British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   FIFA World Cup (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/fifa-world-cup-946203/)

Beoz Nov 20th 2022 11:07 pm

FIFA World Cup

Well, plenty of topics so far.

Here's one. Australia won't win a game. Why?

From the age of 9-13 talented footballers are selected in SAP teams which cost $1500 per season. To progress beyond the SAP system after the age of 13 requires players to be selected for NPL clubs. Another $3000 registration fee. Garang Kuol's NPL club waived the fee in leui of his parents washing the clubs kits. He just signed in the UK at Newcastle United. Without the kit washing abilities of his parents this kid would not have made it. Therefore we don't get to see the best talent progress. There isn't a single Australian player in the top 5 big leagues in Europe. A far cry from the mid 2000's when half the team were in the Premier League. In UK football or in Rugby League in Australia, the best can progress regardless of the wealth of parents. Soccer Australia is leaving so much talent out due to this system. Hopefully 3 drubbings is the wake up call.

the troubadour Nov 21st 2022 10:06 pm

Re: FIFA World Cup

At a world rating of I believe 38 further should be done to increase Australia's potency in rankings. There have been so much talk of on the cusp of taking Football to another level, for decades now but after a brief flurry , we appear to have declined. Football is very important for international recognition to be relegated to being a minor sport behind AFL and Rugby. But probably having so many football codes in place makes it difficult to win a rightful place with vested interests at play.

Retirednow Nov 22nd 2022 1:21 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 13155989)
At a world rating of I believe 38 further should be done to increase Australia's potency in rankings. There have been so much talk of on the cusp of taking Football to another level, for decades now but after a brief flurry , we appear to have declined. Football is very important for international recognition to be relegated to being a minor sport behind AFL and Rugby. But probably having so many football codes in place makes it difficult to win a rightful place with vested interests at play.

The spectators (vested interests) prefer mens football, AFL
and League. Rugby is a very distant fourth code, well behind soccer.

Beoz Nov 22nd 2022 3:17 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 13155989)

I believe in terms of registered players, football in Australia is on par with some of the big European countries. So many kids cannot progress because of the price of progressing.

Here is the pathway to play for Australia from within NSW (I believe other states have similar). Scroll down for men. https://footballnsw.com.au/players/player-pathways/

You will see on the far right is the SAP programs starting at under 9. Now here is a typical SAP program, Fee $1500 for a 9 year old. https://esfa.com.au/programs/skills-...ition-program/

OK I have posted the Eastern Suburbs SAP program but the Western Suburbs costs are no different yet the demographic is a lot more financially challenged.

This SAP program has been in existence 10 years now and Australian Football has gone backward.

So the problem we have is that some of us may like to get up tomorrow at 6am and watch the countries finest take on the World Champs, but they are not the countries finest. The are only the footballers who's parents were prepared to part with extreme costs in the hope their kid one day may make it in football. So the fan misses out and we have have gone backwards as a football nation.

On the flipside Rugby League. You can play for you country coming from the poorest of poor. Poker machine money from the Leagues Clubs has made sure all kids are supplemented in Rugby League.

brits1 Nov 22nd 2022 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 13155793)
Well, plenty of topics so far.

Here's one. Australia won't win a game. Why?

From the age of 9-13 talented footballers are selected in SAP teams which cost $1500 per season. To progress beyond the SAP system after the age of 13 requires players to be selected for NPL clubs. Another $3000 registration fee. Garang Kuol's NPL club waived the fee in leui of his parents washing the clubs kits. He just signed in the UK at Newcastle United. Without the kit washing abilities of his parents this kid would not have made it. Therefore we don't get to see the best talent progress. There isn't a single Australian player in the top 5 big leagues in Europe. A far cry from the mid 2000's when half the team were in the Premier League. In UK football or in Rugby League in Australia, the best can progress regardless of the wealth of parents. Soccer Australia is leaving so much talent out due to this system. Hopefully 3 drubbings is the wake up call.

My OH and I were talking about this over the weekend, I remember the days of Harry Kewell, Mark Viduca and Tim Cahill etc playing in the English premier league back in the day and now only Tyrese Francois is/was playing in the premier league both my OH and myself were football coaches in Australia and coaches at local clubs and there was some real talent (our sons were excellent players and went on to a high standard) but we were always surprised when the “players” just stopped playing once they got to high school and the most just became spectators some for football and others (the majority) to the Aussie Rules games (god only knows why lol) we asked an ex player (who had a real natural talent ) when we bumped into him at a game and he just said his parents were into Aussie Rules big time and that the football was just a bit of fun for him growing up.

Beoz Nov 22nd 2022 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 13156099)
My OH and I were talking about this over the weekend, I remember the days of Harry Kewell, Mark Viduca and Tim Cahill etc playing in the English premier league back in the day and now only Tyrese Francois is/was playing in the premier league both my OH and myself were football coaches in Australia and coaches at local clubs and there was some real talent (our sons were excellent players and went on to a high standard) but we were always surprised when the “players” just stopped playing once they got to high school and the most just became spectators some for football and others (the majority) to the Aussie Rules games (god only knows why lol) we asked an ex player (who had a real natural talent ) when we bumped into him at a game and he just said his parents were into Aussie Rules big time and that the football was just a bit of fun for him growing up.

