Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Family friendly brisbane suburbs

Family friendly brisbane suburbs

Old Jul 25th 2009, 2:12 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family friendly brisbane suburbs

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I wonder why there are always East v West battles, I blame the Russians

I couldn't help but smile at the thought of any development further 'East' of us
Looking at the map, that would be about Chile, I think

Both West and East have good points. Sometimes I do wish that we could get all the benefits of both in one place. But then, everyone would live there and it would be too crowded !

This is a local view towards Brisbane, from Mt Cotton .... (Beginning of winter, last week)
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_hj8k2cqkmsQ/Si...-mt_cotton.jpg
Is that you ABC in the pic?
Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
Beaches in Redcliffe aren't really up to much. Decent beaches are around an hour away from Brisbane on the Gold coast or Bribie Island.

TBH you may be better off living near Brisbane and travelling to the beaches when you want rather than having to commute into Brisbane.

The traffic can be horrendous at certain times of the day.

G
I think for a 6 yr old and 2 year old, the Redcliffe beach would be perfect.
Redcliffe Beach:

When we moved here, with a 6 yr old, even the little beach at Victoria Point was perfect for her.
Victoria Point Beach

Then of course there is the Brisbane City beach..

Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Is that you ABC in the pic?
Do you recognise that person then ?

Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I think for a 6 yr old and 2 year old, the Redcliffe beach would be perfect.
Redcliffe Beach: http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/wp-cont...13-300x225.jpg

When we moved here, with a 6 yr old, even the little beach at Victoria Point was perfect for her.
Victoria Point Beachhttp://www.abcdiamond.com.au/wp-cont...ch-300x225.jpg

Then of course there is the Brisbane City beach..
http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/wp-cont...7/49240033.JPG
Hats off to you ABC . . . you're certainly a dab hand at the old PhotoShop . .
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spartacus
Hats off to you ABC . . . you're certainly a dab hand at the old PhotoShop . .
Actually that is a program I have never been able to get to grips with. Give me spreadsheets any day, but graphics just isn't my thing.

Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:32 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Do you recognise that person then ?
No lol
Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

East Brisbane, Coorparoo, Camp Hill, Seven Hills, Greenslopes, Norman Park and surrounding suburbs are nice South side suburbs within 6km of the city. Close to the Mater and PA Hospitals. Good schools, both public and private. Good sporting clubs, ballet schools, music schools etc. We have three kids and have a home in Coorparoo which we will probably move back to when we come back to Australia. Our kids are 10, 8 and 6 and do a lot of after school activities - living in Coorparoo means we're in close proximity to everything we need. We overlook Whites Hill Reserve, a large park and sporting ground - great for bush walking. Good luck.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Thanks I'll have a look, I must say ABCDiamond that Redcliffe and Victoria look good to me, especially the latter looks like safer for young children but hey you never know what things really look like until you see them for yourself do you!

Manly and Sandgate were the areas that seemed like my kind of shoe (if you've been on city hobo you'll know what I mean) If anyone else can come up with any areas I'd be grateful!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Madster is an unknown quantity at this point

We are looking at re locating from Vic in DSec/Jan time, (to cold here), and hubby has been told he can relocate to their offices in Oxley.

So been looking at Fig tree etc, sure lovely but really do not want a huge mortagage (reason we left UK, well one of them anyway), so would for that and other reasons would like to be just outside Brissie, so what does anyone have to say about Beenleigh, Mount Warren, all of those areas round there?

Got a 3 year old and a 6 year old so dont really need to be in the thick of bars or anything.

And oxley in itself any comments, good or bad?

Would have loved redcliffe that was a 1st choice, but reackon travelling from there to oxley (not every day) but still surely must be 2 hour commute or something?

Decisions desicions, and to think we got it right first time round and then winter arrived

Cheers
Old Jul 26th 2009, 2:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Thanks I'll have a look, I must say ABCDiamond that Redcliffe and Victoria look good to me, especially the latter looks like safer for young children but hey you never know what things really look like until you see them for yourself do you!

Manly and Sandgate were the areas that seemed like my kind of shoe (if you've been on city hobo you'll know what I mean) If anyone else can come up with any areas I'd be grateful!
Redcliffe is most definitely the better beach out of the two.
I felt safe with my daughter, at that young age, in both of them. If my wifes job had been near Redcliffe, I think we may have lived there, but it was nearer Victoria Point, so we came here. And I am glad we did

But, yes, you do need to look for yourself. One persons heaven can be another persons hell.

Old Jul 26th 2009, 2:53 am
ABCDiamond

Whereis.com quotes

Redcliffe to Oxley as:
Distance: 61.5km Time: 59min (approx) Travel: Fastest (with tolls)
or
Distance: 56km Time: 1hr 0min (approx) Travel: Fastest (avoid tolls)

Victoria Point to Oxley is:
Distance: 43.6km Time: 49min (approx) Travel: Fastest (avoid tolls)
Distance: 43.6km Time: 49min (approx) Travel: Fastest (with tolls)
(No Toll roads out our way)

I tend to allow an extra 25% - 50% for these times quoted.

