Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Famous Australians that don't live in Australia

Wikiposts

Famous Australians that don't live in Australia

Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Famous Australians that don't live in Australia

Originally Posted by wilf70
Why do so many Aussies vacant its shores and so fast once they 'find' fame[or otherwise]???
Because you can only go so far in Australia. There are more opportunities overseas.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Rupert...

Geoffery Robertson

Wheres Shane Warne at present ?

A fair few Footballers
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:04 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Who's Madge Bishop? Never heard of her.
She's a fictional character from Neighbours. She was a big hit in the UK.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:05 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Because you can only go so far in Australia. There are more opportunities overseas.
You hear this a lot, but why is it you can only go so far in Australia? And why are there more opportunities overseas? I'm not arguing the point. There may well be fewer opportunities in Australia, but I don't understand why. I mean, if Americans don't have to move to another country to achieve all they can in their careers, why do Australians? ... And if this is true, why do we just accept it?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by brissybee
You hear this a lot, but why is it you can only go so far in Australia? And why are there more opportunities overseas? I'm not arguing the point. There may well be fewer opportunities in Australia, but I don't understand why. I mean, if Americans don't have to move to another country to achieve all they can in their careers, why do Australians? ... And if this is true, why do we just accept it?
I think it's that entertainers gravitate to the US if they've exhausted their own market. This is true pretty much for most of the western world (including France). However Aussie artists also have the opportunity to expand into the UK, sometimes as a stepping stone to the US. But nowadays a lot more Aussie entertainers are skipping over the UK and going straight to the US.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

They make their money from us. Why make money from 20 million people when you can make it from 300 million. And they probably pay less tax.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gjn200
They make their money from us. Why make money from 20 million people when you can make it from 300 million. And they probably pay less tax.
But only until the tax office catches up with them
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The centre of the english-speaking arts, cultural and academic world is in North America and the UK. If you have the talent, that's where you will go.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
She's a fictional character from Neighbours. She was a big hit in the UK.
So you watch Neighbours then?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

There's 310,000,000 people in America and America is a hub for business.

With a population of 22,000,000 people and so far from the rest of the world, the rest of the world isnt about to come to us. It's not worth it. Australia is basically insignificant.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Guy Pearce?

(OK - born in UK , but moved to Australia when he was 3, so might as well be Aussie )
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

So you watch Neighbours then?
Only in the Poor Assumption Universe you inhabit.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:52 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Only a small number of theatre companies here(that pay wages),practically no full time ensembles.

There are quite a few film production companies but they don't produce much.

If you film a commercial your limited to one a year because clients don't want you popping up in other adds.You may have seen actors on two adds at the same time however they have probably misled the client when filling in audition application and you wont see them next year.
Commercials here are a one off fee with residuals for rollovers.You could earn 4 to10k for a commercial.
Sounds good for a days work but it's all you'll get for the year.Same commercial in the UK would be worth over 90k because your paid every time it's aired.
On the TV side of things if there was the dreaded licence fee we all used to complain about in the UK that would help with production and nurturing new talent.
Due to lack of funds TV companies are reluctant to give new people a chance that's why we have the same old actor's all the time in the same old shows.
We don't have many writers here, could be a reason for all the overseas content.
Everybody I know who went through an Australian drama school would like to perform in an English theatre if they were able.... it's simply the best.

If anyone wants a bit of Alan Bennett I might be doing Talking Heads next year if I can get the rights off Alan.
Will I be able to promote that on this forum?anyone?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

With a population of 22,000,000 people and so far from the rest of the world, the rest of the world isnt about to come to us. It's not worth it. Australia is basically insignificant.
It is what it is.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:29 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

At least Lee Kuan Yew says we're no longer the white trash of Asia.