Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Family friendly brisbane suburbs

Family friendly brisbane suburbs

Old Jul 27th 2009, 2:36 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family friendly brisbane suburbs

Yep redcliffe is great, but what a daily commute, painful.

Bayside brisbane, or south east brisbane is great, but hey each to their own, trust me wherever you first go, it will be hard to move on to somewhere else so choose wisely.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 2:42 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

We nearly bought our first place in Oxley and if I were working around there would look at the suburbs on the Ipswich line between Chelmer and Oxley. The commute to the city and Oxley would be straight forward on the trains. Where as the commute between Vic Point/Redcliffe and Oxley would leave me suicidal after a month or so.

http://www.citytrain.com.au/stations...south_west.asp

Originally Posted by Madster
We are looking at re locating from Vic in Dec/Jan time, (to cold here), and hubby has been told he can relocate to their offices in Oxley.

And oxley in itself any comments, good or bad?

Cheers

Last edited by TrickyTree; Jul 27th 2009 at 2:44 am.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 4:33 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

I'd give a thumbs up to the Oxley / Corinda / Sherwood area - lots of good schools (both public and private), great transport links with buses and trains, shops, cinemas, parks etc.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by comet555
Actually I would say Victoria Point is definitely closer than the map ABC showed. The route on that map is a bit silly, you can do it faster by going along the bottom of Capalaba.

http://www.whereis.com/?id=8EF8D6CD64D2A0

also Victoria Point to Oxley is 35km.
And Redcliffe to Oxley is 55-60km, so I would say that Redcliffe is miles furthur away.
a.
That did look a bit odd to me at the time, but I never checked it. Funny thing is that it was also from whereis.com. Must be because it had three points on the calculation. I see now I should have put the three points in a different order.

I wonder if I can change it now I could change the map but I can't edit the time and distance...

Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:29 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Must be because it had three points on the calculation. I see now I should have put the three points in a different order.
I don't think it's the three points, sometimes whereis just gives slightly odd routes. I almost always have to drag the line to a different and slightly more sensible route. I think it just tries a bit too hard to stay to the main roads sometimes and it neglects the quicker back roads.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:31 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's the three points, sometimes whereis just gives slightly odd routes. I almost always have to drag the line to a different and slightly more sensible route. I think it just tries a bit too hard to stay to the main roads sometimes and it neglects the quicker back roads.
as a rule it will favour roads that have a higher average speed limit, but does not take into consideration junctions or traffic lights in choosing that route
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ridds
I'd give a thumbs up to the Oxley / Corinda / Sherwood area - lots of good schools (both public and private), great transport links with buses and trains, shops, cinemas, parks etc.
I'd second that - was one of areas, we looked at buying. I think OP should rent in that area first and then check out where they want to settle when they've had time to check Brisbane out.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:37 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
as a rule it will favour roads that have a higher average speed limit, but does not take into consideration junctions or traffic lights in choosing that route
Yes, that does make sense given some of the trips it's tried to take me on!
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Gaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the rough

Actually I would say Victoria Point is definitely closer than the map ABC showed. The route on that map is a bit silly, you can do it faster by going along the bottom of Capalaba.

And Redcliffe to Oxley is 55-60km, so I would say that Redcliffe is miles furthur away.

I would also factor the bridge into to the mix. The M1 and the bridge is generally very slow at peak hour so it would be a lot slower than the Oxley-Victoria Point route. Plus you'd have to pay a toll every day (almost $3 each way).

The whole Bayside area is pretty family friendly so there are more suburbs to choose from. You should also check out Cleveland, Wellington Point, Ormiston, Birkdale, Thornlands, Alexandra Hills and Capalaba.
Totally would agree with the above
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Madster is an unknown quantity at this point

OH will be working in Oxley hence one of the reasons we thought to have a look at it. Doing a reccie in a few weeks, I am all for renting first like someone on here said, however since we got here we have spent a fortune moving between two rentals, and then finallly in to our own house, so to ship all of our belongings to Brissie and then have them store it (have quite a bit of stuff), it would cost a fortune, so hopefully can find a decent place to live to move straight into.

ABC talking of whereis,or a similar site my boss had to go to Portland the other day without a sat nav so went into where is and typed in Portland (pretty sure that waas the place), anyway as he gets into the car to drive and skim the directions, he realised it had gone a slightly long route, cos it said when you get to the pacific or whatever sea it was , get out of car and swim acroos, then get a hire car etc etc, it had selected Portland in the states, and obv thought it would be fun to take the mickey. Well my boss didnt, I though was quite amused.

It just goes to show that if you want to go somewhere new, forget whereis, forget sat nav, what you really need is a woman to read the map.

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
We nearly bought our first place in Oxley and if I were working around there would look at the suburbs on the Ipswich line between Chelmer and Oxley. The commute to the city and Oxley would be straight forward on the trains. Where as the commute between Vic Point/Redcliffe and Oxley would leave me suicidal after a month or so.

http://www.citytrain.com.au/stations...south_west.asp
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

I travel from Cleveland to Wacol (a few ks past Oxley ) on my daily commute and it's quite do able .Leave 5am arrive 5:40 ish .Leave Wacol 3pm arrive home 3:50 ish

Last edited by bobbyftm; Jul 27th 2009 at 8:27 am.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I would also factor the bridge into to the mix. The M1 and the bridge is generally very slow at peak hour so it would be a lot slower than the Oxley-Victoria Point route. Plus you'd have to pay a toll every day (almost $3 each way).

The whole Bayside area is pretty family friendly so there are more suburbs to choose from. You should also check out Cleveland, Wellington Point, Ormiston, Birkdale, Thornlands, Alexandra Hills and Capalaba.
Not advocating either choice but from Redcliffe to Oxley you wouldn't go via the Gateway bridge - you would travel through the backstreets of the northern suburbs to Toowong (a colleague told me this last week) and travel over the indooroopilly bridge.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
I travel from Cleveland to Wacol (a few ks past Oxley ) on my daily commute and it's quite do able .Leave 5am arrive 4:40 ish .Leave Wacol 3pm arrive home 3:50 ish
Man, that is quick!!!
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Man, that is quick!!!
I think the tardis is his preferred mode of transport.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Man, that is quick!!!
Ah yes a slip o the finga my friend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.