Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Eye tests in UK or Australia?

Eye tests in UK or Australia?

Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all
Default Eye tests in UK or Australia?

Hi

We hope to move out to Australia soon but we both need to have eye tests (and possibly new spectacles).

Is it best to get this done before or after we move out? How do standards and costs between the UK & Australia compare?

Charlie
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eye tests in UK or Australia?

Eye tests are generally bulk billed here so free to you. Glasses and contacts are generally more expensive than the UK but you can get good deals, especially online. Totally up to you. If you're due one then I'd get it done at somewhere you know and have been before. Finding someone reliable in an unknown city when you've just moved could be stressful.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

We all got new glasses before we left as it was due. Since being here, eldest son has had to have new as he broke his() & worked out similar price at Specsavers.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:16 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

In case you dont know bulk billed works this way

The service is performed and you sign a document to say you received the service. The service provider then bills directly to medicare (the Oz equivalent of NHS).

It pays to shop around once you get your prescription. Initial place had my test done was $1200 by shopping around got it down to $600. (After health insurance only out of pocket about $250.

Also have a look at the different private health policies. Medibank and AHM were good with their level of contribution for new glasses. It does also depend on place you go to whether that private health insurance is connected with them.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
In case you dont know bulk billed works this way

The service is performed and you sign a document to say you received the service. The service provider then bills directly to medicare (the Oz equivalent of NHS).

It pays to shop around once you get your prescription. Initial place had my test done was $1200 by shopping around got it down to $600. (After health insurance only out of pocket about $250.

Also have a look at the different private health policies. Medibank and AHM were good with their level of contribution for new glasses. It does also depend on place you go to whether that private health insurance is connected with them.
Hi

What was the $1200 for? Spectacles and eye test?

Charlie
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:41 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlie5
Hi

What was the $1200 for? Spectacles and eye test?

Charlie
No charges for Eye test this is all bulk billed

The glasses included tints and scratch resistance, they were also branded. The selection available was also quite limited so just my luck the only ones I would of considered were the most expensive. However its easy to just take the prescription and go to another place with better selection/variety and cheaper prices
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:14 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely do it in UK. Cheaper and much wider range to choose from at better prices.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Definitely do it in UK. Cheaper and much wider range to choose from at better prices.
I am tempted to get it over with here in the UK. At least I know the opticians and spectacle prices.

Charlie
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

rosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nice

Originally Posted by charlie5
I am tempted to get it over with here in the UK. At least I know the opticians and spectacle prices.

Charlie
I got mine replaced just before I came over and it was the best thing that I did. To get the same lenses here would have cost me double the price, I have a high prescription and I always go for the thinnest lenses possible. (Blind as a bat without them)

The choice back in the UK is better and you have more options, I would suggest getting them there and going for transitional lenses. Saves you having to have a separate pair of sunnies and over here you need them.

Specsavers is in most areas, so have a look on there website, I can't remember if they give you prices though. They do 2 pairs for $199 which is all right if you have a standard prescription and are not bothered about all the extras.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 7:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I had to get rid of my transitions once I was here. Absolutely no flaming use when driving (windscreen polarised) and after a short time they don't go back to clear. Whilst it's a pain having both, my life (and that of any passengers) is soooo much safer with sunnies and non sunnies
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:07 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Ask for a rose tint
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I had to get rid of my transitions once I was here. Absolutely no flaming use when driving (windscreen polarised) and after a short time they don't go back to clear. Whilst it's a pain having both, my life (and that of any passengers) is soooo much safer with sunnies and non sunnies
And there is me just considering Transitions .... I got a quote locally:
$328.00 Thin Lenses
$ 60.00 M coat ?
$388.00 in my own frames.

Price from Specsavers is:
$150 Pentax Multifocal Lenses
$100 Transitions Lenses
$120 Extra Thin and Light Lenses, UltraClear - anti reflection and scratch-resistant coating
$370 Total in my frames

Now hearing/reading you say that..... back to thinking again....

Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

That is odd. I only just got new transitions here a couple of months ago. My last ones were maybe 4 years old, and had only just got to the point of not going totally clear again, and even that was only a tiny bit, not enough to notice without taking the glasses off and putting them in front of white paper.
I am told they are only supposed to have a two year life.

Personally I LOVE transition lenses, and will never go back. I do have sunglasses too, but only for when I am out in the sun constantly or for driving.

Personally I would get them in the UK, cheaper and better choice. The ones I got just recently, the eye test was free on medicare (you get one every 2 years). I hate wearing glasses, and hate spending money so went for pretty cheap ones, but not the cheapest possible.
They were **** ones from specsavers, $199 buy one get one free with an extra $100 for transitions lenses, and an extra $30 for sunglasses tint. I am not sure if it is my imagination, but the sunglasses tints do not seem as dark as you can go in the UK, but here there is a legal darkness that they can't go past. Personally for working outside they do not seem dark enough for me.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I paid just under $300 for two pairs from Specsavers -- quite a few to choose from and fairly modern really. It all depends where you end up in Australia. Even our local shopping centre (Knox) has a HUGE range of opticians - remarkably more than I ever saw in Bristol!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thanks for that post MP, very timely!
Managed to break my prescription sunnies today & was wondering weher to go for transition lenses next time.
Would be interested to hear other peeps experiences too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.