Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

everyone should donate organs

Wikiposts

everyone should donate organs

Old Jul 17th 2007, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice
Default Re: everyone should donate organs

I understand that for those of us who were in the UK during the mad cow years , our organs will not be acceptable for donation in Australia due to the risk that our bodies may be contaminated by the meat products that we ate.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Hav eyou got a link for this? It might be that case for blood, but not organs.

Certainly back here in the UK people who received a blood transfusion between about 1980 and 1996 can't donat blood but can donate organs.

The rationale is that an organ recipient is in much greater clinical need than a blood recipient, so the risk of CJD is worth taking.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:24 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

What concerns me is that if a person carries a donor card and then dies, the family still have the right to override the victims decision to donate organs which sort of defeats the object of carrying a card.

Mr PP carries a card yet his sister is strongly opposed to organ donation - although she admitted that if it were her child (if she had one) or nieces/nephews then it is different.

Really, if you are prepared to receive then you should be prepared to give in my book.

I would be proud and honoured if the organs of one of myself and loved ones could give life to others.

I think if a person expresses a wish to be an organ donor, then this should be respected. An opt out process would be good so if someone is against organ donation they can opt out by their own choice - or not as the case may be.

I have always said that if a heart can go on beating in the body of another then who are we to stop it?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:52 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an organ volunteer and have been for +20 years, as well as a bone marrow volunteer.

I was once asked to test further for bone marrow but unfortunately at the third stage testing I failed

The way I look at it is - if my hubby died, I would be devasted, but it would be comforting to know that more than 8 other people could have an improved life, to me it would mean he wasnt totally dead.

To comment on the situation in OZ re blood donation - if I need a blood donation that desparately, then the risk of CJD in 10 years time vs the risk of death next month / next year is well worth it in my opinion - the same with organ donation.

As a previous poster said, until you've "been there, done that" its hard to know for sure, but hubby knows if he doesnt agree to donate my organs I'll haunt him (i.e nag from beyond the grave) for the rest of his life
Old Jul 18th 2007, 2:06 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
I understand that for those of us who were in the UK during the mad cow years , our organs will not be acceptable for donation in Australia due to the risk that our bodies may be contaminated by the meat products that we ate.
what about veggies? is their blood acceptable?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 2:26 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

What if 'heaven forbid' a child dies and their parents are no longer asked if they wish to donate their child's organs and they are taken anyway? This could potentially happen could it not?
I am not sure about this 'opt out' scheme. Surely those that wish to donate do so by having the donor card?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 2:29 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

I had a life saving blood transfusion after the birth of my son. I have no idea who donated or if they had any contact with CJD or not at the time it was life or death and I am extremely grateful I got the transfusion.
I have since having the transfusion however never felt the same. Could be a coincedence, but I have felt fatigued and achy ever since the transfusion. My blood tests are always normal so I guess that's what nearly dying and having a child do for you?
DONT DO IT !!!! (have children, I mean) Your body will never be the same again!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 2:31 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
What if 'heaven forbid' a child dies and their parents are no longer asked if they wish to donate their child's organs and they are taken anyway? This could potentially happen could it not?
I am not sure about this 'opt out' scheme. Surely those that wish to donate do so by having the donor card?
this is the sort of thing that worries me, also any of us with anything unusual may find half our organs in a jar!!

I believe most medical research is valid, however there are unscrupulous people the world over who would be able to stop them?

I would love to donate so have a card but more importantly I have made all my relatives aware, but I would rather not donate if it will add to their distress at my death

so still in two minds
Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:09 am
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are plenty of valid arguments for and against compulsory organ donation, am not sure myself yet.

What I will say is, please if you carry a donation card, let your relatives know your wishes,
Its awful when someone is dying and you find a donor card on them and you then have to approach the grief stricken family and bring it up and it comes out the blue for them.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Opt-in, not opt-out in my view. It comes down to respect for the individual for me.

And as a previous poster said, it is madness (non-cow) that I cannot give blood in Australia but I can donate bits of my body.
But those bits of the body would be treated to some extent.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 6:55 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
But those bits of the body would be treated to some extent.
Treated? To what, truffles?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Treated? To what, truffles?
LOL.

Though on reflection, Im not really sure how they are treated...hmmmm...
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
LOL.

Though on reflection, Im not really sure how they are treated...hmmmm...
probably just given an Aussie passport
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:35 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asher
probably just given an Aussie passport
Maybe a Working Holiday Visa with a view to PR would be more appropriate?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anyone know the situation in other countries? Is Spain or Portugal "opt-out"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.