Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Factor 30...bloody useless

Factor 30...bloody useless

Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:04 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Factor 30...bloody useless

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I swear by the Cancer Council everyday sunscreen, I wear their face stuff and body stuff and haven't been burnt through it yet!!!

(It's the one in the orange bottle)
Ditto! I won't use anything else.

- and it dries in dry. I hate all the sticky suncreams. YUK.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 12:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't care less if you all use it or not. I was simply surprised it was still on sale after what I remember. If it's fine and you all love it then that's lovely. I wasn't telling anyone not to use it and certainly wasn't espousing anything ffs.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought they'd banned advertising ANYTHING as over factor 30......

Have now "developed" from lobster to Toamato... Its not funny... Especially as I'm so bloody careful with the sunscreen
Old Nov 18th 2011, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Tried it... Still lobster bisque... I honestly think its me and my skin rather than the products....

Just stay out of the sun full stop....

NO sunblock stops me getting burnt. The sun here is just too extreme, UV levels in summer can be 13 and over!! also people think its stay out the sun from 10 - 2, thats crap, go to a website like www.arpansa.gov.au, here in summer the suns at burn level by 7am.

Also remember UVA rays go through glass, in your car, house etc. Ive burnt in my car many times, even with sunblock.

For some people staying out of it is the only way. We usually do outside stuff at night, swimming, dog walking....
Old Nov 18th 2011, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I thought that stuff had been proved to be totally dangerous crap?
Really? I had no idea, nothing else had came close to it for effectiveness before I started to use it.

I don't use it now as it is only factor 20 and I need factor 30.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 8:12 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

I thought they'd banned advertising ANYTHING as over factor 30......

Have now "developed" from lobster to Toamato... Its not funny... Especially as I'm so bloody careful with the sunscreen
Do you put it on 20 mins before you go out so it seeps into the skin?

Remember factor 30 means 30 hours exposure to get 1 hours worth of sun if you didnt use lotion.1 hour here minus lotion and you will fry.If you put it on after you go out,the damage is done before the screen can take effect.Factor 30 is not sunblock.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by brido

Remember factor 30 means 30 hours exposure to get 1 hours worth of sun if you didnt use lotion.1 hour here minus lotion and you will fry.If you put it on after you go out,the damage is done before the screen can take effect.Factor 30 is not sunblock.
The best way is to avoid the sun if possible, and when you go out in it wear factor 50 and long-sleeves and a hat.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
NO sunblock stops me getting burnt. The sun here is just too extreme, UV levels in summer can be 13 and over!! also people think its stay out the sun from 10 - 2, thats crap, go to a website like www.arpansa.gov.au, here in summer the suns at burn level by 7am.

Also remember UVA rays go through glass, in your car, house etc. Ive burnt in my car many times, even with sunblock.

For some people staying out of it is the only way. We usually do outside stuff at night, swimming, dog walking....
I'm one of those people. During the summer it's better if I just stay out of it and where I am that can be like 9 - 5 for months unless there is heavy cloud.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 10:50 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I couldn't care less if you all use it or not. I was simply surprised it was still on sale after what I remember. If it's fine and you all love it then that's lovely. I wasn't telling anyone not to use it and certainly wasn't espousing anything ffs.
I remember distinctly reading that P20 wasn't considered safe enough for the harsh australian sun. I used it years ago and found it brilliant in so far as i never burnt, but from memory, the concern was that whilst it did stop you burning it didn't block out all the harmful UVA and UVB rays and therefore wasn't really safe enough and might give people a false sense of security. I have never used it since then.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

So have just spent a LOVELY arvo next to the pool, smothered in factor 30 every 30 minutes or so... trying to get a bit of vitamin D and once again its a massive FAIL....

God knows what I would have looked like without it

Anyone recommend an EFFECTIVE sunblock???? i think I've tried EVERY one on the market and still I resemble a freshly boiled lobster

Even the zinc on the nose doesnt work..... Reckon its all those years spent on steroids....
YOu need one of those burka thingos.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 11:21 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
YOu need one of those burka thingos.
As do I really,with my pale skin. I also try to avoid the sun as much as poss but when I am in contact I can't ever do it without suncream, as I can basically can watch freckles appear!
Old Nov 19th 2011, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brido

Yesterday it went on half an hour before I went out because the phone rang....

I wasnt out there for more than an hour and three quarters and I wasnt in and out of the pool washing it off...

Really scarey thing is, it wasnt even hot....

I think I'll wrap up and take Monty out for a sun bake today....
Old Nov 19th 2011, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend SPF 30 and shade. To get some vitamin D. Sit in the early morning or very late afternoon sun for only 20 minutes with nape of neck uncovered and arms turned out with hands up. You will soak up enough vit D and this is what my dr recommends

I would also add that I tan pretty easily but never go out in the sun without SPF30 and generally moved between shade and sun.

Last edited by Hebe; Nov 19th 2011 at 1:33 am.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 1:23 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'll be putting on my Banana Boat Sport SPF 30 at cricket tomorrow anyway.

I forgot for one session and the result wasn't pretty.

I've got skin that burns really easily so I don't do much deliberate sun worshipping and if I'm swimming it is usually with a t-shirt on.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I think I'll be putting on my Banana Boat Sport SPF 30 at cricket tomorrow anyway.

I forgot for one session and the result wasn't pretty.

I've got skin that burns really easily so I don't do much deliberate sun worshipping and if I'm swimming it is usually with a t-shirt on.
I dont do any sun worshipping.... Its the scariest phrase "working on my tan" seeing people with melanomas being hacked about isnt much fun... The older folk who used to use cooking oil and worked outside come rain or shine you can understand... But young people "working in their tan"...... You'd think they knew better by now...

She says puffing on a cigarette....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.