Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Exercise - when is the best time to do it and why?

Exercise - when is the best time to do it and why?

Old Apr 18th 2010, 1:17 pm
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Exercise - when is the best time to do it and why?

I would say that the best time is one that you can stick to. Not so much of a morning person myself, so exercising in the mornings would be torture! Any exercise is better than no exercise, no matter what time of day.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Tried that, one allen key is too big the next one down too small so will leave it til bonzo gets home...
So you may have an imperial allen key socket ( inches), and your using metric (mm's) allen keys or vice versa. Or you just need to look at the sizes of the allen keys that are too small and too big (will be stamped on side of allen key ) , then nip along to Bunnings in Toowomba and get the size inbetween for about $2. You really have no excuse now. I'm just telling you what bonzo will say.
I know your a girl but.....
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

To and from work. Can't stop cause you have to get where you're going!!!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:29 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by upyerfud
So you may have an imperial allen key socket ( inches), and your using metric (mm's) allen keys or vice versa. Or you just need to look at the sizes of the allen keys that are too small and too big (will be stamped on side of allen key ) , then nip along to Bunnings in Toowomba and get the size inbetween for about $2. You really have no excuse now. I'm just telling you what bonzo will say.
I know your a girl but.....
HAHA cheeky lol
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

I read something quite funny which was that you only have limited quantities of willpower and that as you go through the day various things sap those resources. Therefore as work, children, other half gradually sap you willpower during the day if you leave things too late you will have none left!

Having said that, exercising first thing in the morning can be tough espeially if you are not used to it.

My own personal plan is based on 4-5 days of exercise a week and I tend to look a week ahead to try and anticipate when I will be able to exercise. I usually take running shoes and gym kit with me on business trips and if I think I will be working late, I exercise early.

Simples.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

I prefer the evening. I find I dont have much energy in the morning and can only manage about half the distance I can do in the evening.

I also like to relax after work but before dinner, with a nice run. It clears all the work stuff out of my head.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:51 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

It doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. What is important is doing it regularly and sticking with it.

Exercising first thing in the morning on an empty stomach is catabolic. While some people swear by it as the perfect time for fat burning, the body starts chewing muscle for fuel. Not good if you are a bodybuilder and aiming for muscle hypertrophy.

At the end of the day though it all comes down to calories in vs calories expended and it all balances out irrespective of the time of day.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:54 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
I prefer doing it first thing in the morning because I haven't eaten and so I don't get a stitch (I have to be careful running/cycling in the evening because if I've eaten even 3 hours before I sometimes get a stitch).
If you're getting a stitch 3 hours after eating it means you need to learn a proper breathing technique.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:56 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm
It doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. What is important is doing it regularly and sticking with it.

Exercising first thing in the morning on an empty stomach is catabolic. While some people swear by it as the perfect time for fat burning, the body starts chewing muscle for fuel. Not good if you are a bodybuilder and aiming for muscle hypertrophy.

At the end of the day though it all comes down to calories in vs calories expended and it all balances out irrespective of the time of day.
Spot on. First thing in the morning on an empty stomach is probably the worst time to do it, but if this is when you enjoy/tolerate it best, then go for it. I enjoyed my early morning bike rides but usually threw at least some OJ down my neck first. Should be back at it soon!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:57 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

If I am working I go to a class before work, I wouldn't have the motivation after work when there are normal wifely duties to do as well. If I am not working I will have breakfast about 7am and then go to a class after 9am. I think someone earlier said something interesting in finding a time that works and sticking to it. Evenings wouldn't work for me, I am too tired and with kids and husband to look after it just wouldn't happen. Mornings are best for me so that is what I do.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:30 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

very early morning because it is the only time i get to myself. 4 to 6 days per week. Running/cycling/weights.

Will also be running a half marathon in a few weeks....
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:01 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I find that I exercise best in the morning - about half 5... good hours workout and then shower, and get the kids up and me ready for work.

At the moment my exercise is in the evening (karate training twice a week) and I find that my head goes and by 7pm, although invigortated, I am actually mentally and physically knackered!

Em x
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:05 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

I did my workout this morning, and one last night, will try to do it every morning this week, but boys a dear my inner thighs are killing me already! Not sure how many more mornings I'll last this week lol
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:08 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I did my workout this morning, and one last night, will try to do it every morning this week, but boys a dear my inner thighs are killing me already! Not sure how many more mornings I'll last this week lol
oh my... I know that feeling sooo well!

I missed a couple of weeks at Karate.. went back last Thursday, had a fabulous time.. legs still aching for 2 days... went today and today they were doing abs.. I dread to think if i will be able to get up from a chair tomorrow without holding onto a hand rail!!

Em x
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Best time NOT to exercise is 1.30 at Barwon prison

(sorry... omg can't believe that was typed... tasteless... totally tasteless)

apologies for off topic post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.