Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Expat Voting Apathy?

Expat Voting Apathy?

Old Nov 10th 2012, 1:20 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Voting Apathy?

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
If everyone voted just for policies, then nothing would ever get done. You have to vote for the party that you think will do the best for you. They cannot cater for individual whims, and yes, sometimes they do lie, or change policies- sometimes they are forced to by economic circumstances. I know sometimes you don't get much of a choice, and don't like what they do
but at the moment that is the way democracy works.
Thing is, that's the way thing *don't* work. Part of the problem we have is that our current setup isn't fit for purpose, as well as not being democratic in the true sense of the word.

We are quite at a stage where true democracy can be done, and although there are problems with doing so, we know of certain that picking between liars to do as they fancy is a failure.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Irish people have no way of voting once they leave the country. They have to return to do that. So, no chance for me unless I happen to be in the country at that time. This is an issue as not for the first time, Irish people have been forced to emmigrate due to diabolical economic circumstances in Ireland brought on largely by the government. Not having a say in how it gets fixed (which could lead to a way back home) is insulting to those who've lost their jobs, homes and support of their families.

For english people who've had similar experiences, being on the other side of the world means you get no vote either. You've have a chance if you lived somewhere else in Europe.

Voting, regardless of how you feel about the contenders is very important. You're going to end up with someone, so pick one that you believe will do the best of the lot.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 3:20 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Just because you don't think there's a party worth voting for, doesn't mean that everyone else is of the same opinion.
Where did I say everyone.

I think it pretty cut and dry if voting is your thang. Where you pay taxes is where you get to vote. So knockoff if you want to send money back to Ireland and support the economy then you should have the right to vote there. But you abandoned your country and fled to Australia (the reason you did it is irrelevant) so why should you have any say in their affairs. If you feel so strongly about their affairs then go back there and make a real difference, or at the minimum, as I said, pay to facilitate a difference - but some how I doubt you will.

And I stand on what I said earlier, but to look at it from a different perspective than yours, picking the lesser evil is stupid and shows a complete lack of moral fortitude.

To be honest I believe the ballots should have a none of the above choice. But you know the scumbags in office wouldn't dare do that because it would be a direct indictment on them and give the populous far more democratic choice than we supposedly have now.

Last edited by furbacchione; Nov 10th 2012 at 3:44 am.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Rod_ph is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007
Why should I even be able to vote in UK elections?
I've lived and worked in Australia for over 5 years, it would be wrong to interfere with the election in another country.....
And where's the poll? I was going to vote
As furbacchione says below, democracy is about choice & the UK gives you up to 15 years away to be able to choose vote or not eg because by then the law determines that you have severed all links with the UK.
Here's the link to the poll (although you can't vote against!!)
http://www.votes-for-expat-brits.com/Sign-up-Poll.php

Originally Posted by furbacchione
Democracy is about choice. Compulsory voting is not a choice therefore I say up yours to those that try to force me to do it.
I think your comment "Democracy is about choice" sums up the overall issue of the right to vote (or not) very well.
Someone made the good point that you should be able to vote where you pay your taxes. I am resident in France and pay my taxes there but have no right to vote there. I also spend some time in the UK (less than 90 days/year), have a house, pay council tax there but have no right to vote there after 15 years non-resident in the UK.

Originally Posted by commonwealth
cant the consulate and high commission as ballot releasing and processing centre?
French expats can continue to vote from abroad with no time limit and can vote via their local embassies or consulates as well as on-line. The British government is not prepared to organise similar for their expats.

If everyone voted just for policies, then nothing would ever get done. You have to vote for the party that you think will do the best for you. They cannot cater for individual whims, and yes, sometimes they do lie, or change policies- sometimes they are forced to by economic circumstances. I know sometimes you don't get much of a choice, and don't like what they do
but at the moment that is the way democracy works.

