Reload this Page >

ever though of anywhere else in the world

Wikiposts

ever though of anywhere else in the world

Old Aug 7th 2006, 10:08 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ever though of anywhere else in the world

of emigrating to instead of Oz?

If the dreams of a better life are what you're leaving the UK for have you tried looking at other countries, closer to the UK but with the same climate.

Or is it the OZ factor - thats been drummed into brits for years

or is it because you already have family there?

I'm just interested as obviously the HUGE drawback of Oz is the distance and costs to visit the UK for family and friends - could you get the life in somehwere like Spain or Portugal for instance or is that really not your thing??

so is Oz the only place you've considered emigrating to or were there others??
Old Aug 7th 2006, 10:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ever though of anywhere else in the world

Originally Posted by islandmom

If the dreams of a better life are what you're leaving the UK for have you tried looking at other countries, closer to the UK but with the same climate.

I'm just interested as obviously the HUGE drawback of Oz is the distance and costs to visit the UK for family and friends - could you get the life in somehwere like Spain or Portugal for instance or is that really not your thing??

Often thought about being somewhere else but they were only thoughts. Only came here because we could and fancied a change. Nowt really wrong with UK just had the opportunity to experience a different country fairly easily
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:05 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Well we wanted to go somewhere they speak english. Canada is too cold and the USA is out for a few reason (crime etc).

So thats just Oz or New zealand
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I always knew that I didn't want to live in the UK forever. Me and my hubby had talked of moving to Greece but thought that with the kids being so spread out in ages (6,13 &18) that we would have to wait until the all grew up and left school. So that was our plan. We were going to retire to Greece.

Then the opportunity came up to come here, so we took it. The language is the same, so we thought it wouldn't as hard for the kids, as moving to another country is hard enough without the added pressure of them having to learn a new language too.

I have left my 18 year old in the UK and I do miss him a great deal, but we speak three or four times a week and he'll be over for a holiday in his christmas holidays. I am hoping that he will come out to live here after he finishes Uni but he's a man now and has to make his own choices for his own life.

I haven't got any regrets about coming here, and I know it's only early days yet but it feels so right here and I am extremely grateful that I've been given this chance. For the first time in my life I feel truly content.

As for Greece, well who knows what the future holds. It will still be there if we ever decide to go. One thing I do know though - I'll never go back to the UK to live. (not because I don't like it, but because it has nothing to offer me)
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by themerlin
Well we wanted to go somewhere they speak english. Canada is too cold and the USA is out for a few reason (crime etc).

So thats just Oz or New zealand
South Africa
Caribbean
Hong Kong
Singapore
Dubai

just to name a few where English is also a predominant language - but I think they're all harder to get into (apart from SA) and require a job rather than emigration status to live there.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:30 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

South Africa
Caribbean
Hong Kong
Singapore
Dubai

just to name a few where English is also a predominant language - but I think they're all harder to get into (apart from SA) and require a job rather than emigration status to live there.
South Africa - worse then the USA for crime
Caribbean - work would be an issue
Hong Kong - Singapore - a few days was enough, too many people in a small place.
Dubai - never been.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:32 am

South Africa - worse then the USA for crime
Caribbean - work would be an issue
Hong Kong - Singapore - a few days was enough, too many people in a small place.
Dubai - never been.
although I didnt put costa del sol - thats more british than Britain!!

and Caribbean work being an issue - yes, in the way that most people try to do FA and lime in the sun LOL!!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by WendyC
One thing I do know though - I'll never go back to the UK to live. (not because I don't like it, but because it has nothing to offer me)

Amen to that!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:34 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Dubai - never been.
The ME is good for a few years, but not a long term move IMO unless your a middle aged bachelor with no intention of putting roots down.
Dubai, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar all have a thriving expat community.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Malaysia
2. Thailand
3. Singapore
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

If I could get work in Hawaii I'd be there in a flash. Same for Bangkok.
The reason Oz appeals to us is that it offers the best of the tropical lifestyle and adequate work opportunities.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

dave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Often thought about being somewhere else but they were only thoughts. Only came here because we could and fancied a change. Nowt really wrong with UK just had the opportunity to experience a different country fairly easily
Spot on, a change is as good as a rest and all that.

I'd like to think that some day i'd be able to experience living in somewhere like Spain or Italy , even if its only for a few months . However when work and childrens education is a major factor its so much easier here than it is in those countries.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:54 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I always knew that I didn't want to live in the UK forever.
Exactly the same for me. I always had a feeling the the UK wasnt the place I would settle and retire in.

Hubby and I have discussed living somewhere else in Europe, Canada or NZ, but after Harry was born, Dan started to feel the call of home, so Oz it is, and I couldnt be happier.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Yes,Canada is cold in the winter but that benefits winter sports. The climate is very much 4 seasons. We have great snow for Christmas in lots of places so that means we can have fun beautifully decorating our properties with lights on our natural christmas trees and building wonderful snowmen followed by Boxing Day out on the ski hills trying out our new equipment but very little snow on the west coast except in the mountains. In the mostly populated areas there are good springs - the magnolias are blossoming from March to April across the country and summer temps are regularly in the 30s (humidex index pushes it up to high 40s). Air conditioning required in some areas and certainly lots of houses with their own swimming pools. January and February are the toughest months if you are not on the west coast but we can always drive down after our skiing vacation in some of the best ski resorts in the world to our holiday homes in subtropical resorts. And not forgetting the Fall-the most beautiful country in the world at this time of the year because of our famous red maple forests. C'est magnifique. Yes, a great many of us are bilingual.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:58 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Alaska
Italy (when I retire)

My other half would move back (and drag us with him) to Brazil if he could. He loves the place. Guns, drugs and all!

Wales

I'd live anywhere for a while, who know's where I'll end up as my wrinkles deepen and the incontinence increases.

My ideal would be to just gently travel the world for the rest of my days. With a small base somewhere handy, just in case I needed a break.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.