Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Earthquake, What Earthquake?

Earthquake, What Earthquake?

Old Feb 15th 2015, 9:20 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Earthquake, What Earthquake?

Apparently just before 2am this morning we had an earthquake with a magnitude of 5.4. I just assumed it was Deb snoring that woke the dog but it would appear that there is some structural damage to properties just down the road from us.
The epicenter was Eidsvold some 150k away as the crow flies so I'm doubting the local damage reports.
Could just be that the local cinema was full of local 'ladies' for a special viewing of 50 Shades Of Grey, Deb went..........

Link
Old Feb 15th 2015, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquake, What Earthquake?

It's all over the news - have to get in contact with my cousin in Gayndah and see what all the fuss is about.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 1:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Earthquakes @ GA — Earthquake Details

Pretty sizeable for Queensland, think its the biggest for quite a few years. Geoscience Aus reckon they have reports of it being felt as far away as Brisbane and Rockhampton.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 9:02 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Earthquakes @ GA — Earthquake Details

Pretty sizeable for Queensland, think its the biggest for quite a few years. Geoscience Aus reckon they have reports of it being felt as far away as Brisbane and Rockhampton.
When I left this morning Fraser Coast Chronicle was reporting 5.4. By the time I got to work it was 5.2. Now the same article is down to 5.1 lol Typical QLD style, start big & come down to reality.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 11:49 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
When I left this morning Fraser Coast Chronicle was reporting 5.4. By the time I got to work it was 5.2. Now the same article is down to 5.1 lol Typical QLD style, start big & come down to reality.
The official report that came through to us almost straightaway was 5.2, followed by a 2.9 aftershock.

Knowing the Courier though I'm surprised they didn't have it higher still
Old Feb 17th 2015, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience in NZ, usually the first report is only a guesstimate of the magnitude. The revised figures are when they start examining the data coming through from the measuring equipment. The other thing I learnt from NZ was that the magnitude isn't the best indicator of whether you feel it or not, it is the depth and epicentre.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 12:10 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by cappuccino
From my experience in NZ, usually the first report is only a guesstimate of the magnitude. The revised figures are when they start examining the data coming through from the measuring equipment. The other thing I learnt from NZ was that the magnitude isn't the best indicator of whether you feel it or not, it is the depth and epicentre.
Yep, the depth and the position of the faultline etc all contribute to how strongly its felt - same as making it tsunamigenic if its offshore - a really deep quake has less chance of producing a tsunami. Very common to see the magnitude corrected several times too before the data gets finalised.
The very first report of the Eidsvold quake was actually a 6.7 but this was quickly discounted and corrected by GA before anyone could do much with it - I'm not sure that the 6.7 even reached the general population as it was corrected so quickly in the early hours of the morning.
Wish I'd been on shift, we'd have been spluttering coffee everywhere with an alleged 6.7 in Queensland
Old Feb 18th 2015, 10:04 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Earthquake, What Earthquake?

For major earthquakes we usually use the Mercalli scale now rather than simple magnitude.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 11:52 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Who is We?
Old Feb 18th 2015, 11:52 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Charismatic
For major earthquakes we usually use the Mercalli scale now rather than simple magnitude.
define 'we'?

As you will see from my link above GA still reports as ML and thats what Queensland government uses when alerting their stakeholders.
Near Eidsvold, QLD.
Magnitude: 5.1 (ML)
Depth: 15 km
Tsunamigenic: Not available

Also if you refer to a quake as having a Modified Mercali of 5.2 in the barbie all you will get from most people is a MAgnitude means something to people and as it is still a well recongised term it makes more sense to use it so people understand what is going on.
In New Zealand I can see that many people will be more familiar with scales and details of how quakes are measured. But this is Queensland, lets keep it simple
Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:54 am

Earthquake Monday, Cyclone Friday. Keeping us on our toes this week
Old Feb 19th 2015, 8:23 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

It's when the plague of frogs hops up that you will really realise that someone up there doesn't like you.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by GarryP
It's when the plague of frogs hops up that you will really realise that someone up there doesn't like you.
Frogs or Cane Toads?
Old Feb 19th 2015, 10:29 am
Home and Happy

What didn't get shaken apart will get blown down

So tell me, do you ever regret moving to the arse end of nowhere?
Old Feb 19th 2015, 1:37 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
What didn't get shaken apart will get blown down

So tell me, do you ever regret moving to the arse end of nowhere?
If I may interject ... No I don't actually ... I like s challenge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.