Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

"Expat" vs "Immigrant" ... Is the title of this website perpetuating racism?

"Expat" vs "Immigrant" ... Is the title of this website perpetuating racism?

Old Feb 8th 2017, 2:22 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Expat" vs "Immigrant" ... Is the title of this website perpetuating racism?

I've been known to frequent other online forums from time to time and referred to myself as "British Expat" for purposes of context.

More than once somebody has pointed out how it is interesting that, generally, western privileged (and generally white) people identify more as expat than the more loaded term immigrant when they amount to the same thing.

The more I think about it the less I want to refer myself as an expat as it seems loaded with implications of superiority and empire.

Given the title of this site is prominently reinforcing the term, what sayeth the masses?
Old Feb 8th 2017, 2:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Expat" vs "Immigrant" ... Is the title of this website perpetuating racism?

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I've been known to frequent other online forums from time to time and referred to myself as "British Expat" for purposes of context.

More than once somebody has pointed out how it is interesting that, generally, western privileged (and generally white) people identify more as expat than the more loaded term immigrant when they amount to the same thing.

The more I think about it the less I want to refer myself as an expat as it seems loaded with implications of superiority and empire.

Given the title of this site is prominently reinforcing the term, what sayeth the masses?
I've always referred to myself as an immigrant, especially when talking with my Dad about the bloody immigrants ruining Britain lol.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 2:44 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Expat" vs "Immigrant" ... Is the title of this website perpetuating racism?

Well first, the SJW types can go get bent. I'm getting p*ssed off being told I should be ashamed for where I was born and the colour of my skin.

And second there is a difference between someone 'trading across' between two western countries of roughly the same development level, and someone 'trading up' from 3rd to 1st world.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they are separate things, but often it's difficult to know when one status ends and the other begins. I've lived in (migrated to) five or six countries since I left Australia in 1963, and in all of them I've been an expat who - if the right circumstances had been in place - would have stayed put. England, Canada, Bahamas, New Hebrides (now Vanuatu), England again, and Cayman. The only one I stayed put in has been Cayman. I could not with confidence say at what point I switched from expat to immigrant, here; and I expect several BE members would have a similar problem. Those who left their original homes with the intention to permanently live somewhere else - I suppose should be called immigrants. But I really don't think it matters much.

This time last year we were intending to move to Mexico or the Canary Islands or both. As immigrants in Cayman, did we at that point revert to being expats? Maybe, maybe not.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GarryP
Well first, the SJW types can go get bent. I'm getting p*ssed off being told I should be ashamed for where I was born and the colour of my skin.

And second there is a difference between someone 'trading across' between two western countries of roughly the same development level, and someone 'trading up' from 3rd to 1st world.
Firstly, it's not about being ashamed of anything, for me the term ex-pat conjures up images of curly tached and pith helmeted knobs.

Secondly, an immigrant is an immigrant, trading up or down has nothing to do with it.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Don't care what people think so whatever they want to call me is fine. I'm Irish living in Australia. Ex pat or immigrant fits more to those who travelled by boat years ago in my opinion. We have freedom of travel, thanks to my privilege from birth. Would be nice if the whole world had the same privilege. Maybe there would be less intolerance.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

As my old mum once said to me...'you can't be an immigrant...you're British'.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Aint that the truth
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I think the use of the word immigrant has been twisted to suit the viewpoint of the person using it

I would have called myself an immigrant previously but now I'm Australian. I was, essentially, an immigrant into South Africa as a child but later on identified myself as a Saffa (remember, one of my biggest mantras on here is that you are whatever you want to be - not what someone says you are)

I've always seen the word expatriate in the context of someone residing overseas on a temporary basis
Old Feb 8th 2017, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

kompani101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I address myself to locals/officials as an immigrant but do tend to use the term 'expat' to family back in the UK.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 6:29 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I was a bloody immigrant, now I'm Aussie; with a piece of paper to prove it.

The Gorilla (6 years old) tells me that I can't be Australian, because I'm from Yorkshire. (According to him, he's the only 'real' Australian in the family, because he was born here.) I tell him that if that's the case I'll go back where I come from and take him with me. That usually shuts him up.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 7:32 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There's quite a few mums have said that!

Me, I migrated to Australia with no intention of returning back to the UK. So I consider myself an immigrant.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

(I've got a blue and a wine passport - what colour will the latter be post Brexit? That's another issue).

I just regard myself as Australian whether I'm in Scotland or 'home'. I don't think of expat, immigrant or emigrant (just to add another dimension as you can regard yourself as an immigrant in the country you've moved to or an emigrant from the country you've left).

I suppose I would add first before citizenship in the following dictionary definition of expat:

An expatriate (often shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing, as an immigrant, in a country other than that of their citizenship. The word comes from the Latin terms ex ("out of") and patria ("country, fatherland").
Old Feb 8th 2017, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Just for clarity, I did not hack Garry's account. Zulu, did you?
Old Feb 8th 2017, 9:38 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Just for clarity, I did not hack Garry's account. Zulu, did you?
On the first, I'll have no truck with people attacking others due to the circumstances of their birth - over which they have no control. That goes equally for SJW-types attacking those who are white, male and bought up in the west - or if they were black, female and bought up in Africa. They are equally wrong and bigoted. The racists at least have the good grace to hide and be embarrassed about it.

For the second, it does make a difference if someone decides to hop from living in the UK to living in Australia, or if they escape Somalia to live in Australia. Personally I feel the first is more defensible, change locale on only a slightly different scale to changing town. In the case of the second you are taking the best and brightest from a country that desperately needs their skills, so that the 1st world country can benefit. The individual might be better off, but society is worse off on average. One is a fair level trade, and the other a taking away of talent.

There, did that confuse you further, or do you see how it's compatible with everything else I've said ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.