale, Yea etc etc etc....deepest sympathies to all concerned. xx
I'm so glad you're safe, Hevs. I've been thinking of you and wondering how you all were.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:22 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Stinks of smoke here today where we are, an otherwise perfect blue sky is tinged with brown and I can taste the smoke in the house.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:24 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Stinks of smoke here today where we are, an otherwise perfect blue sky is tinged with brown and I can taste the smoke in the house.
How close are you to the fires then?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:25 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear from you, hevs.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Opps sorry to shout!

As for cellar...my cousins X Husband and the father of her 2 children(in Healsvilles saturdays fires) had one and went down there for a few hours till the noise stopped. Came out to NOTHING No car, house or possetions. However, he still says he still has everything...his kids lives...He was also insured.

I just can't imagine the terror Hevs, I'm so relieved you are all OK.
What those other poor people have gone through, and in many cases are still facing, is just beyond comprehension really.
From what I've heard and read none of the conventional methods of firefighting would've helped people - sprinklers, hoses etc aren't designed for a firestorm like that, are they. Please God the weather calms enough to let the firefighters make headway soon.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:30 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
How close are you to the fires then?
A long way, I'd say80- 100k from the nearest. The wife works in the CBD on the 42nd floor and she says the whole of Melbourne is covered in a smoky haze today.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:34 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
A long way, I'd say80- 100k from the nearest. The wife works in the CBD on the 42nd floor and she says the whole of Melbourne is covered in a smoky haze today.
Glad your safe.

I'm curious about one particular picture that has been shown in the media.

It shows the Melbourne skyline in the distance (about 5kms at most) and in the foreground there is a completely burnt tree-line on a hill and the article claims that the burn trees are situated in Kinglake West. I thought Kinglake West was much further than 5Km from the CBD?

Would this picture be an accurate picture? Did the fires come this close to the CBD?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:38 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Opps sorry to shout!

That's a really sobering story. There's no way that you could defend a house against that sort of inferno with the wind behind it unless you had industrial-type drenching systems and buried metal pipework. TG you're still with us!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.