#4 Slovakia: 22.4%
#5 Greece: 21.9%
#6 Australia: 21.7%
#7 New Zealand: 20.9%
#8 Hungary: 18.8%
#9 Luxembourg: 18.4%
#10 Czech Republic: 14.8%
NationMaster.
Surprised at Chech Republic coming in at 10! Anyone ever seen a fat Ccech bird? Buggered if I have, they live off of coffee and cigs!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fat people.

Originally Posted by framac
Is it me or do I just notice it more but is fatness (obesity) more of a problem in Aus than in UK.
Fatness and obesity have different definitions.

Working in medicine, I've actually been amazed at the number of people who I think look a tiny bit overweight are actually obese (obesity is a BMI of 30 or over).

A good working target used by the yanks - in pounds - is:
Females: 100lb for 5 feet, plus 5 pounds per inch (eg 5'4" = target of 120 lb)
Males: 100lb for 5 feet, plus 7 pounds per inch.

In kgs:
height (cm) - 100.
eg 180cm: target weight = 80kg

Vash - I'm not at all surprised with Mexico being number 2!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 5:57 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Surprised at Chech Republic coming in at 10! Anyone ever seen a fat Ccech bird? Buggered if I have, they live off of coffee and cigs!
and the ones I have seen are seriously fit!!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Is it me or do I just notice it more but is fatness (obesity) more of a problem in Aus than in UK. Maybe because ppl are out and about more and not as well wrapped up in clothes that it is more obvious. Still plenty of stunning looking women around but I was shocked at the levels of weight some ppl carry here. Opinions please.
I was the original fat bastard......... but I had a bit of a health scare recently and got bullied into action by my doctor.

Earlier this year we took a well earned 3 month overseas break; well after 5 weeks in Blackpool and all those Hollands beefsteak puddings, proper chips, and proper mushie peas. Plus a counter lunch at the pub each and every day......... loads of lager etc and buggerall excercise? Well by the time we reached the Philippines........ i was in a bit of strife.

My diabetes was way out of whack and I ended up in hospital in a back street in downtown Angeles City. Told in no uncertain terms that if i didn't lose weight pronto............. I was odds on favourite to undergo dialysis and may be in need of a transplant job as my kidneys were useless and renal failure was on the cards?

I still had six weeks holiday left in the Philippines............ and a San Mig beer was costing a mere 50 cents a bottle. Anyway; I got discharged from hospital once my readings sort of stabilised a little.......... and someone put us onto a witchdoctor type person up the bush?

He was magic!!! He killed a chicken in my honour, sprinkled a bit of warm blood allover me.......... muttered summat what I didn't quite catch ..... but I think it was something along the lines of 'You fat bastard". He gave us a bag of smelly brown powder which I had to mix with water and drink 3 times a day......... we gave him a few pesos and we were offski back to the hotel.

The smelly brown powder tasted like dishwater........ it was 'kin 'orrible. But, in 3 days i lost 4 kg? After 4 weeks I lost a further 7 kg. To cut a long story short............ I've lost 21 kg and 10 inches of my waist in 3-1/2 months........ and i still regularly eat bacon butties?

We brought a truck load of smelly brown powder back to Perth with us; that took some explaining too at Perth airport when we got back home!!! We got stuck into this 'orrible tasting smelly brown powder and the weight continued to drop off...... but we soon ran out of it so I had to get on the blower and send a couple of my nieces and nephews up the bush near Mt Pinatubo to quickly grab some more of this magic; but smelly brown powder!!!

Only downside to this story is i spent AUS$1,600 on a nice business suit in Hong Kong while we there........... now I can fit two of us in the pants. I'm not really too worried about that now......... cos I've been given a new lease of life so I'm not bothered about a poxy suit any more. I've got the big 60 coming up next year and i just assumed we got more portly as we got a little older......... so i was never perturbed about being 'big'? Now i'm as keen as mustard to lose a further 20 kg and then i've cracked it?

I've never been really worried about my weight before because we live quite well. I didn't think I was really fat............ I just should have been maybe 8 foot 6 tall for my weight?
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:13 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Fatness and obesity have different definitions.

Working in medicine, I've actually been amazed at the number of people who I think look a tiny bit overweight are actually obese (obesity is a BMI of 30 or over).

