Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Fashion Faux Pas Awards

Wikiposts

Fashion Faux Pas Awards

Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:25 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fashion Faux Pas Awards

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Sorry Hevs, that could've been me! I'll wear a longer shirt next time!

I'm having trouble find jeans that aren't low- or mid-waisted. I've always had high-waisted jeans (well not quite as high as Simon Cowell's before you ask). However after putting on 10 lbs in the past year, I'm in need of larger jeans and trousers. Prior to my weight gain, I hadn't had to buy new jeans for 15+ years!

My requirements are simple, well, I think so anyway, you don't have to agree! Where can I find reasonably priced zipper-fly regular-fit women's blue denim jeans**? I've searched all of Hong Kong and Brisbane in the past 10 months and still am not happy with what I've seen so far. I put it down to the fact that what I want is not fashionable and therefore nobody makes them. However someone not long ago said to me that high-waisted jeans were back in fashion and that all the designers were making them. But have you seen how high they are and the price tags?!?!?! Simon Cowell would've been proud of them.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A very unfashionable Mrs JTL

** Not button-fly, not baggy, not slim-fit, not acid washed, not boot-cut, not stretchy, you get the idea...
Well, being the fashion guru that I am I'm not sure that I want to give away my secrets....Ok then, seeing as its you and I have always liked you...Try Target
I got several pairs from there last year, short leg (PMSL!! Still had to take them up) not harry high pants, but higher than donut waist....they had black, dark and normal and I live in them
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
ebay UK? Seriously, I buy all my jeans from the UK cos I have such a fat gut I look worse than usual on low waisted ones. Mine either come from UK ebay or from Evans in the UK, over the internet. Also Asda when I'm back hom to get them. Not saying that you need UK ones cos you have a fat gut but I find a much better fit in the ones from home, as well as higher waists
I've looked but can't find my size, AU10/12, UK8/10, US6/8. Also I prefer to try them on to see if I can actually stand and sit comfortably in them. Most high-waisted jeans now are skinny-leg. If the waist fits me than I can't sit down because I can't bend my knees. If the thighs fit, I would need suspenders to hold the jeans up! I'll try Marks and Spencers (heaven forbid!) next time I'm in HK.

Originally Posted by hevs
Well, being the fashion guru that I am I'm not sure that I want to give away my secrets....Ok then, seeing as its you and I have always liked you...Try Target
I got several pairs from there last year, short leg (PMSL!! Still had to take them up) not harry high pants, but higher than donut waist....they had black, dark and normal and I live in them
Right, next time I go into Tar-jay I'll make sure I explore outside the kids' section. I'll thank you, Guru Hevs, once I've got the goods.

Mrs JTL
P.S. Can sleep well tonight knowing that I might soon be able to end my year-long search.

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jan 24th 2011 at 11:47 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:44 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Right, next time I go into Tar-jay I'll make sure I explore outside the kids' section. I'll thank you, Guru Hevs, once I've got the goods.
Just call me Trinny...or Suzannah...which ever the tall skinny one is called....I like to dream
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've looked but can't find my size, AU10/12, UK8/10, US6/8. Also I prefer to try them on to see if I can actually stand and sit comfortably in them. Most high-waisted jeans now are skinny-leg. If the waist fits me than I can't sit down because I can't bend my knees. If the thighs fit, I would need suspenders to hold the jeans up! I'll try Marks and Spencers (heavens forbid!) next time I'm in HK.

Mrs JTL
P.S. Can sleep well tonight knowing that I might soon be able to end my year-long search.
Hevs is probably a pretty good source of info for you size-wise

I'm so lucky, knowing what fits well from when I lived back home, and knowing the fit hasn't changed, I can order safely over the net. Good luck with Tarjay
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:51 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I'm lounging by the pool at my hotel gym and some fat guy, in speedos, on an adjacent sunbed keeps eyeing me up. He's just heaved his burly blubber away to show me his buttocks and inadvertently revealed a sort of red Indian plaited fish tail coming out of the back of his head... The fashion police should clearly incarcerate this loser in Guantanamo but it begs the question what is the most ridiculous fashion faux pas you've seen in Oz?
I've seen some horrific outfits one is - Blue stockings with black fishnets over the top, black frilly knickers over the top of them, a tutu and a t'shirt that says "You say BITCH like it's a bad thing"!

Oh hang on I was just looking in the mirror
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hevs is probably a pretty good source of info for you size-wise
Thanks for the "". So now everyone knows I will have to take up the short-leg jeans too like Hevs...

