Wikiposts

Estate Agents

Old Jun 20th 2006, 6:31 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estate Agents

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
Got a few estate agents coming out over the next few weeks. Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of prices they will charge. Is it a set price or a %, and can i haggle?

if you remember the golden rule

all estate agents are lying cheating low life bastards who`d sell their granny for the commission

then you wont go wrong

regards Steve
Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:26 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Got a few estate agents coming out over the next few weeks. Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of prices they will charge. Is it a set price or a %, and can i haggle?
Depends on the agent and the marketability of your house.

Get the agent to do his thing of valuation first. Then:

Enquire into how long they expect it to take to sell (for offer, for exchange, for completion).
Dont mention migration for reason of selling.
Dont accept a tie in period greater than the time they quote you above.
If they say "your house is in demand and will sell like a hot cake", demand 1%. If they claim there are some problems ie unique property, neighbours from hell, property work needs to be done. Then be flexible (but no more than 2%).
Get them to provide evidence to support their valuation - ie sold properties within your local street. Usually the difference can be explained by offstreet parking or garage or slightly bigger garden.
If they cant provide above they are not selling in your area - ensure your agent is.

If you get an offer - dont take it off the market until the buyer incurs expenditure to show they are serious ie Solicitors fees, building inspection.

Hope that helps - good luck

Kiwi
Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o

all estate agents are lying cheating low life bastards who`d sell their granny for the commission

then you wont go wrong

regards Steve
Well thankyou for that bit of advice Steve i will remember that Have 2 estate agents coming around tomorrow, will be good to compare there prices to the ones listed on here. Never been good at haggling but going to give it my best shot we need every penny for OZ.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:36 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Well thankyou for that bit of advice Steve i will remember that Have 2 estate agents coming around tomorrow, will be good to compare there prices to the ones listed on here. Never been good at haggling but going to give it my best shot we need every penny for OZ.
ours told us he couldnt do it for less than 1.5%
no way couldnt be done
ended up signing for 1.125% point proved i think
Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Depends on the agent and the marketability of your house.

Get the agent to do his thing of valuation first. Then:

Enquire into how long they expect it to take to sell (for offer, for exchange, for completion).
Dont mention migration for reason of selling.
Dont accept a tie in period greater than the time they quote you above.
If they say "your house is in demand and will sell like a hot cake", demand 1%. If they claim there are some problems ie unique property, neighbours from hell, property work needs to be done. Then be flexible (but no more than 2%).
Get them to provide evidence to support their valuation - ie sold properties within your local street. Usually the difference can be explained by offstreet parking or garage or slightly bigger garden.
If they cant provide above they are not selling in your area - ensure your agent is.

If you get an offer - dont take it off the market until the buyer incurs expenditure to show they are serious ie Solicitors fees, building inspection.

Hope that helps - good luck

Kiwi
Thankyou will remember that. They have already asked why we are moving and i have just told them my husband has been offered a job down south. Didn't except them to ask where down south. Hadn't planned for that one just said "some where down south". My geography is crap didn't want to name and shame myself.

Again thankyou
Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:40 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou will remember that. They have already asked why we are moving and i have just told them my husband has been offered a job down south. Didn't except them to ask where down south. Hadn't planned for that one just said "some where down south". My geography is crap didn't want to name and shame myself.

Again thankyou

This is exactly what we have said Stacey, figured they don't need to know exactly how far south eh LOL!
Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:46 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o

then you wont go wrong

regards Steve
I'm with you on this which is why we got valuations off local estate agents and are selling through www.housenetwork.co.uk. Admittedly we've not sold yet but nowhere is selling quickly around here and for the first few weeks we were trying for a bit more than we expect to sell for.

We also sold our last house completely privately but wanted this one to be on rightmove. Must say we're quite impressed with housenetwork so far (for what they charge).

Lou
xx
Old Jun 21st 2006, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Again thankyou
We also said 'down South', then my 3 year old blurted out, "I don't want to move to Australia".

Leigh