And I have voted in UK elections since I have been here- whether my vote got counted, I don't know, but I did exercise my right. After all, women fought hard to get the right to vote, and I'm not going to lose it through apathy. The UK still holds my pension, and I'm a British Citizen so I have not completely cut my ties with it.
I agree Caroline your points on the way democracy works & the exercising of your "hard-won" right to vote in the UK.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't occur to me to vote in an election in Britain. I've not lived there for seven years, it would be outrageous to do so imo. I pay no UK taxes, I have no moral right to say who should run the country.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It wouldn't occur to me to vote in an election in Britain. I've not lived there for seven years, it would be outrageous to do so imo. I pay no UK taxes, I have no moral right to say who should run the country.
Strangely enough the standard UK government's response is that the right to vote is not necessarily related to paying UK taxes or not since other nationals (apart from Commonwealth & Irish citizens) resident and paying taxes in the UK also cannot vote.
However, after 7 years away as a British citizen you still have the right to vote in UK elections but choose not to do so for the perfectly good reasons you outline above.
That's not apathy but a personal decision in your case.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Irish people have no way of voting once they leave the country. They have to return to do that. So, no chance for me unless I happen to be in the country at that time. This is an issue as not for the first time, Irish people have been forced to emmigrate due to diabolical economic circumstances in Ireland brought on largely by the government. Not having a say in how it gets fixed (which could lead to a way back home) is insulting to those who've lost their jobs, homes and support of their families.
Here's at least some support for voting rights for the Irish diaspora from the Irish Times.
"Some expatriates may resent being asked to help a society that failed them. If the Government wishes to value these citizens and establish a creative relationship with them, it could begin by extending the franchise."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...326410167.html
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rod_ph
However, after 7 years away as a British citizen you still have the right to vote in UK elections but choose not to do so for the perfectly good reasons you outline above.
That's not apathy but a personal decision in your case.
That's my point though. I wouldn't have thought it was apathy for most people, the vast majority of people would feel the same way, that's it's not our call to make.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 11:37 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a dual nationality and i pay British taxes, I don't really care about voting but I really think you should be able to if you wanted to and the postal ballot is a farce as its impossible to do in time

a secure internet vote should be possible
Old Nov 11th 2012, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

So knockoff if you want to send money back to Ireland and support the economy then you should have the right to vote there. But you abandoned your country and fled to Australia (the reason you did it is irrelevant)
Thats actually quite ignorant
Old Nov 12th 2012, 7:35 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Thats actually quite ignorant
Without substance you're just noise not worth taking any notice of. Want to at least try and qualify that. At least when I called you stupid I backed it up.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Without substance you're just noise not worth taking any notice of. Want to at least try and qualify that. At least when I called you stupid I backed it up.
You called me stupid? Ha

What you said is ignorant as it makes a mockery of the decisions people were forced to make because of the diabolical decisions made by the Irish government. It would be their preference to be paying Irish tax over Australian tax but even that has been taken from them. Literally they were forced out of their country with their kids, no money and massive debt. Not being able to vote to get their lives back is a slap on the face.

Can I offer you some advice? Think of the bigger picture for once. Your posts on here scream of narcissism and often look like you are on a wind up. That's immature and useless in the few threads on here with an actual serious theme.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 8:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Site Rule 1. Personal Attacks
BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is "in it together", please treat others the way you wish to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack.

Thank you.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
That's my point though. I wouldn't have thought it was apathy for most people, the vast majority of people would feel the same way, that's it's not our call to make.
Yes, I've been trying to get some idea as to why not many British citizens living overseas (5-6 million) actually register to vote in UK elections (some 30,000) while they still have the right. This is one major barrier to getting politicians to react to removing the 15 year limit on these overseas voting rights.
Australia with the largest (+1 million) & furthest removed portion of these British citizens seemed a good destination to check out why on-line.
The French seem to retain a greater attachment to their land of birth with some 1 million of their citizens living overseas registered/voting in their last presidential elections.
The Irish diaspora has no right to vote but seems to demonstrate a similar patriotic attachment to Ireland.
Even the patriotic Americans who retain the right to vote from overseas as they also remain US tax payers, can still only produce some +200,000 (civilian) overseas voters, from a similar-sized overseas citizen base as the British (& with 5 - 6 times the total population not much different from the British/pop. head). One reason offered is that as overseas US citizens in general are not major donors to presidential campaigns, it's not worth spending much money reaching out to them!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:05 am
Banned

You called me stupid? Ha

What you said is ignorant as it makes a mockery of the decisions people were forced to make because of the diabolical decisions made by the Irish government. It would be their preference to be paying Irish tax over Australian tax but even that has been taken from them. Literally they were forced out of their country with their kids, no money and massive debt. Not being able to vote to get their lives back is a slap on the face.

Can I offer you some advice? Think of the bigger picture for once. Your posts on here scream of narcissism and often look like you are on a wind up. That's immature and useless in the few threads on here with an actual serious theme.
By what you're writing I'd say you're trying to say you're a victim of bad government policy and thus an economic refugee - how far off am I.

So tell us how you were forced to leave Ireland.

Well you're right about one thing I was winding you up. If you look back on the thread you would have found I never called you stupid.

I need to look at the bigger picture - what picture would that be. I thought i was being quite broad by saying you shouldn't get a vote if you don't pay taxes. Can't get much more broader than that.

Narcissism eh... that is so unfair. Can't you be a little bit more specific than that, but then again you think I should look at the big picture... insults don't get much more vague than that.

And no you can't offer me any advice... remember I'm a narcissist

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.