I'm so lucky, knowing what fits well from when I lived back home, and knowing the fit hasn't changed, I can order safely over the net. Good luck with Tarjay
I've looked at the websites of all the American brands that I used to buy from but none of them still makes my jeans. They've all gone from being classic and practical, to trendy and fashionable. Not sure if you are familiar with J Crew, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, etc. For many years I was able to ask anyone visiting the US to bring or send me jeans and chinos that fit perfectly without any alteration.

Mrs JTL
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:59 am
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I've seen what I might consider crap fashion all over the world. Australia is way behind in the bad looks department compared to the departure lounge at Stansted or Luton in the holiday season.
Have you been to geelong or colac?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the "". So now everyone knows I will have to take up the short-leg jeans too like Hevs...

I've looked at the websites of all the American brands that I used to buy from but none of them still makes my jeans. They've all gone from being classic and practical, to trendy and fashionable. Not sure if you are familiar with J Crew, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, etc. For many years I was able to ask anyone visiting the US to bring or send me jeans and chinos that fit perfectly without any alteration.

Mrs JTL
Gawd no, I''ve never had the shape for anything with a brandname on it I'd give loads to be wearing short-leg jeans like Hevs, ooooH the pleaseure!!! The highspot of good shopping for me is going into Evans and (just occasionally) being the slimmest one there
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:32 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

a) Pointy man breast length beard, shaved head and one of those big ear stretching rings

b) Slapper shoes - the incredibly high spikey heeled shoes that seem to be a la mode, the best ones are those that make the fashion victime walk as though trying to hold a cherry between her arse cheeks

c) Brightly coloured board shorts, singlet and tat display, gay shell necklace, cap on sideways, thongs

d) Dress sack, motability scooter and sausage legs - modeled on set at Stockland food court

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Jan 25th 2011 at 6:56 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:37 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
a) Pointy man breast length beard, shaved head and one of those big ear stretching rings

b) Slapper shoes - the incredibly high spikey heeled shoes that seem to be a la mode, the best ones are those that make the fashion victime walk as though trying to hold a cherry between her arse cheeks

c) Brightly coloured board shorts, singlet and tat display, gay shell necklace, cap on sideways, thongs

d) Dress sack, mobility scooter and sausage legs - modeled on set at Stockland food court
Being a bloke in the late summer/early autumn ( approx September 11th) of my life, I'm a big fan of the slapper/hooker stylee, any sort of eye candy is gratefully appreciated. The only trouble is, being in the September 11th, I'm rarely out after 9pm to see such delights.
Re motability chic, I doubt much thought is put into appearence, bearing in mind such a poor soul can barely tie up their shoelaces without inducing a coronary
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Hevs, that could've been me! I'll wear a longer shirt next time!

I'm having trouble find jeans that aren't low- or mid-waisted. I've always had high-waisted jeans (well not quite as high as Simon Cowell's before you ask). However after putting on 10 lbs in the past year, I'm in need of larger jeans and trousers. Prior to my weight gain, I hadn't had to buy new jeans for 15+ years!

My requirements are simple, well, I think so anyway, you don't have to agree! Where can I find reasonably priced zipper-fly regular-fit women's blue denim jeans**? I've searched all of Hong Kong and Brisbane in the past 10 months and still am not happy with what I've seen so far. I put it down to the fact that what I want is not fashionable and therefore nobody makes them. However someone not long ago said to me that high-waisted jeans were back in fashion and that all the designers were making them. But have you seen how high they are and the price tags?!?!?! Simon Cowell would've been proud of them.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A very unfashionable Mrs JTL

** Not button-fly, not baggy, not slim-fit, not acid washed, not boot-cut, not stretchy, you get the idea...
Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
Being a bloke in the late summer/early autumn ( approx September 11th) of my life, I'm a big fan of the slapper/hooker stylee, any sort of eye candy is gratefully appreciated. The only trouble is, being in the September 11th, I'm rarely out after 9pm to see such delights.
Re motability chic, I doubt much thought is put into appearence, bearing in mind such a poor soul can barely tie up their shoelaces without inducing a coronary
Just Jeans/ JeansWest seem to carry normal jeans. I think the former now does fits for different types.

Here they are next to each other so I wondered why I couldn't work out where I'd got my last pairs from..until I carried on out of the store..

Faux pas - synthetic business shirts, short-sleeved. Business shirts with pockets. Floppy collars.