British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Election (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/election-924548/)

Kooky. May 3rd 2019 8:45 am

Re: Election

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12678740)
Me too. I am going to take more of the same please given the policies of the others are a disaster for this country. Nothing more to be sold by either lot.

Well I mostly did it because Mr K had to, as he's leaving the country tomorrow (I'm lagging behind a bit) and I wanted to vote with him, but I have to say it's a relief once you know it's done.

the troubadour May 3rd 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Kooky. (Post 12678722)
Don't confuse not watching a television program with apathy.

I've already voted.

I certainly don't confuse not watching a TV debate with apathy. I refer to the long standing disinterest in politics in Australia. I find it a shame when decisions on voting are made on ill deserved entitlements like franking credits for example . Be nice to get a statesman above the politics of lies and deceit with the sole intention of doing what is best for all that live in this country. Not a privileged section.

Kooky. May 3rd 2019 8:55 am

Oh those franking credits. I'll be struggling to keep my luxury yacht.

GarryP May 3rd 2019 9:16 am

I've come to the conclusion the only reason the libs still have a support level above single digits is because people are both NOT paying any attention to politics, and are greedy/stupid. After 8 years of inept, corrupt, failure it's the only possible explanation. Seriously, they have succeeded in doing absolutely nothing positive, specifically including the economy (that they have obviously no clue how to manage).

A dartboard would be more proactive and better able to come up with positive policies.

Beoz May 3rd 2019 9:18 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12678742)
I certainly don't confuse not watching a TV debate with apathy. I refer to the long standing disinterest in politics in Australia. I find it a shame when decisions on voting are made on ill deserved entitlements like franking credits for example . Be nice to get a statesman above the politics of lies and deceit with the sole intention of doing what is best for all that live in this country. Not a privileged section.

BS doesn't know how franking credits work. Good luck with that.

Beoz May 3rd 2019 9:19 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12678754)
I've come to the conclusion the only reason the libs still have a support level above single digits is because people are both NOT paying any attention to politics, and are greedy/stupid. After 8 years of inept, corrupt, failure it's the only possible explanation. Seriously, they have succeeded in doing absolutely nothing positive, specifically including the economy (that they have obviously no clue how to manage).

A dartboard would be more proactive and better able to come up with positive policies.

So what's the alternative?

Beoz May 3rd 2019 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Kooky. (Post 12678744)
Oh those franking credits. I'll be struggling to keep my luxury yacht.

You need to mention "the big end of town". However that line is becoming very tired.

the troubadour May 3rd 2019 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12678758)

It's got so bad, basically almost anybody apart from the Far Right knuckle jobs apart from the present incumbents. .

the troubadour May 3rd 2019 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12678760)
You need to mention "the big end of town". However that line is becoming very tired.

Well no its not. The big end of town with their tax evasion and abusive behaviour has been sussed out, by ever more people and people know Australia was and can be again better.

the troubadour May 3rd 2019 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12678758)

A government of the people for the people.

the troubadour May 3rd 2019 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12678710)
If it wasn't for the poor state of the ALP the Libs might have well given up by now. However they have been given a sniff with the odds shortening by the day.

It's a real shame our feds couldn't follow the successes, professionalism and the "do it all" attitude of the NSW Liberal government. Lots of lessons to be learnt there.

ALP in a pretty good state, thanks for asking. A pretty decent team to match. Far exceeding the Lib's who cannot be trusted by own party not to screw up. Hence they are being kept under house detention.

Beoz May 3rd 2019 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12678776)
A government of the people for the people.

That's a really cool idea, but first and foremost, the people need things, which 99.9% of the time are financed by money. Without the $$$$ there is nothing for the people.

the troubadour May 4th 2019 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12678821)
That's a really cool idea, but first and foremost, the people need things, which 99.9% of the time are financed by money. Without the $$$$ there is nothing for the people.

Here's an idea. Cutting taxes to the well heeled not the best idea nor allowing big business to get round paying taxes. The more they cut, the less for social services, education, hospitals.
A disgrace in a place like Australia some 14% are living at the margins. A disgrace how our living standards have been sacrificed over the past few decades just as a vote for the Lib's in number, will ensure more austerity on ever more people as more of their policies are introduced that failed a few years ago.

GarryP May 4th 2019 1:52 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12678773)
It's got so bad, basically almost anybody apart from the Far Right knuckle jobs apart from the present incumbents. .

"Dartboard 2019 - The Smarter Alternative"

You put various policies around the dartboard and randomly pick someone to throw a dart at the dartboard. They you carry out the policy hit.

By random chance you are likely to beat the politicians.

Key thing in reality is you have to have 'representatives' that will try and build things, actively solve problems, and who lose an appendage every time they get caught in corrupt and/or criminal activities.

Beoz May 5th 2019 11:37 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12679085)
Here's an idea. Cutting taxes to the well heeled not the best idea nor allowing big business to get round paying taxes. The more they cut, the less for social services, education, hospitals.
A disgrace in a place like Australia some 14% are living at the margins. A disgrace how our living standards have been sacrificed over the past few decades just as a vote for the Lib's in number, will ensure more austerity on ever more people as more of their policies are introduced that failed a few years ago.

Well we all know that "well heeled" individuals pay more tax than the rest of us. The top 10% of earners pay 50% of all tax in Australia. That myth doesn't really work any more. It's coming unstuck.

As for companies I see today BS is going to refuse tax deductions for companies who have links to tax havens such as Ireland. Wow. You have an office in Ireland ..... boom .... no tax deductions.

So this means quite simply, Australia just becomes more costly to do business with, and being such a small market, and a costly market (rents, salaries, etc) why bother, just pull out, there goes the jobs, there goes many other tax revenues, there goes the other business and jobs that rely on the trickle down.

This guy is a bloody disaster. Can't wait to see the multinationals flee Australia.

What this disaster of a union puppet doesn't realise is that pushing money through other countries is a global affair, not an Australian one. Australia is a tiny market. There is very little need for multi nationals to be here. Until a global tax stance is in place, some type of global tax treaty, Australia should be doing everything to entice, not sending them away, but that's the type of destroyers the ALP are.