A good working target used by the yanks - in pounds - is:
Females: 100lb for 5 feet, plus 5 pounds per inch (eg 5'4" = target of 120 lb)
Males: 100lb for 5 feet, plus 7 pounds per inch.

In kgs:
height (cm) - 100.
eg 180cm: target weight = 80kg

Vash - I'm not at all surprised with Mexico being number 2!
Hate the BMI thing. I bodybuild and as a consequence I am borderline obese according to the stupid BMI scale. My bodyfat is <10% and it doesnt take into account muscle bulk or build.

If I'm obese then many people I see on a daily basis should have greenpeace running down the road after them trying to throw them back in the sea.

To my mind its body fat percentages which tell the real truth.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Hate the BMI thing. I bodybuild and as a consequence I am borderline obese according to the stupid BMI scale. My bodyfat is <10% and it doesnt take into account muscle bulk or build.

If I'm obese then many people I see on a daily basis should have greenpeace running down the road after them trying to throw them back in the sea.

To my mind its body fat percentages which tell the real truth.
I totally agree with you. However, for most people, BMI does provide a good approximation as to whether or not they are under or overweight.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:25 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Yah, in the US obesity is rampant but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Oz is overtaking. I have no problem at all with large people's size......until I go to the beach and one of them bends over in front of me with a wedgie in their speedo/bikini.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:55 pm
Marvin for PM

Whitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bobcat
I was the original fat bastard......... but I had a bit of a health scare recently and got bullied into action by my doctor.

Earlier this year we took a well earned 3 month overseas break; well after 5 weeks in Blackpool and all those Hollands beefsteak puddings, proper chips, and proper mushie peas. Plus a counter lunch at the pub each and every day......... loads of lager etc and buggerall excercise? Well by the time we reached the Philippines........ i was in a bit of strife.

My diabetes was way out of whack and I ended up in hospital in a back street in downtown Angeles City. Told in no uncertain terms that if i didn't lose weight pronto............. I was odds on favourite to undergo dialysis and may be in need of a transplant job as my kidneys were useless and renal failure was on the cards?

I still had six weeks holiday left in the Philippines............ and a San Mig beer was costing a mere 50 cents a bottle. Anyway; I got discharged from hospital once my readings sort of stabilised a little.......... and someone put us onto a witchdoctor type person up the bush?

He was magic!!! He killed a chicken in my honour, sprinkled a bit of warm blood allover me.......... muttered summat what I didn't quite catch ..... but I think it was something along the lines of 'You fat bastard". He gave us a bag of smelly brown powder which I had to mix with water and drink 3 times a day......... we gave him a few pesos and we were offski back to the hotel.

The smelly brown powder tasted like dishwater........ it was 'kin 'orrible. But, in 3 days i lost 4 kg? After 4 weeks I lost a further 7 kg. To cut a long story short............ I've lost 21 kg and 10 inches of my waist in 3-1/2 months........ and i still regularly eat bacon butties?

We brought a truck load of smelly brown powder back to Perth with us; that took some explaining too at Perth airport when we got back home!!! We got stuck into this 'orrible tasting smelly brown powder and the weight continued to drop off...... but we soon ran out of it so I had to get on the blower and send a couple of my nieces and nephews up the bush near Mt Pinatubo to quickly grab some more of this magic; but smelly brown powder!!!

Only downside to this story is i spent AUS$1,600 on a nice business suit in Hong Kong while we there........... now I can fit two of us in the pants. I'm not really too worried about that now......... cos I've been given a new lease of life so I'm not bothered about a poxy suit any more. I've got the big 60 coming up next year and i just assumed we got more portly as we got a little older......... so i was never perturbed about being 'big'? Now i'm as keen as mustard to lose a further 20 kg and then i've cracked it?

I've never been really worried about my weight before because we live quite well. I didn't think I was really fat............ I just should have been maybe 8 foot 6 tall for my weight?
I just love your post
You could have a fabulous business going and supplying smelly brown powder to fat people !!! and use your own before and after pics of yourself, what a great testimonial! Well done Angie x
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:23 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gina and danny
when we went to brisbane from melbourne the first thing we noticed was that their was way more big people in brisbane than in melbourne so i think it depends on what area you look at
It's a trick of the light.