My son has gone the other way. 3 years of rugby league and this year he played both league and soccer and is now ditching league altogether and it's soccer 3 nights a week even in summer.

Beoz Nov 22nd 2022 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 13156099)

Interestingly Tyrese Francois made his own way to London at the age of 13 to play with the Fulham FC academy. I believe Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka did the same back in the day by passing the Australian system.

the troubadour Nov 23rd 2022 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Retirednow (Post 13156005)
The spectators (vested interests) prefer mens football, AFL
and League. Rugby is a very distant fourth code, well behind soccer.

Righto. Men's football you call it? Something most the rest of the men of the world have not adopted. Even with numerous demonstration games from Japan to South Africa and beyond it has failed to ignite interest. Although The Gay community from accounts appear to have feigned an interest. Can't think why. Any thoughts on that?

Anyway France played with flair last night . Perhaps as Australia is simply not very good at it, being the reason for pretend disinterest.

Retirednow Nov 23rd 2022 8:14 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 13156280)
Righto. Men's football you call it? Something most the rest of the men of the world have not adopted. Even with numerous demonstration games from Japan to South Africa and beyond it has failed to ignite interest. Although The Gay community from accounts appear to have feigned an interest. Can't think why. Any thoughts on that?

Anyway France played with flair last night . Perhaps as Australia is simply not very good at it, being the reason for pretend disinterest.

They’re good at diving and avoiding contact. At competition level eg A League it’s minor compared to the AFL and NRL. I wouldn’t go to soccer these days even if it was free.

scotty9000 Nov 23rd 2022 9:30 pm

On the plus side that was an excellent goal. I did see Melbourne City play a couple of weeks ago and was impressed by Marco Tilio, hope he gets to play.

the troubadour Nov 23rd 2022 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Retirednow (Post 13156316)
They’re good at diving and avoiding contact. At competition level eg A League it’s minor compared to the AFL and NRL. I wouldn’t go to soccer these days even if it was free.

Nothing quite like a World Cup though. I was at the 2006 Cup in Germany and a great experience. It goes way beyond the games, but the international fans, the cities preparation, the special cheap train tickets that allowed travel throughout Germany and so on. I've been to a Rugby World Cup and not half the colour though quite acceptable as well.
Saying that I wouldn't go to a local 'soccer game' , but have been to some of the big English clubs when played in Perth like Leeds United and Manchester . Little to compare with teams like Liverpool, both home and away for crowd participation in singing and support. Unless of course some South American club support.
The fact that it is the world game, however cliched that term may be, makes it what it is.

Retirednow Nov 24th 2022 4:52 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 13156470)
Nothing quite like a World Cup though. I was at the 2006 Cup in Germany and a great experience. It goes way beyond the games, but the international fans, the cities preparation, the special cheap train tickets that allowed travel throughout Germany and so on. I've been to a Rugby World Cup and not half the colour though quite acceptable as well.
Saying that I wouldn't go to a local 'soccer game' , but have been to some of the big English clubs when played in Perth like Leeds United and Manchester . Little to compare with teams like Liverpool, both home and away for crowd participation in singing and support. Unless of course some South American club support.
The fact that it is the world game, however cliched that term may be, makes it what it is.

Boring is what it is…

brits1 Nov 24th 2022 11:24 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 13156470)

It really is a “world game” I love/watch and participate in a lot of sports and one of the sports I just could not take to is AFL I use to call in Aussie No Rules lol which is not really widely known outside of Australia. We did/do want Australia to do well in the World Cup and support them when England are not playing I think Australia has such potential to produce excellent players and be on the world stage as a lot of European teams are but because other sports are in the media and “pushed” more in Aus alas I do not think this will happen anytime soon.

the troubadour Nov 25th 2022 3:14 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 13156550)
It really is a “world game” I love/watch and participate in a lot of sports and one of the sports I just could not take to is AFL I use to call in Aussie No Rules lol which is not really widely known outside of Australia. We did/do want Australia to do well in the World Cup and support them when England are not playing I think Australia has such potential to produce excellent players and be on the world stage as a lot of European teams are but because other sports are in the media and “pushed” more in Aus alas I do not think this will happen anytime soon.

I find Aussie Rules boring, but each to their own. I support several teams depending on the situation at the time. A long time Netherlands supporter from the days of Total Football. I doubt without considerable effort on many sides, if Australia will become the footballing power it should be. I'm amazed China hasn't developed their football more. Don't recall them ever being in the World Cup.

Womens World Cup out in OZ next year.

brits1 Nov 25th 2022 11:43 am

[QUOTE=the troubadour;13156681]I find Aussie Rules boring, but each to their own. I support several teams depending on the situation at the time. A long time Netherlands supporter from the days of Total Football. I doubt without considerable effort on many sides, if Australia will become the footballing power it should be. I'm amazed China hasn't developed their football more. Don't recall them ever being in the World Cup.

Womens World Cup out in OZ next year.[/QUOTE

Somehow I just cannot “get into” watching woman’s football (even though I played the game myself) and Manchester City have a great team it’s just not the same for me, I did watch England (womens) team win the Euros and it’s great that the game is becoming more poplular and maybe I may change my mind one day (I certainly would if someone offered or I won tickets for next years World Cup tournament lol) We have a lot to thank the Dutch for introducing “total football” to the game. I see Wales have been beaten by Iran… I cannot say I am displeased with that result.