Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Feel like I'm the worst Mum in the world

Wikiposts

Feel like I'm the worst Mum in the world

Old Apr 24th 2006, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

draper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nice
Default Re: Feel like I'm the worst Mum in the world

Originally Posted by glennandkate
Am I the only on forcing my kids to move to the other side of the world? I am starting to feel so guilty at the moment as my kids really don't want to go. My sons easily bought and we have promised him a trials bike when he gets there (still not totally convinced it will happen stupid idea by hubby!!!!) He is know saying he doesn't want to go but as long as he gets this damn bike he will. Its my daughter who is really breaking my heart. She's 12 and ofcourse doesn't want to leave her friends and especially her Nan and Aunt and to make matters worse shes not screaming the place down about it - shes just gone really quiet about the whole thing and say's things like 'you are making me go if I like it or not so theres no point saying anything ' and then ' You say about you don't want to stay in England saying 'what if' - well maybe I dont want to live in Oz saying 'what if' about England'
Oooohhh I know in my heart I am doing the right thing but what if my heart is wrong and I totally mess up my kids lives
Do all kids go through this? I am so annoyed we didn't emigrate when we first spoke about it 10 years ago when they were small....
I feel the same. Have 3 boys - eldest (12 this week) says "I'm not going"/"I'll stay here" etc. Middle one (10) was keen at first, now having doubts, but we feel we can win him over (he is motocross rider here and promise of almost unlimited riding in Oz might swing it!). He is also sport mad but dyslexic and worried about school, but when I pointed out how much sport they do and explained the TAFE system he seemed a bit happier. Youngest is 6 next week and is only concerned about leaving his dogs. (unfortunately they are both pretty old and wouldn't survive journey and quarantine I'm sure), so we've told him that we won't be leaving the dogs. Actually we'll probably put off going until the dogs are no longer, as I don't think any of us could bear to leave them at 16 years old!
So I too feel "evil" at times for following our dream of not saying "what if" when we're older. But as a friend recently pointed out, if we don't go, you can bet that the kids will do the travelling bit when they're old enough without a second thought for us! And probably end up emigrating themselves!!!!

You're certainly not alone in the guilt feelings that the kids give you and we too wish we'd gone when they were smaller, but hindsight's a wonderful thing!!
Old Apr 24th 2006, 9:16 am
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you all for the replies - Even you Vash I think all this waiting is getting to me at the moment and what with the kids either moaning or giving me the silent treatment about it you kinda wonder what its all about! Anyhoo thanks for for all the words of support and the experiences you have had /having with your kids. It makes it a little bit easier when you know others are going through exactly the same thing and it so hard to talk to anyone off of the forum as people who's aren't going through the 'process' really don't understand.

Well I am going to tell the little bast***s that they are going wether they like it or not
Old Apr 24th 2006, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redlion
You will not mess up your kids lives, believe me. They will love it when they get there and make new friends and start doing new things in a lovely warm climate just because you can when its warm. Unlike here when you have to pray on your knees that the days you have off work or school will be something close to warm or at least dry. How many kids do you know that will get this chance of such a fantastic life experience in a new country? Dont get me wrong im not saying they should be gratefull or owt like that im just saying i am certain they will be fine once they see it for themselves. And before anyone else jumps on my back yes i know its not just about the weather but it certainly helps. Good luck to you all, go for it. Life is too short and we pass this way but only once!

Nev.

Thats a lovely idealistic post, but its about being realistic and research and knowing what you can really expect is very important too.

Anyone whos even visted townsville would not be hoping for warm weather but very HOT, often breezeless and humid, and in summer lots of wet weather. Lots of thought about coping workwise, school wise and recreation wise in that climate would be very important. There would be much of the year where staying inside/finding an airconditioned spot would be the most comfortable option.

I think thats the most important advice, know exactly what you are going to, if you do, you can do it confidently. However even then, families have different opinions on going and staying so make sure the family has discussed what to do in the event everyone does not settle.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 9:33 am
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Thats a lovely idealistic post, but its about being realistic and research and knowing what you can really expect is very important too.

Anyone whos even visted townsville would not be hoping for warm weather but very HOT, often breezeless and humid, and in summer lots of wet weather. Lots of thought about coping workwise, school wise and recreation wise in that climate would be very important. There would be much of the year where staying inside/finding an airconditioned spot would be the most comfortable option.

I think thats the most important advice, know exactly what you are going to, if you do, you can do it confidently. However even then, families have different opinions on going and staying so make sure the family has discussed what to do in the event everyone does not settle.
Thank you for your 'kind' words. I was not being idealistic i was being realistic, i have been to Townsville as it happens all be it not for a long time and it was beautifull but lets get facts correct, there is no comparison to our british weather, i am 42 years old and all i can ever remember is hoping that the weather will be nice this weekend when we are hopefully going to the beach which is 1.5 hours drive away. If you read my whole post i did say at the end that it wasnt just about the weather anyway, it would be foolish indeed to make that life changing move just for the weather. i was just trying to be supportive to the lady who seemed to be going through a bit of a crap time. I think she is adult enough to know if she is doing the right thing and for the right reasons, she certainly doesnt need someone like me you or any other to make that decision for her. Just take the post as it was given as a bit of moral support and please jump down off your high moral soap box!!