Old Jul 26th 2009, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

kids carer will become famous soon enoughkids carer will become famous soon enough

We live in Albany Creek which is about 12k north from the city. It takes my DH about 30-40mins to get to work in peak hour and he is on the outskirts of the city. It takes 20mins if he is travelling outside of peak hour. I like it here is a lovely family suburb and the school my DD goes to seems very good. Lots of large leafy trees to give lots of shade in Summer here and is close to quite a few big shopping areas. Prob around 20 minute drive to a beach from here.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 8:34 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madster
So been looking at Fig tree etc, sure lovely but really do not want a huge mortagage (reason we left UK, well one of them anyway), so would for that and other reasons would like to be just outside Brissie, so what does anyone have to say about Beenleigh, Mount Warren, all of those areas round there?

Cheers
Info on Beenleigh:

These are the nearest schools to Beenleigh:
Primary Schools

Beenleigh State School
Mt Warren State School
Windaroo Valley State School
Ormeau State School
Pimpama State School
St Joseph's Primary School
Canterbury College
Rivermount College
John Paul College

High Schools

Beenleigh High School
Helensvale High
John Paul College
Trinity College
Canterbury College
Rivermount College

Shopping

All major grocery stores are in Beenleigh (Coles, Woolworths)
There are other stores there for hardware, chemists and food.
The major shopping centre is 5 minutes away up the freeway at the Logan Hyperdome. There is also a cinema here.

Restaurants

Fast food eg Pizza Hut, McDonalds in Beenleigh
Not many restaurants in town, mainly taverns. Closest restaurants are at the Hyperdome.
Not really any nightlife in the town - need to head for Brisbane or the Gold Coast (around 40 mins drive in either direction).

Doctors

Many medical centres
Ambulance depot
Closest hospital - Logan Hospital 20 mins away

Transport

Train station in centre of the town. Brisbane 50 mins. Gold Coast 40 mins.
Bus station and local buses to Hyperdome and Brisbane

Leisure facilities

Tennis courts
Swimming pool
Ten pin bowling
2 x Golf courses
Park
Theatre company
Gymnastics
Karate
Netball
Basketball
Soccer
Rugby League
Baseball
Dancing classes eg Ballet, Jazz

Loads of places to visit close by as Beenleigh is so close to the freeway which means the Brisbane, The Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast are all easily accessible.

Mount Warren Park:

It has a nice feel to it, and is really friendly. Quiet at night and peaceful during the day, There is a small shopping centre there including a supermarket, bottle shop, newsagents, bakers, hairdressers, restaurant (Thai, I think), and a bowling alley.
There is a very good golf course (not that I know anything about golf!) and an RSL club which does very good food.
Next door to MWP is Windaroo. Again they've got a fab golf course and a small shopping centre. Very suburban but very family orientated as is MWP.
Both these towns are about 40 mins from both Surfers Paradise and Brisbane CBD, and about 20 mins from theme parks etc.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more info.
Julie.x
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Madster is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the useful information, my head is spinning with it all

Just goes to show how decieving a map can be, to me Redcliffe looks miles and miles further away from Oxley than Victoria point, yet travel time is only 10 min apart (if you take whereis).

And will def have to look at Albany creek to now, search area now becoming rather large.

Would anyone happen to know how long settlement tends to be if you buy a house in QLD? Def dont want to stay in rented again for to long.

Cant believe we are even attempting to do this all over, we must be mad

Cheers
Mads
Old Jul 27th 2009, 1:00 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Madster
Just goes to show how decieving a map can be, to me Redcliffe looks miles and miles further away from Oxley than Victoria point, yet travel time is only 10 min apart (if you take whereis).
Actually I would say Victoria Point is definitely closer than the map ABC showed. The route on that map is a bit silly, you can do it faster by going along the bottom of Capalaba.

http://www.whereis.com/?id=8EF8D6CD64D2A0

also Victoria Point to Oxley is 35km.
And Redcliffe to Oxley is 55-60km, so I would say that Redcliffe is miles furthur away.

I would also factor the bridge into to the mix. The M1 and the bridge is generally very slow at peak hour so it would be a lot slower than the Oxley-Victoria Point route. Plus you'd have to pay a toll every day (almost $3 each way).

The whole Bayside area is pretty family friendly so there are more suburbs to choose from. You should also check out Cleveland, Wellington Point, Ormiston, Birkdale, Thornlands, Alexandra Hills and Capalaba.

Last edited by comet555; Jul 27th 2009 at 1:09 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.