Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ever returned to a childhood holiday spot?

Ever returned to a childhood holiday spot?

Old Apr 4th 2009, 7:03 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ever returned to a childhood holiday spot?

And did it match up to your memories?

Few years back the missus and I were on holiday and she insisted on taking a detour to Borth in Wales. As we were driving there she painted this lovely image of the holiday cottage they'd stayed in every year with her family, just yards from the beach. When we got there, the first thing we saw was one of those concrete lean-to bus shelters with 'Jason is a ****' written in neon orange spraypaint. WE eventually found the road where the cottages had been, but they'd knocked down, replaced by some large squat block of a building of unknown use. I asked her if she wanted to stop off for fish and chips but her enthusiasm had waned () so I turned the car round and we buggered off.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever returned to a childhood holiday spot?

Often, but most places I remembered had not changed, they were just less sparkley than I remembered. Everything seems much better when you are young.
And don't even get me started on the HUGE wave pool at wet and wild in Florida, which when I returned really was quite small.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

When we were kids we always went to Isle Of Wight for our holidays, (this was in th 70's) and we loved it...................went back to the same place a couple of years ago..............just as good but it seemed much smaller
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:34 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
And don't even get me started on the HUGE wave pool at wet and wild in Florida, which when I returned really was quite small.
Does this fall under the same category as the fact that Wagon Wheels seem so tiny now?
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:37 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

i lost my cherry in the squash courts entrance,used to have a chuckle when i drove past there...
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Going back to Cornwall for a holiday in a couple of months and will be going back to a beach near Padstow where we spent a lot of our childhood summers. This time I'll be taking two of my children but I don't think the place has changed too much - just hope the weather is warm enough to go for a swim!!
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I went to a a place where i used to spend my school holidays on my best friends farm in primary school.

It was a road, full of tea trees and it was just horse studs and dairy farms all the way along.

Went there the other day and the whole road is a new 'suburb' not a tea tree in sight but rather gardens with 'palms'... looked so odd seeing no native to the area trees.

The whole experience depressed me for days lol
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:39 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as i have never been back to the Uk ....the answer is no.....but one place i remember going was Weymouth....my brother and sister were playing in the sea, mum and dad sitting on the beach in overcoats...and me freezing my ass off. put me off the uk for life....mm
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
And did it match up to your memories?

Few years back the missus and I were on holiday and she insisted on taking a detour to Borth in Wales. As we were driving there she painted this lovely image of the holiday cottage they'd stayed in every year with her family, just yards from the beach. When we got there, the first thing we saw was one of those concrete lean-to bus shelters with 'Jason is a ****' written in neon orange spraypaint. WE eventually found the road where the cottages had been, but they'd knocked down, replaced by some large squat block of a building of unknown use. I asked her if she wanted to stop off for fish and chips but her enthusiasm had waned () so I turned the car round and we buggered off.
You could see it coming Hutch. NEVER GO BACK.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:58 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Wild horses couldn't drag me back to Butlins Filey but I do still love Whitby, especially in Winter - wrapping up warm and drinking hot chocolate in a seaside cafe with steamed up windows.

Wish we had time on our annual whistlestop tour of the UK to spend some time there, but having to go to the North East and the South West with a stop off in the middle means we rarely get to take a detour.

(Yes we did go an awful long way on holiday from our home in Redcar, didn't we? )
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Oh took me to this quiet waterfall he knew about in Northumberland from his childhood and it was going to be so quiet and lovely and when we got there it had been discovered by the hoards, so many people, completely shattered his childhood memory.

Everything is smaller can go along with that