It has been irrefutably scientifically proven that at any one time there is EXACTLY the same number of 'fat' people in Melbourne as there is in Brisbane. It is a strange statistic but the world is full of them.

Because Brisbane has the lower population it just looks like the proportion is greater.

Add to this fact that there is a larger Asian population in Brisbane (probably...) then the illusion is complete ... the Asians tend to be smaller y'see.

Hope this helps,
Matt
Old Sep 1st 2007, 12:35 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
It's a trick of the light.

It has been irrefutably scientifically proven that at any one time there is EXACTLY the same number of 'fat' people in Melbourne as there is in Brisbane. It is a strange statistic but the world is full of them.

Because Brisbane has the lower population it just looks like the proportion is greater.

Add to this fact that there is a larger Asian population in Brisbane (probably...) then the illusion is complete ... the Asians tend to be smaller y'see.

Hope this helps,
Matt
There are very few fat people up here in the mountains... It's a shock to visit Penrith for example, the nearest large town down the mts, where they're highly concentrated. It's tied in to education and lower socio economic grouplngs.
It's shocking to see obese toddlers down there. Poor kids.
If I go over the mts to Lithgow, there are some big people there, who look large and muscular because the lifestyle is so different. Lots of workers there.
It's an amazing mix in such a short distance.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 12:59 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iPom
There are very few fat people up here in the mountains... It's a shock to visit Penrith for example, the nearest large town down the mts, where they're highly concentrated. It's tied in to education and lower socio economic grouplngs.
It's shocking to see obese toddlers down there. Poor kids.
If I go over the mts to Lithgow, there are some big people there, who look large and muscular because the lifestyle is so different. Lots of workers there.
It's an amazing mix in such a short distance.
Yeh, lots of big people living perfectly active happy lives and lots of skinny people miserable keeping themselves that way and on the verge of eating disorders.

What a strange world we live in.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 1:46 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Yeh, lots of big people living perfectly active happy lives and lots of skinny people miserable keeping themselves that way and on the verge of eating disorders.

What a strange world we live in.
How very true. Got a girlfriend here who is forever going on about her fat thighs. FFS she is about 5 ft 4 and 52 kilos. She is into excerise to the extreme and lifts very heavy weights. When we go out she NEVER lets her hair down and only eats salad with dressing on the side and very occasionally a glass of wine which she will sit on all night. she then goes on and on and on and on about how much she eats and her thighs. It has got so boring that we now ignore most of what she says and in particular we try to avoid inviting her out or around our places to eat as she just picks at the food and makes everyone feel uncomfortable.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 2:06 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

i can't believe how judgmental some of you are on here!!!!!
what if it just so happens that the day you are out, so are all the fat people!!!!!
what a load of toss!!!!!!!

i expect there are loads of fat arses on here as that's all you do.....sit on it and write rubbish judgmental, whinging pom crap all day...
get off your bum and go outside and go for a walk...
which i will do very shortly on the pristine white beach at the end of my road which will have just a few people on it who will all say hello to me...in the brilliant sunshine and 20c....
Old Sep 1st 2007, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
i can't believe how judgmental some of you are on here!!!!!
what if it just so happens that the day you are out, so are all the fat people!!!!!
what a load of toss!!!!!!!

i expect there are loads of fat arses on here as that's all you do.....sit on it and write rubbish judgmental, whinging pom crap all day...
get off your bum and go outside and go for a walk...
which i will do very shortly on the pristine white beach at the end of my road which will have just a few people on it who will all say hello to me...in the brilliant sunshine and 20c....
You're judging the people on here
Old Sep 1st 2007, 2:20 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

You're judging the people on here
oh augh misses
I knew someone would have to say that... yes i am and i can....but really get a life....live it instead of having to be so negative about everything all the time we all have bad days where ever we live but having bad days seems to be the hobby of most people on here.......when i came to australia first time i just had a fantastic time....now 20 years later i still am and i've been back to uk as well for 6 years and i had a great time there.....i have bad days...but the important thing is AUSTRALIA ISN'T AND NEVER WILL BE THE UK
and vice versa oh and by the way
....i am judging myself too.......i am sitting here on my big fat arse tooo..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.