Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Old Aug 18th 2017, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship A Barrier ?

Originally Posted by GarryP
Sigh, no.

It really is complicated, I've spent some time looking through the laws, what with Cyprus being a colony and laws changing a few times. Personally I think he's going to be found to a dual citizen, but it's a whole other class of complexity to Mr 5-Min-Check Joyce.
Yeah Joyce is real simple when his father was a British subject an all. (His father was NEVER a kiwi by his own undertaking)

Suit your own agenda again
Old Aug 18th 2017, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
But you can't discriminate and say its OK to be a citizen of the UK, and not of - for instance - Spain, or India, or Russia, can you.
I could but then just common sense thee is a huge difference between Britain/Canada compared to India or Russia in terms of affinity and alliance with NZ.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 10:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Plenty to pour over in points 2 and 3.
That or it actually confirms what has already been said repeatedly.

Yeah Joyce is real simple when his father was a British subject an all. (His father was NEVER a kiwi by his own undertaking)

Suit your own agenda again
Sigh. Everyone living in the British Empire was a British subject until 1949 and then they weren't. Unless he naturalised as an Australian citizen Joyce's father has only ever been a Kiwi since. Just because he left New Zealand two years prior didn't magically place him in some kind of citizenship stasis. To cap it all off the NZ government has already confirmed Joyce is a NZ citizen so I'm not really sure why you're still trying to argue the toss.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 11:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I'm not really sure why you're still trying to argue the toss.
To parody a quite amusing TV advertisement - it's a fing. It's a Beoz fing.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 12:59 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It shows how much I don't watch Australian commercial TV that I have no idea what that advert is.

Dobby is FREEEEEEEE !!!!
Old Aug 19th 2017, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That or it actually confirms what has already been said repeatedly.

Sigh. Everyone living in the British Empire was a British subject until 1949 and then they weren't. Unless he naturalised as an Australian citizen Joyce's father has only ever been a Kiwi since. Just because he left New Zealand two years prior didn't magically place him in some kind of citizenship stasis. To cap it all off the NZ government has already confirmed Joyce is a NZ citizen so I'm not really sure why you're still trying to argue the toss.
Errrrrr. Difference argument sport. Is this all you have? Perhaps focus on whether one citizenship was more complex than the other.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sigh (This sigh thing really works) See above.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 3:21 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh, no.

It really is complicated, I've spent some time looking through the laws, what with Cyprus being a colony and laws changing a few times. Personally I think he's going to be found to a dual citizen, but it's a whole other class of complexity to Mr 5-Min-Check Joyce.
Word has come in, and he IS a dual citizen, via the "British Overseas Citizen" ruleset that I was trying to figure out (yes it is complicated).

Nick Xenophon confirmed as dual citizen of the United Kingdom

And he's refusing to step aside. Another one with wonky ethics.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Word has come in, and he IS a dual citizen, via the "British Overseas Citizen" ruleset that I was trying to figure out (yes it is complicated).

Nick Xenophon confirmed as dual citizen of the United Kingdom

And he's refusing to step aside. Another one with wonky ethics.
I suspect he will be fine. He has already renounced one citizenship in the past and this will demonstrate efforts to abide by section 44.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 6:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

This law is an ass
Old Aug 19th 2017, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This law is an ass
Can you imagine the amount of time Labor MP's and their staff are pouring over the family tree's of anyone who is not Labor, foreign citizenship laws, trying to create a stitch up? These Labor wasters should but hung for wasting our money.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 7:23 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Can you imagine the amount of time Labor MP's and their staff are pouring over the family tree's of anyone who is not Labor, foreign citizenship laws, trying to create a stitch up? These Labor wasters should but hung for wasting our money.
On the other hand, shouldn't we expect our politician's to be competent. If they are asked to sign that they do not have any other citizenships, or claims to one, is it too much to ask that they take 5 minutes to check. In most of the cases so far, that would have been all it took.

Additionally, it would be interesting to know that having 'discovered' they are dual citizens, how many have taken steps to now renounce that second citizenship.

All of the political parties should have processes in place to ensure that members remain within this law, and all laws really. Everyone is fed up with self serving politicians on all sides.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 7:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It shows how much I don't watch Australian commercial TV that I have no idea what that advert is.

Dobby is FREEEEEEEE !!!!
It (the ad) is a Sky favourite at half-time. Scouse watches the football, I only watch this advert I live in the UK.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 7:55 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Everyone is fed up with self serving politicians on all sides.
Count me in with the everyone
Old Aug 19th 2017, 7:58 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Count me in with the everyone
Thanks SoS

(It was a bit of a generalisation wasn't it - oops )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.