British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Financial Help please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/financial-help-please-495389/)

Nic938 Nov 21st 2007 12:16 pm

Financial Help please!

Hi everyone

Is their anyone financial out there that can help me please?

Have registered with Hifx to transfer our money and we are considering the option where you set the rate and when it hits that they exchange for us. Can anyone tell me what is a realistic rate to set it at? At the moment they are quoting 2.32 is this likely to go any higher?

Thanks in advance

Nic

Grayling Nov 21st 2007 1:17 pm

Re: Financial Help please!

Originally Posted by Nic938 (Post 5582762)
At the moment they are quoting 2.32 is this likely to go any higher?

Anyone who could predict exchange rates would be very rich.....there is no way of knowing.

You simply have to make a judgement when you think the time is right.

As for 2.32....it has been lower and it has been higher recently.

G

Nic938 Nov 21st 2007 1:22 pm

I knew nobody could predict what it could be I just wondered if there were any financial wizards that could tell me if there was an interest rate rise in the near future, and also like you have said that it has been higher and it has been lower as I have not been keeping track.

Thanks for the reply it was sort of what I wanted to know.

Nic

Windsor2 Nov 28th 2007 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Nic938 (Post 5582984)
I knew nobody could predict what it could be I just wondered if there were any financial wizards that could tell me if there was an interest rate rise in the near future, and also like you have said that it has been higher and it has been lower as I have not been keeping track.

Thanks for the reply it was sort of what I wanted to know.

Nic

Nic,

There are interest rate decisions from Australia and UK on the 5th and 6th December respectively - they will probably both keep them on hold but going forward there has been talk of a cut in the UK's rate and a hike in the Aussie rate.

The market is really focussing on global equity markets at the moment and the uncertainty there is leading to volatility in the Aussie Dollar. Over the last week, there has been a 10 cent move! The good news is that it moved in your favour, and is now around the 2.3560 mark, bearing in mind it hit 2.2180 last month!

Cheers,

kris maynard Nov 28th 2007 9:47 am

Hi

I have been watching the rate the last couple of days jeez my nerves are shot!!! have set a rate but will the interest rates on the 5/6th possibly see me get a few more dollars !!! I know nothing is certain but after seeing my money disappear fast ping ponging every cent helps.

Cheers

Kris x

Nic938 Nov 28th 2007 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Windsor2 (Post 5609455)
Nic,

There are interest rate decisions from Australia and UK on the 5th and 6th December respectively - they will probably both keep them on hold but going forward there has been talk of a cut in the UK's rate and a hike in the Aussie rate.

The market is really focussing on global equity markets at the moment and the uncertainty there is leading to volatility in the Aussie Dollar. Over the last week, there has been a 10 cent move! The good news is that it moved in your favour, and is now around the 2.3560 mark, bearing in mind it hit 2.2180 last month!

Cheers,

Richard, HiFX

Thanks for that Richard, much appreciated ;)

Nic

Nic938 Nov 28th 2007 9:51 am

Originally Posted by kris maynard (Post 5609498)
Hi

I have been watching the rate the last couple of days jeez my nerves are shot!!! have set a rate but will the interest rates on the 5/6th possibly see me get a few more dollars !!! I know nothing is certain but after seeing my money disappear fast ping ponging every cent helps.

Cheers

Kris x

Hi Kris

I too have been watching but I have not set a rate as I have no idea what is a sensible rate to set!!! Will have to watch for a few more days and see what happens.

Nic

kris maynard Nov 28th 2007 9:56 am

I know , was watching the other night and the difference in what i was exchanging was $1000 between the high and low but i didnt know what i was doing so was too scared to hit the button:o!!!
So have now set a rate at 2.37 and hope it gets back up there , i wont feel like ive lost anything then!!!
Fingers Crossed

I wish i was a financial whizz!!!

Kris xx

Nic938 Nov 28th 2007 10:16 am

Originally Posted by kris maynard (Post 5609522)
I know , was watching the other night and the difference in what i was exchanging was $1000 between the high and low but i didnt know what i was doing so was too scared to hit the button:o!!!
So have now set a rate at 2.37 and hope it gets back up there , i wont feel like ive lost anything then!!!
Fingers Crossed

I wish i was a financial whizz!!!

Kris xx

Just a slight understanding would be good for me :unsure: Like you, I think I will set a rate similar to that and hope for the best and never look at the rates again and will never know the difference.

Good luck

Nic

kris maynard Nov 28th 2007 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Nic938 (Post 5609589)
Just a slight understanding would be good for me :unsure: Like you, I think I will set a rate similar to that and hope for the best and never look at the rates again and will never know the difference.

Good luck

Nic

Yep Thats my plan!!!;)

Good Luck
Kris xx

Nic938 Nov 28th 2007 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by kris maynard (Post 5609654)
Yep Thats my plan!!!;)

Good Luck
Kris xx

Kris, if it does get up there, would you let me know. Just in case I miss it as I am running about on school runs etc.

Nicxx

kris maynard Nov 28th 2007 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Nic938 (Post 5610169)
Kris, if it does get up there, would you let me know. Just in case I miss it as I am running about on school runs etc.

Nicxx

Will do xx

Nic938 Nov 28th 2007 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by kris maynard (Post 5610181)
Will do xx

Your a star :thumbup:

Nic

sj oldfield Dec 2nd 2007 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Nic938 (Post 5582762)
Hi everyone

Is their anyone financial out there that can help me please?

Have registered with Hifx to transfer our money and we are considering the option where you set the rate and when it hits that they exchange for us. Can anyone tell me what is a realistic rate to set it at? At the moment they are quoting 2.32 is this likely to go any higher?

Thanks in advance

Nic

When using HIFX, please ensure they confirm your bank details back to you.
When they transferred our cash they paid it into the wrong account!!:eek: