Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Financial Crises Over

Financial Crises Over

Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default Re: Financial Crises Over

Originally Posted by slippery30
Maybe u cant find a job because you are on a student visa and do not have right to work. Very few employers are sponsoring employees in current times..
How come part time jobs like washing, meat cutting, night fill, stewardship, etc require full right to work.. They are meant for students.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

aliash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by slippery30
Maybe u cant find a job because you are on a student visa and do not have right to work. Very few employers are sponsoring employees in current times..
For odd jobs they usually require 20 hours per week which students are allowed. But these days condition are so worse that even in such kind of a jobs lots of Australian citizens are applying which have offcourse more priority then students and the reason behind such change is that Aussie people are facing hard time with job cuts and financial crises. For a professional like me who is on student visa it was and it is very difficult to find a part time job on my relevant field as company ask for PR but those jobs which were considered to be very low is also in high demand these days among australian citizens... so I am clueless that how on earth they are saying that Australian economy is growing.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

talara is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling

Australia isn't in the developed world.

Best hie hither to the IMF, World Bank and the CIA to inform them of this knowledge of yours then. They're all labouring under the misapprehension that it is.

They are saying the Australian economy is growing because it is growing. Trade is up which helps offset what is going on in some other sectors of the economy.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:01 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

The big picture or technical numbers look good, as announced by the FT:

Luck and timing ward off the worst. Good timing, management and a little luck have kept the worst of the global downturn from Australia. Its economy has comfortably been the developed world’s best performer. l

But, the real economy lags behind.....USD does not count anymore...Australia has become more expensive, we have highest ratio of consumer debt to household income ratios in the world, and a housing market waiting to be deflated so debt can be leveraged out of personal balance sheets.....
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by balkanghost

But, the real economy lags behind.....USD does not count anymore...Australia has become more expensive, we have highest ratio of consumer debt to household income ratios in the world, and a housing market waiting to be deflated so debt can be leveraged out of personal balance sheets.....
Interesting stuff thanks, didn't realise the consumer debt level was so high, do you have a source?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kaneez
Hi all
Just to update, as per aussi channels today, the experts are saying that the financial crises is over, in australia. AUD has increased to 0.889USD, interest rate increase to 3.25% as announced by aus reserve bank...
One small interest rate raise and the financial crises is over is a bit like saying
the 30mm of rain we had over the weekend means the draught is over.

Get real, It will take years to recover from this financial termoil.

Barney
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin giving out "financial stimulus" largesse left right and centre has saved Australia from the GFC, and doesn't have any ongoing effects.

Therefore, keep giving out cash to us all, spend more and more on Julia's classrooms and the Australian economy will be the strongest in the world. It follows.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by freebo
Interesting stuff thanks, didn't realise the consumer debt level was so high, do you have a source?
There are many sources of Household Debt in Australia, but very few that mention Consumer debt.

However, Household Debt has increased rapidly due to the big increase in people buying investment properties.

In 1990 11% of all Household Debt was Investment property.
By 2002 this had become 25.4%.

In 2002 only 16.5% of Household Debt was consumer debt, 4.2% being credit cards.

It will be interesting to compare current figures to this.

Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:09 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

I don't blame the goverment for spending its way out of a recession. What on earth are your savings for if not for a rainy day. Likewise for a good credit rating, borrow when you need to. Saying it would be better for Australia to plummet into a recession is all very well. As long as you volunteer to lose your house and job first.

Are we over the GFC not by a long shot.

I also think migration peaked in the last few years it will only be revised downward going forward. IMO
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:13 am

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
How come part time jobs like washing, meat cutting, night fill, stewardship, etc require full right to work.. They are meant for students.
No they are not there is no job meant for students, the fact that mostly students apply for them does not make them students jobs.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aliash
I dont know how it is over....!! I am in melbourne on student visa.. and from 7 month i am jobless.. I am a professional engineer and doing my masters from here and applying for jobs like cleaning and car wash aswell but still not getting response from any where...!! I don't know how come they came into such conclusion..Huh..
Heres a job guaranteed.... long as you can speak english clearly.

Modern Group need call center workers outbound.

Well known respected brand
Company in positive growth
supportive and fun call centre enviornment
competitive pay rates (that'll be 17 bucks plus commis)
Tullamarine Area
flexable working hours

13 11 78 (phone)

That ad has been in our local paper (Moreland courier) for 6 months solid now... I know they cannot get staff. There are plenty of similar jobs advertised as well. I realise it's the bottom end of the market, but you can definitely walk into these jobs if you live in the Northern Subs....or can convince them you will turn up daily.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 8th 2009 at 3:36 am.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by upyerfud
That would be the same "experts" who didn't see, or who had a vested interest in not broadcasting the financial mess of the last 2 years.
Unemployment is still rising, Aus exports are becoming more expensive due to strong dollar, house prices at unsustainable levels in relation to average earnings, hugely increased government debt, falling demand from China for raw materials.
I would never ever believe what "experts" in the media say, they are too much in hock with the people who pay their papers and TV stations millions of dollars in advertising revenue every year. Banks, credit card companies, real estate agencies etc. And they are too far up the arses of the politicains in Canberra to dare say a word against them. They are not going to bite the hand that feeds them are they?
Australia's property market is 1 of the few bubbles that hasn't burst yet, its not a matter of if but when. Once Fudds homebuyers bribe ends and interest rates go up another 1-2% then we'll see what the experts have to say then. When thousands of people who were suckered into investing in property at a time of high prices and low interest rates start defaulting thats when you will see how useless these experts really are.

Financial crisis over? More like it hasn't really begun yet here.
Absolutely spot on!
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

My own instincts tell me that something is coming that will make the recent crisis look like a picnic in the park. As someone mentioned people are still listening to the people who never saw the last several months events coming! I believe something will happen in America very soon on a financial scale never seen before that will affect every country in the world, stocks will crumble and people will lose savings. Countries are pulling out of using US dollars to trade oil and there is a reason for this.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by easty1976
My own instincts tell me that something is coming that will make the recent crisis look like a picnic in the park. As someone mentioned people are still listening to the people who never saw the last several months events coming! I believe something will happen in America very soon on a financial scale never seen before that will affect every country in the world, stocks will crumble and people will lose savings. Countries are pulling out of using US dollars to trade oil and there is a reason for this.
Hang on before you go predicting doom and gloom, at the end of the day we all still will need stuff like food, clothes, fuel, lights, water , furniture etc.

The economy contracts but essentially unless you vote in a Mugabe like character it does not collapse. Even Ireland which is in a bad cheque away from the IMF intervention. People still live and work and buy stuff, granted its hard to live but people still live. So my sister says anyway.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zambia
Hang on before you go predicting doom and gloom, at the end of the day we all still will need stuff like food, clothes, fuel, lights, water , furniture etc.

The economy contracts but essentially unless you vote in a Mugabe like character it does not collapse. Even Ireland which is in a bad cheque away from the IMF intervention. People still live and work and buy stuff, granted its hard to live but people still live. So my sister says anyway.
Why should I hang on? Just because my opinion is not popular, uplifting or blinkered does not mean it is wrong. I understand what you are saying but the need for essential items makes no difference if people can not afford to buy them. Third world countries also need the basic essentials but if you cannot pay for them you don't get them simple as.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.