Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Family Tax and Where's my Refund??

Family Tax and Where's my Refund??

Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:09 am
Account Closed

gigi100 has a spectacular aura aboutgigi100 has a spectacular aura aboutgigi100 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Family Tax and Where's my Refund??

cheers Bridie
No i wont get wound up as now i am looking at it from the point of view that it was money i didnt even know i had coming so i shouldnt miss it. But saying that i REALLY could do with it as i am broke. Thought cost of living would be cheap in Oz but how wrong was i! Used to live here 20 years ago and it WAS cheap but not now. Never mind i might get it eventually. Til then theres the credit card
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

markf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gigi100
cheers Bridie
No i wont get wound up as now i am looking at it from the point of view that it was money i didnt even know i had coming so i shouldnt miss it. But saying that i REALLY could do with it as i am broke. Thought cost of living would be cheap in Oz but how wrong was i! Used to live here 20 years ago and it WAS cheap but not now. Never mind i might get it eventually. Til then theres the credit card
I would keep calling as the only time your account will get looked at is when you call, If you phone and demand to speak to a manager then they will have to pass it on to head office and they should deal with it quicker. It also scares them if you mention getting in touch with a local MP as they dont want anymore bad publicity.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

when we left the UK (beginning of March this year) I informed the tax credit office 6 weeks before to finalise payments, also I asked to suspend the payment (by giving a higher than estimated income for the year) as my hubbie was self employed and I didn't want an over payment. The payments were indeed suspended only for them to be started again after we had left we didn't realise for a while, my Mum noticed on a bank statement (we have given her power of attorney) so I notified them immediately, they sent us a renewals pack and cancelled the payment (again). I filled it all in as they asked with final figures with an extra note to say could they let me know asap regarding the overpayment, that was June time. By last week I still havent heard anything so phoned them and asked what was going on as I realise the money will need to be paid back, to be replied with 'oh that's another department they will contact you when they want the payment back but as it stands you owe £428.11' 'bloody 'ell I replied can I speak to someone then to sort this out' 'er no, they will contact you by letter when they want the overpayment back', so I explained I don't want to wait they didn't overpay by that amount and I don't want the worry hanging over me. She then said that the payments had been finalised and we could do nothing aprt from wait until this mysterious department that I can't speak too contacts me:curse: WTF I can't even argue the amount until that happens, I'm going to phone back later on this week as I've been told if I persevere I will get to speak to someone who will look at it for me.
rant over - carry on
Old Nov 13th 2007, 3:53 am
Account Closed

gigi100 has a spectacular aura aboutgigi100 has a spectacular aura aboutgigi100 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by markf
I would keep calling as the only time your account will get looked at is when you call, If you phone and demand to speak to a manager then they will have to pass it on to head office and they should deal with it quicker. It also scares them if you mention getting in touch with a local MP as they dont want anymore bad publicity.
Well here goes then Call number 6 now i think! I will let you know what they say. I thought they wouldnt give a damn if i scared them by saying i may go to the local MP as they are all faceless and dont think it would affect them but maybe a manager would think differently. I will ask for the manager but i bet they wont let me speak to them!

Streaks i find it amazing that they cant accept the money back from you. Its lethal as i know that no matter how much i tried to put it to one side i would end up spending it as emergencies alwasy crop up and you know the money is there. I would suggest to the dept who ring you that because they wouldnt accept it straight away you will now have to pay them in installments as it has been spent!! See what they say. You could even say that they have the wrong tel number and give them the hard work of retracing you. I know they will get you in the end but it would serve em right