British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   finance info please regarding loan/house buy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/finance-info-please-regarding-loan-house-buy-763471/)

johnknight001 Jul 1st 2012 5:34 am

finance info please regarding loan/house buy

hi all, quick question please, would i be better paying half of a loan or putting the money towards our house deposit, we have a loan with two years to run and our starting to save a deposit, not sure if its best to leave the loan run or pay a lump of it. cheers for any advice.

JOE2010 Jul 1st 2012 5:45 am

Re: finance info please regarding loan/house buy

Originally Posted by johnknight001 (Post 10148248)
hi all, quick question please, would i be better paying half of a loan or putting the money towards our house deposit, we have a loan with two years to run and our starting to save a deposit, not sure if its best to leave the loan run or pay a lump of it. cheers for any advice.

Hard to comment without knowing the amount, but in general you are paying on average 12% interest if it is a personal loan and you would expect to earn 6% if you were to start saving. If it is not a big amount it makes sense to pay it off. Any loans you have are also considered when you make an application for a house loan.

Tramps_mate Jul 1st 2012 6:50 am

Yes, I would clear any other loans before applying for a mortgage..

pumpkin blossom Jul 1st 2012 6:58 am

Agree. Pay off the loan first. Then you will cut the interest and in the long run be able to save more.

johnknight001 Jul 1st 2012 8:06 am

thanks all, was curiouse because the bank said i was better of saving it and keeping the loan going, obviously for their gain interest wise, will settle loan then continue saving, thanks again.

Bermudashorts Jul 1st 2012 9:18 am

Originally Posted by johnknight001 (Post 10148389)
thanks all, was curiouse because the bank said i was better of saving it and keeping the loan going, obviously for their gain interest wise, will settle loan then continue saving, thanks again.

Well they would say that... ;)

paulandcelia Jul 1st 2012 12:41 pm

Just been sorting out our home loan - we have a car loan which effected how much we could borrow for the house. Definitely pay off all loans and keep credit card limits low as this is also looked at.

abi31 Jul 1st 2012 10:24 pm

Bear in mind any early redemption penalties that may be applicable on your loan. But if there are none then yes I agree with the others - get rid of debt before you worry about saving.