Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Emirates Airlines: scary report

Emirates Airlines: scary report

Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice
Default Re: Emirates Airlines: scary report

if the general public knew how many near misses happen every day, there will be long queues of rafts on all oceans. btw, minimum thrust doesn't mean not safe. it's still within bounds of regulations. not even cheap american airlines skimp on takeoffs, the most dangerous part of a flight. it's just not good business.

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/...317/index.html
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

FrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really nice

What for h... you guys are complaining about? Emirates is probably one of the most reliable airline in the world and maybe one of the last airline who is able to pay all the maintenance costs as per the inspection requirements.

Obviously we do have some guys around here who have deep understanding of flying a people carrier. Ask them for some deeper insides and let them tell you some of the secrets of a pilot's day-to-day business. If you are already scared by a 'common' issue (believe me, pilots have been trained on hundreds of issues before they get on their first 'public' flight) and I can assure you, you guys will never fly again.

Look at the web and search for crashes or significant incidents ... you won't find Emirates.
I flew with them probably 100 times already and yes, there were some issues in some instances but I never, never felt uncomforable or unsecure at all because they came accross very competent and professional.

So, be happy about the significant low rates they are offering at the moment or keep quiet and take the car ..

Frank
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:18 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Did I mention the landmines?
Been there seen it mate
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:18 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. We could just pick on one airline a week if it would make people feel better and realise that all airlines have difficulties in one way or another.

Singapore Air ? 2 Fatal incidents. Qantas - perfect safety record since they don't count sudden drops out of the sky and holes blown apart in planes. Maybe Malaysian ? Fined for not carrying sufficient fuel. Surely British Airways is boring but safe ? Sorry no, most recently a plane actually landed 1000 feet short at LHR and tore off its land gears.

Bottom line is that you remain safer in the air than you do your own car.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:55 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.

It makes me die (wrong word - make that "laugh" <g>) when people rate airlines by how fluffy their pillows are or how many olives they put in the martinis, and then inhabit threads about air safety.

We all take it almost for granted that we'll get where we want to in one piece, regardless of which carrier we choose or what fare we pay. That's as it should be, and the risk of ending up as a smoking hole in the ground is almost immeasurable.

That doesn't mean that we should ignore the billions that have been spent - mainly by the old-established carriers and sometimes after learning the hard way, historically - getting air safety to where it is now. The worry is that with low-cost airlines offering fares that hardly meet the fuel cost, this spending on safety is taking a back seat.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Actually Malaysian is looking fairly clean over the last 25 years.......although according to the Australian media Malaysians can't maintain aircraft properly, so.......
Not quite correct:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/339810.stm

I'm sure they don't do this anymore but not squeaky clean.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not quite correct:

Oh well....it's defintely going to have to be the trans-con bus trip then.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:01 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not quite correct:

I think you might be quite surprised at what all airlines use as fuel reserves.

You have to burn extra fuel to carry extra fuel: the rule-of-thumb is 4% per hour: if you load an extra tonne for a twelve hour flight (say SIN - LHR) you will only have around half of it left at the end of the flight - 48% of it would have been used just carrying the extra weight.

So all airlines have cut down on excess fuel carriage since the price of oil rocketted. But as the article says, you don't know the day before, when the fuel load is calculated, whether you will actually have to use any "excess". Hindsight is a wonderful thing - pity you cannot buy it <g>.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:19 pm
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppyandpeanut
looks like we will be going with singapore air instead then
I'd virtually guarantee that they do not use full power for take off as well, unless required. The same goes for Qantas, Cathay Pacific, Malaysian, BA, Virgin Atlantic, Etihad, Emirates and anyone else. It is a Standard Operating Procedure.
Lets put it this way....if you were driving and came upon a hill, would you floor the accelertor to get up it? No. You'd use the correct amount of throttle to get you up the hill and no more. Same principle.
Aircraft operation and engineering is heavily regulated. We work to strict guidelines and parameters. We can fly the aircraft with a fair amount of stuff not working, individual brakes, thrust reversers, certain flight controls, generators, hydraulic pumps, but all within certain legal guidelines in a document called the Minimum Equipment List. Every aircraft you will have flown on will be carrying defects. I certify aircraft for flight every day and deal with these kind of situations, and follow all the guidelines and documents. I am legally bound by an act of Parliament (The Air Navigation Order) to ensure it is safe for flight. If the aircraft is not safe to fly I ground it until we have resolved the problem. I've even dispatched an aircraft with one engine not working (non passenger flight!).
All that said, mistakes do happen. The same as driving really, but I bet you will still get in your car in the morning and drive it without a thought.