Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Employer Breathaliser Help and Info please

Employer Breathaliser Help and Info please

Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:34 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employer Breathaliser Help and Info please

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
How do I read that? Is it .4? Surely not.

No, 400 microgrames per litre equates to 0.08%.

It's confusing because you are mixing mass and volume in the calculations, so you can't do a simple division to reach the %.

S
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
No, 400 microgrames per litre equates to 0.08%.

It's confusing because you are mixing mass and volume in the calculations, so you can't do a simple division to reach the %.

S
I see, sort of
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
most of them are zero tolerance, instant dismissal here now, if the OP is on rail, I would think very carefully before any action. I've been in jobs where you'd have to answer criminal charges aswell as losing your job. I think the best the OP dare hope for is being offered the chance to resign without this going on his record (seen this done in the past)

You don't need telling what a silly boy you've been, I hope it's lesson learnt, keep your job and move on, but I wouldn't bank on it. Good luck
Since being in Australia I have worked on projects for BHP, Rio, FMG, Apache among others and have had to abide by their codes of conduct. As far as I recall, in most cases a 1st offence does not necessarily lead to dismissal. I found this strange after working in rail in the UK where there is a zero tolerance, instant termination setup

I'm sure rail is the same here
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Since being in Australia I have worked on projects for BHP, Rio, FMG, Apache among others and have had to abide by their codes of conduct. As far as I recall, in most cases a 1st offence does not necessarily lead to dismissal. I found this strange after working in rail in the UK where there is a zero tolerance, instant termination setup

Yeah, my friend is a train driver here in Sydney, and they are treated much like pilots - no alcohol for 24hrs before work etc.

I guess ultimately it comes down to the contract that was signed. If the OP signed one that allowed for instant termination, then I suspect he's in the shit. I would go back and consult my contract, and see what it said. Go to the meeting cap in hand and very apologetic etc.

S
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, my friend is a train driver here in Sydney, and they are treated much like pilots - no alcohol for 24hrs before work etc.

I guess ultimately it comes down to the contract that was signed. If the OP signed one that allowed for instant termination, then I suspect he's in the shit. I would go back and consult my contract, and see what it said. Go to the meeting cap in hand and very apologetic etc.

S
....and not drunk
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:08 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
....and not drunk
All I can think of now is Spud's job interview in Trainspotting...

S
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:00 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

No, it's the same as it is in the UK -zero tolerance.*

If they do a sweep and you even have over the counter medications show up that you haven't declared you could be in trouble.

*well, that's been the case in the two rail companies the other half has worked for here, and that's just the office staff.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:02 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

All I can think of now is Spud's job interview in Trainspotting...

S
And now all I can think of is Spud's 'morning after' with his new girlfriend's family...
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:03 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Dreamy
And now all I can think of is Spud's 'morning after' with his new girlfriend's family...
Washing the sheets?

S
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:30 am
Best move in life

interested16 will become famous soon enoughinterested16 will become famous soon enough

its 400 in NZ which i believe means 0.04 and its 0.05 in OZ, i could be wrong though!
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:32 am
Best move in life

interested16 will become famous soon enoughinterested16 will become famous soon enough

could be a silly question this but.....
What is the difference between being sacked and resigning?
I have never been in this position before so not to sure!
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:46 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by interested16
its 400 in NZ which i believe means 0.04 and its 0.05 in OZ, i could be wrong though!

No, 400 is 0.08%.

Originally Posted by interested16
could be a silly question this but.....
What is the difference between being sacked and resigning?
I have never been in this position before so not to sure!

Resigning is being offered the opportunity to fall upon one's sword and take the honorable way out. They will write you a nice reference, not add it to your personnel record, shake hands and be generally pleasant about it. Sacking you won't mean any of that.

S
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:51 am
Officially Bewildered

Washing the sheets?

S
That's the one
Old Jul 31st 2014, 6:19 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Just wanted to point out that if the test at the police station was taken 2 to 2.5 hours after the test at the employers it would understandably be lower given that your body would have metabolized some of it.

Did a quick search and according to this article two hours later your blood alcohol would have been approx 0.03 lower at the police station than it was at work.

UF expert: After drinking, blood-alcohol level drops by .015% per hour | Gainesville.com

And if you check on the wikipedia it could be between 0.03 and 0.04 lower over the two hours.

The rate of elimination in the average person is commonly estimated at .015 to .020 grams per deciliter per hour (g/dl/h)

Or this one which is the best so far I think and is the average of those two.
How Long Does Alcohol Stay In Your System � Metabolism Rates

As the blood alcohol content is continually changing over time it's not like you can argue your machine was inaccurate and the police machine was correct. You didn't get the test at the police station until 2.5 hours after the initial test, of course the result is going to be different!

Had a quick google and discovered that 400mcg is equivalent to 0.08% bac. So that's more than I thought! So using a drop of 0.02 an hour after 2.5 hours you'd have a bac of 0.03% which is much better (and that's using the faster rate). Also, that's if you started out at 400mcg which you didn't. Yours was 520mcg, not going to bother to convert it as it's still clearly quite high!

http://www.lionlaboratories.com/test...its-converter/
Couldn't get it to work going form breath to blood but played with it and got it to work in reverse. Also found corresponding 400 to 0.08 measurements online to verify.

I'm not sure what you are attempting to accomplish. You clearly had been drinking enough to be considered drunk in New Zealand and Australia.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 8:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
No, it's the same as it is in the UK -zero tolerance.*

If they do a sweep and you even have over the counter medications show up that you haven't declared you could be in trouble.

*well, that's been the case in the two rail companies the other half has worked for here, and that's just the office staff.
Yes, they would have to treat all employees exactly the same or face discrimination charges, here in the UK it certainly does apply to all, from the senior management down. For pilots, I believe, it's before every flight.
In the UK rail staff are also randomly checked for drugs, and here it is instant termination, and it's all staff as well, but they are usually given some sort of date for the test, perhaps a couple of days notice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.