Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Family Tax Benefit + Youth allowance

Wikiposts

Family Tax Benefit + Youth allowance

Old Mar 6th 2006, 2:53 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Family Tax Benefit + Youth allowance

Just been to centrelink to update them on our circumstances

1. I'm working 12 hours a week - $40 reduction in Family Tax Benefit allowance.

2. Son turns 16 next month - I lose all but about $40 of the Family tax Benefit I get for him.....and he's not entitled to youth allowance as we've not been here 2 years BUMMER!

Just as he starts to get even more expensive!!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:30 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Tax Benefit + Youth allowance

Originally Posted by artep
Just been to centrelink to update them on our circumstances

1. I'm working 12 hours a week - $40 reduction in Family Tax Benefit allowance.

2. Son turns 16 next month - I lose all but about $40 of the Family tax Benefit I get for him.....and he's not entitled to youth allowance as we've not been here 2 years BUMMER!

Just as he starts to get even more expensive!!

So re no. 1, I guess you're still better off than before. Me and the Mrs have been trying to figure out if we'll be better or worse off if she works part time.

Paul.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:09 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Family Tax Benefit + Youth allowance

We haven't been to Centrelink to register for Aus style child benefit yet but someone said you can just do this yearly and it all just gets figured out at tax time.

Would rather get it once a year as a lump sum than keep having to tell them change of circumstances.

Anyone know how you do that?
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:14 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
We haven't been to Centrelink to register for Aus style child benefit yet but someone said you can just do this yearly and it all just gets figured out at tax time.

Would rather get it once a year as a lump sum than keep having to tell them change of circumstances.

Anyone know how you do that?
You can get the forms from Centrelink. Do your tax return and once it's sorted you can claim back the lump. We did is this year and had a nice lump sum sent to us (in notes in a suit case - bit strange).

Alot of people see it as way of saving.

Paul.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:17 pm

Question Re: Family Tax Benefit + Youth allowance

Originally Posted by diddy
You can get the forms from Centrelink. Do your tax return and once it's sorted you can claim back the lump. We did is this year and had a nice lump sum sent to us (in notes in a suit case - bit strange).

Alot of people see it as way of saving.

Paul.
So do you fill the forms in before or after the tax form???
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:22 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by annqldau
So do you fill the forms in before or after the tax form???
After, if you're gonna go the lump sum route. Otherwise you can take a guess how much you'll earn this year and they'll do a weekly payment, but if you estimate too low, you can end up owing them money, so err on the side of caution.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by artep

Wouldn't worry about the 2 year thing cause its means tested, parents income and the kids income (part time job that most have by then). Dont think many get it if they work.

Maccas is hiring send him orf for a job if hes 16 he'll be wanting the car soon.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by diddy
After, if you're gonna go the lump sum route. Otherwise you can take a guess how much you'll earn this year and they'll do a weekly payment, but if you estimate too low, you can end up owing them money, so err on the side of caution.
That's what we thought, that's why we didn't fill them in when we first got them, lost them now.

We would have had zero wage followed by one wage then two and both wages have changed since we got them so would be a nightmare. Plus I work varying shifts so would change on a monthly basis.