Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The end of the Australian upward inflection ?

The end of the Australian upward inflection ?

Old Oct 21st 2014, 8:21 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The end of the Australian upward inflection ?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've recently noticed than on Melbourne youngsters under age 25 than the upwards inflection seems to have disappeared. It's certainly not present or very much less pronounced on my younger two kids aged 21 and 16 compared to their older siblings aged 31 and 29.

Reason I posted is I've just watched the news and seen some interstate kids from Queensland speaking and their accent is now noticeably very very different.

It's most pronounced on the Girls where they seem to sound a lot like their Californian counterparts except with a distinct Australian sound... the words, the speed, and the emphasis all seem to be the same.

Anyone else noticing this ?
Yes, I was just thinking about it today, funnily enough.

My 14 year old is picking up an "Aussie" accent that has a definite American twang, and I was at a conference today and noticed the same thing in a mid twenties, female speaker.