British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Electrical Kitchen Gadgets that you use or dont use. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/electrical-kitchen-gadgets-you-use-dont-use-664366/)

ozzieeagle Apr 16th 2010 10:39 pm

Electrical Kitchen Gadgets that you use or dont use.

Just thought I'd start a thread on something left of center. Electrical Kitchen Gadgets that you buy and either end up being used a lot or just shelved. Not including the obvious ones like Toasters or Microwaves.

Our most useful one sofar has been a Rice Cooker, we use that at least 2-3 times a week. Followed by our Turbo Oven and Sandwich maker press. Every other gadget has been shelved. I wish we would use our Bread Maker, we've used that it is good, but seems to stay in the cupboard for some reason, Time is the problem there I think. Another one we use regularly is the hand blender. I'm getting worried about our recent purchase of our Big Juicer now... only got used the first week dammit.

On the bad side are things like fairy floss makers, popcorn makers, coffee grinders, waffle makers.

So which gadget are you glad you bought and which was the one which is totally a waste of space.

Top marks in our opinion to the Rice Cooker and Turbo Oven, most useless would have been the Coffee Grinder.

MartinLuther Apr 16th 2010 10:43 pm

Re: Electrical Kitchen Gadgets that you use or dont use.

Espresso maker.

Bread maker.

We do use the popcorn maker.

cresta57 Apr 16th 2010 10:49 pm

Dish washer, microwave, oven, kettle, toaster, coffee maker..................I use the fridge though, to keep beer cold

irishbloo Apr 17th 2010 12:27 am

The iron gets used alot in our house.The strange thing is that it seems that I am the only one that knows how to use it.

Kingseat Apr 17th 2010 12:42 am

ha! That sounds like our house irish!

When on special, I bought a pancake maker and a pie maker. No idea why at the time and my husband rolled his eyes (probably cos he thought they'd be in the same place as the breadmaker etc which is the back of the cupboard) but they are actually used most weeks. We tend to have pancakes at the weekend and I use the pie machine with leftover bolognaise or stew.

bcworld Apr 17th 2010 1:27 am

I had a moment of weakness one day when my catchoftheday email arrived and bought this George Foreman electric salad maker chopper upper. It arrived in a stupidly large box where it has remained ever since - with winter looming I think it'll be staying there too! :D

Another vote for using a popcorn maker though.

copa Apr 17th 2010 2:17 am

slowcooker - use it all the time

brilliant!

eddie007 Apr 17th 2010 3:32 am

Not used..

pie magic, donut wizard, bread maker, fairy floss machine, popcorn maker, magic bullet and IRON

most used

slow cooker, toasted sandwhich maker, boiling water machine that you just press the button ontop and it dispenses instant boiling water... I'm too impatient to wait for the rapid boil kettle to boil

Deancm Apr 17th 2010 3:59 am

Blender - Couldn't live without it!

Juicers? Pain in the arse to clean. Will never use one again!

eddie007 Apr 17th 2010 4:05 am

forgot to mention the electric ice shaver... never used that neither... nor the "chocolate factory chocolate melter"

emelems Apr 17th 2010 4:36 am

Rice cooker and steamer, I use both gadgets all the time.

Worst buy? Probably the pop corn maker for my daughter... its a retro 50s one but she doesnt ever really use it... and if we want pop corn then we go to Emundi market loads and they sell it there and its really nice.

Em x

Petals Apr 17th 2010 5:41 am

Most used

Rice cooker
Espresso machine
Egg Cooker

Least used steam leaner with attachments (takes too long to put together then too long to steam up).

Ice cream maker

eddie007 Apr 17th 2010 6:19 am

OMG I SOOOOOOOO want an icecream maker with built in freezer unit.... not one with a bowl you stick in the freezer, i'm too spontaneous for one of those

Dorothy Apr 17th 2010 7:43 am

I use the coffee maker (drip), toaster, kitchenaid mixer, rice cooker and slow cooker all the time. Bread machine, sandwich press, blender occasionally. Espresso machine very rarely.

squeezzii Apr 17th 2010 9:04 am

we bought a new toaster with a crumpet setting- its the nuts! use my juicer and Panini a fair bit too but the best thingy I have is my double boiler saucepan- I couldnt do without it