Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Old Aug 16th 2017, 10:23 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Originally Posted by Beoz
That's not debating. That's name calling.
I'm not debating. As you have pointed up many times in the past, you're not up to it since you attempt to distort and pervert facts, and ignore them when they trouble you. There is no debate.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 10:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I had no clue I was both an Aussie and British citizen by birth and decent until I needed to work in both countries. Why would I check or care? I probably wouldn't check if I was an MP, until this debacle broke out.
So if you had decided to go into politics, you wouldn't have read all the rules and regulations and seen what you can and can't do?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
So if you had decided to go into politics, you wouldn't have read all the rules and regulations and seen what you can and can't do?
Yep I would have read the rules and if I had not activily sought citizenship the last thing I would assume is that some country would have given it to me, without being a willing participant.

For heavens sake, most people don't know the difference between a passport and citizenship.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

How? I have ancestry through England, France, one of the Scandinavian countries (not sure which), Australia, and Ireland. That's what I do know. There is probably more that I don't. So I would have to renounce through every country in Europe just to be sure.

Get real.
See BiP's reply quoted below.....

Originally Posted by BritInParis

Except it's a widely publicised legal requirement in order to became an MP or senator. As you say, you didn't bother to find out for sure until you needed to. If you wanted to run for Parliament it's a reasonable assumption you would have done the same.
That's exactly the point I was making when Beoz told me to "get real". Seems pretty real to me. Its nothing less than negligent not to look into it when it is a requirement for the job.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:41 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I would have read the rules and if I had not activily sought citizenship the last thing I would assume is that some country would have given it to me, without being a willing participant.

For heavens sake, most people don't know the difference between a passport and citizenship.
I would sincerely hope that even the most clueless MP was aware tof the difference there.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I would sincerely hope that even the most clueless MP was aware tof the difference there.
This. Or at least if they don't, their party officials assisting him would.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
I'm not debating. As you have pointed up many times in the past, you're not up to it since you attempt to distort and pervert facts, and ignore them when they trouble you. There is no debate.
Aawwwww
Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't let your knowledge of visas, immigration, citizenship, etc sucked up on BE cloud your judgement on that.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 12:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Don't let your knowledge of visas, immigration, citizenship, etc sucked up on BE cloud your judgement on that.
So it doesn't matter that the MPs involved made a false declaration, because they didn't understand what they were signing?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 12:14 pm
Home and Happy

I actually have very little knowledge of visas, immigration and citizenship, just stuff I've picked u on here.
When dealing with my own visas and citizenship I have used registered agents and the official websites as the definitive source of information and you'll often see me recommending that on here for others.

That aside, I stand by what I said - I would have serious doubts about any MP who did not understand the difference between citizenship and a passport.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 12:23 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Is it any wonder that Australia is so mismanaged when this is the standard of people supposed to be making complex decisions?
Australia is not mismanaged. It could definitely be managed better and more efficiently but we are not mismanaged. A nation does not get to be how Australia is (ie more wealthy, prosperous and economically successful than your homeland) if it is mismanaged

Macro economics 101
Old Aug 16th 2017, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BritInParis
No, I said the opposite of that. Joyce's father would not have received Australian citizenship in 1949 as he had not resided in Australia long enough to be eligible. He would have only been eligible for NZ citizenship. In order to became an Australian citizen he would have needed to apply for naturalisation.

Except it's a widely publicised legal requirement in order to became an MP or senator. As you say, you didn't bother to find out for sure until you needed to. If you wanted to run for Parliament it's a reasonable assumption you would have done the same.

It's hardly an obscure situation given his father was born in NZ. Joyce has just been lazy and, unlike Iran, NZ does let its citizens renounce.
Do you know what the citizenship rules were in Australia back in '49?

Meanwhile, did Barnaby register?

New Zealand citizenship by descent

The following persons born or adopted outside New Zealand qualify to become New Zealand citizens by descent:

1. those between 1949 and 1977 with a father who is a New Zealand citizen otherwise than by descent at the time of birth or the final adoption order

2. those on or after 1 January 1978 with a parent who is a New Zealand citizen otherwise than by descent at the time of birth or the final adoption order

3. those born on or after 1 January 1978 with a parent who is a New Zealand citizen by descent at the time of birth or the final adoption order who would otherwise be stateless

In order to claim their New Zealand citizenship, these people must register their citizenship by descent at the Citizenship Office.

Old Aug 16th 2017, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
So it doesn't matter that the MPs involved made a false declaration, because they didn't understand what they were signing?
Barnaby says he has previously checked with NZ and they have said "No Citizen". No evidence produced.

Penny Wong also claims the same. No evidence produced.

If both are telling the truth then they understood what they were signing ..... right?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 12:51 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know what the citizenship rules were in Australia back in '49?

Meanwhile, did Barnaby register?

New Zealand citizenship by descent
Directly from the NZ website https://www.govt.nz/browse/nz-passpo...u-need-to-know :

If you were born overseas and at least 1 of your parents is a New Zealand citizen by birth or grant, you are an NZ citizen by descent. To get yourself an NZ passport, you need to register your citizenship. You can order a passport at the same time by ticking a box on the form.
As has been pointed out numerous times, including by the NZ PM, if you are a citizen by descent, they you are. Registering it just means you are in the records and can get a passport. It doesn't change your status.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Directly from the NZ website https://www.govt.nz/browse/nz-passpo...u-need-to-know :

As has been pointed out numerous times, including by the NZ PM, if you are a citizen by descent, they you are. Registering it just means you are in the records and can get a passport. It doesn't change your status.
What's with the fun time link? "Hey you wanna join us in NZid?" Its like a marketing website buying a population.

You believe the NZ PM? I thought you didn't believe politicians? Only when it suits hey?

This high court thing should be fun. Pouring over Australian and New Zealand law. Can't wait. Its just like Oscar Pistorius all over again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.