Have a nice day.

Nev.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your 'kind' words. I was not being idealistic i was being realistic, i have been to Townsville as it happens all be it not for a long time and it was beautifull but lets get facts correct, there is no comparison to our british weather, i am 42 years old and all i can ever remember is hoping that the weather will be nice this weekend when we are hopefully going to the beach which is 1.5 hours drive away. If you read my whole post i did say at the end that it wasnt just about the weather anyway, it would be foolish indeed to make that life changing move just for the weather. i was just trying to be supportive to the lady who seemed to be going through a bit of a crap time. I think she is adult enough to know if she is doing the right thing and for the right reasons, she certainly doesnt need someone like me you or any other to make that decision for her. Just take the post as it was given as a bit of moral support and please jump down off your high moral soap box!!

Have a nice day.

Nev.
Get over yourself please the reply was not about your ego, it was about townvilles weather. Which is as I described hot and harsh not warm, except for a few mild months in winter, ask any aussie most would tell you the same. You should check out north queensland beach conditions too like stingers if you think its beach paradise there. Just Facts mate I didnt build it.

Ive watched close friends (and other families) come to aus recently and turn around not much longer and go back because it was nothing like they expected, not easy to watch people go through that. So thank you for your lecture but I will continue to put my head on the chopping block and answer in a down to earth way. That is being supportive.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:08 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glennandkate
Am I the only on forcing my kids to move to the other side of the world? I am starting to feel so guilty at the moment as my kids really don't want to go. My sons easily bought and we have promised him a trials bike when he gets there (still not totally convinced it will happen stupid idea by hubby!!!!) He is know saying he doesn't want to go but as long as he gets this damn bike he will. Its my daughter who is really breaking my heart. She's 12 and ofcourse doesn't want to leave her friends and especially her Nan and Aunt and to make matters worse shes not screaming the place down about it - shes just gone really quiet about the whole thing and say's things like 'you are making me go if I like it or not so theres no point saying anything ' and then ' You say about you don't want to stay in England saying 'what if' - well maybe I dont want to live in Oz saying 'what if' about England'
Oooohhh I know in my heart I am doing the right thing but what if my heart is wrong and I totally mess up my kids lives
Do all kids go through this? I am so annoyed we didn't emigrate when we first spoke about it 10 years ago when they were small....
Kids are remarkably adaptable. Living in different places is a huge bonus. Opens up the world to them and can really help them cope later in life with inevitable changes of scenery/friends/jobs/etc. Good luck to you.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 10:20 am
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Get over yourself please the reply was not about your ego, it was about townvilles weather. Which is as I described hot and harsh not warm, except for a few mild months in winter, ask any aussie most would tell you the same. You should check out north queensland beach conditions too like stingers if you think its beach paradise there. Just Facts mate I didnt build it.

Ive watched close friends (and other families) come to aus recently and turn around not much longer and go back because it was nothing like they expected, not easy to watch people go through that. So thank you for your lecture but I will continue to put my head on the chopping block and answer in a down to earth way. That is being supportive.

Its not a lecture, i am just standing up for myself when someone calls me. I happen to respect the fact that you and other people can tell it like it is. who said paradise???? i just said its better there than here which i believe it is. Anyway i dont want to get inot a tit for tat with you or anyone else, so lets just leave it there.

Nev.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Kids are very adaptable and resilient so I am sure they will be fine. I have met someone who came over when one of their children was 16 and they did not want to come so the agreement was that they would come for 2 years and then when they were 18 they could have the money for a flight home. When this time came there was no way she would go back.
Kids are bound to be anxious about such a huge move, it is daunting enough starting a new school in the UK without having to do it in a new country but once they have had their first day there they will have friends and everything should be good.
I was fortunate in the fact that both the children that came with me wanted to come and the one that stayed in the UK and said she might never come is making the move next year.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:34 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

This is my daughters MSN pic
Attached Thumbnails Feel like I'm the worst Mum in the world-kr2.gif  
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:35 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
Oh dear
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme

Hehe, bless her

it's probably because they are scared of the unknown. It's very daunting for us so they must be feeling extremely scared about the whole thing. She'll come round.
redlion

Originally Posted by sme

oh dear, that must make you feel just great

Nev.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:44 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

oh dear, that must make you feel just great

Nev.

We've had a year of her being positive so the negative was bound to follow
She does acknowledge that there are bits she is really looking forward to so its not ALL bad
Old Apr 25th 2006, 4:11 am
redlion

Originally Posted by sme
We've had a year of her being positive so the negative was bound to follow
She does acknowledge that there are bits she is really looking forward to so its not ALL bad

i think we must be very lucky cos our ten yr old is soooooooo excited about going, she knows shes leaving friends behind but new ones will be there too so shes cool.

Nev.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 4:20 am
sme
......in the sand !

i think we must be very lucky cos our ten yr old is soooooooo excited about going, she knows shes leaving friends behind but new ones will be there too so shes cool.

Nev.

Yes mine was like that too.....then .....woosh another rush of hormones

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.